Veloster Turbo Forum banner

TurboMatte Build thread

102K views 433 replies 71 participants last post by  WilliamDearborn 
#1 ·
Day 1, August 10th 2013,

I have been looking at the Veloster for some time now and drooling every time I have seen one on the road. I heard they were comming out with a Turbo model so I had built one online through Hyundai's website I added all the things I wanted. I was all set to go test drive one and place my order but I decided that maybe I should do a search for a used one to see what was out there and if it was something I could live with. As luck would have it I did a search and there she was, the EXACT same VT I had built on their website a 2013 Matte Gray VT w/ Manual trans and the blue interior. I went and rescued her from the dealership at JM Lexus in Pompano Beach FL. She was used but only had 1937 miles. So thanks for whomever bought and returned this and got me a $6k discount :sorry:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hyundai veloster

8/17/13 Didnt take long before I pulled out the old cans of Plasti-Dip and painted the rims black, blacked out the emblems, and got rid of those nasty orange pieces of my headlights.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Hyundai
Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Motor vehicle

For the headlights I used about 4 coats of black then a few coats of gray Plasti-Dip, the gray is... not even close but it looks good from a distance. Ill be putting another coat of black on top of it cause the shades of gray are just too far off. The plasti-Dip is just too light.

Anyways I have been doing a ton of research and stalking this forum for a week or so and have found some interesting things. BPV to BOV was done within the first few days of owning it, and the SRI was the next thing to go on. And my to do list is growing more every day. Definately going to muck with the grille and see what I can come up with, I like the ones that have no emblems or plate mount on the front. I will post up some pics of the process when I get around to it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
BOOM! tinted up the Batmobile yesterday. went a bit dark but it looks great and keeps a ton of the FL heat out. also did the garage door lip but decided to go all the way around the car so it gives it a little more of a lowered look. I threw in a better pic of the headlights. Im considering baking them cause I dont really like the plasti-dip on the outside. I might go with this stuff I saw in advanced auto parts that changes chrome into black chrome, I think that would look wicked inside the lights on this color. Gotta do what I can get away with cause I promised the wife I wouldnt go overboard with this one like I did on my Jeep. The actual deal was "No major mechanical upgrades" Imma regret that promise for sure.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hyundai veloster

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Hood

#4 ·
This car looks mad. Love the skirts and lip. Im getting the Aus petrol grey version soon. First trip is tint, then to exhaust center, then plasti dip...
I have no idea how to do that, but Im sure I will work it out...

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments!

Plasti-dip has got to be the easiest stuff you have ever used. just clean the area to be painted. I did this after a wash so I didnt use any special cleaner or anything. For the wheels I removed them from the car then removed the screws holding in the plastic "gunmetal inserts" then applied about 4-5 coats on each wheel. No need to tape or mask them off cause the plasti-dip peels right off the tire. I did 2 wheels at a time. I put one coat on the first wheel then went to the next wheel, then right back to the first wheel. This should give it ample drying time between coats. You dont need to do heavy coats. You want it to dry inbetween coats so a bunch of light coats is better than heavy coats.

Basically the same for the lights. I did tape those off and that took more time than actually painting them. Its rough getting them to look the same, I think I did a decent job of that. The thing to remember here is that when you peel the tape off it will peel some of the plasti-dip cause its just a rubber coating after all. What I did was take a razor and score (lightly cut) the plastidip. this is kinda scarry cause if you go too deep you will cut your headlights. See if this makes sense, I cut along the tape towards the tape, not straight down. So the razor was running parallel to the headlight. Yea, hope you can make sense of that, really dont know how else to expalin it. and if you get finished and decide you dont like it, just peel it off. Imagine peeling skin after a really bad sunburn. its that easy, its not permanent, its easy stuff to work with, and did I mention its not permanent? lol have fun with the stuff, WARNING: IT'S VERY ADDICTIVE!!! Don't say I didnt warn you...

#8 ·
Yea I saw that it looks great!

#9 ·
Here is my car with black plastidipped wheels as well. Very easy stuff to use.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Motor vehicle

#11 ·
Me likey! The grille will definately be my next project. Gotta get a couple from the stealership and see what I can come up with. I like the factory grille but hate that stupid brick in the middle and I could definately do without the Hyundai logo up there too. The billet looks good too but it just doesnt do it for me like the full stock style grille.

#12 ·
the billet grille was a bear to install. Very labor intensive. I don't expect everything to bolt right in with no minor tweaks but this one was tough.

#13 ·
I figured that about the grille, I looked at it when I removed it for the HID install and it doesnt look fun to remove, replace, or modify. I did get my HID's in yesterday tho. no major issues that I wanst expecting. I used the relays but didnt need the can-bus or the capacitor. And after reading some of the horror stories from others I was expexting a bear of an install. Honestly taking the bumper off was the easiest part... worst was the modification of the H7 mount to get the high beams in. Also I ordered my ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner today so that should be fun to play with in a few days. Pics to come shortly.

#14 ·
Reactions: Magneticmuffin
#16 ·
What did you use do to the all around lip? I wish to do this with mine to get that "lowered" look and to give it a bit of added protection.

#17 ·
Garage door weather strip, I picked it up at Home depot. It took about 24 ft to go around the whole car so I had to buy 2 packs of the 16ft but they were only around $15 each so not that bad imo. If I had to do it again I would move the side ones back under the car a bit cause I hit my leg on it sometimes when getting into the car. heres a pic of the stuff:
Synthetic rubber

Reactions: Trajic_1
#19 ·
I used 1/4 inch stainless steel screws every 4-6 inches or so and screwed it into the plastic under the car. The kit came with large plastic washers so I used those also. It was quite easy and only took about 1 hour from opening the package to clean up. Little tip, when doing the front bumper, start in the middle of the bumper and go towards the tires it will make the corners much easier and cleaner to go around. I got the front bumper, one side skirt, and the rear pieces from one package, so you will have plenty left over.

#365 ·
after you put the lip on did it relax and drop like it is in the pics. I started on this yesterday and then took off the front (all the further I got because no sun left). Also, did you use 3M double sticky to mount before screwing it in? I was placing screws every 5" and noticed sag in between even though I had some tension on the lip.

#21 ·
2000 Wrangler Sport

went from this:

to this:

In a matter of 2 years. Theres so much you can do with Jeeps its not even funny, they are a money pit. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket and its the damn truth lol. my routine was Wheel it, break it, fix it, repeat. Definately shouldnt have been my daily driver.

#23 ·
There is no need to mask off the tires when you paint the rims, ill see if I can find a picture of my buddy peeling the excess off his tire. It really is that easy. the dip doesnt stick to the tire at all. The first time I did my rims (on the Jeep) I wasted the time taping the tires off and masking them. What a waste of time, cause the dip stuck to the tape and peeled some off of the rim when I removed it. When I reshot it I figured I would cut the excess off but theres really no need since there is a gap between the rim and tire where the dip doesnt connect.

#25 ·
Turbomatte what lip are you talking about??? Do you have a better pic? I didn't notice it when we met the other day.

#27 · (Edited)
Ok... so for those who dont like to scroll up ;) we are talking about Plasti-dip on your rims. Plasti-dip

Product

Is a spray on rubberized coating which is easily removable

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim

It comes in a variety of colors Yellow, gray, white, red, clear, blue, and black. It is perfect for that person who wants to customize their car without it being a permanent addition.

Now that thats all cleared up JGunz18 if you are talking about the Kendall meet and greet I didnt make it there since thats about 1.5 hr drive for me... So I think it was someone else (cant remember his handle atm, edit: just found it kcc1982) Ill get a better pic of the lip and post it up. I know it makes it kinda confusing when other people post up pics of their cars in your build thread...

#28 ·
Heres some different angles on the lip:

And just for reference here's a pic without the lip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.