Veloster Turbo Forum

A great wax

This is a discussion on A great wax within the Product Reviews forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; 10 bucks a can for collinite, you can even wash your car with Dawn Dish Liquid and it will not peel it off....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A great wax

I Need A Zesty Drink

10 bucks a can for collinite, you can even wash your car with Dawn Dish Liquid and it will not peel it off.
    riktar likes this.
    Vitamin C Turbo
    Many Mods
    III%, Oath Keeper, BUBBA Army

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    4 walls 2 balls

I've gotten into detailing over the past 5-6 years and after trying serveral products from multiple companies (pinnacle/meguiars/griots/menzerna/ etc ) and layering them, this is the combo i've found has given the best gloss / finish / depth.

After a full detail/wash
    - Base Layer of collinite 845, this stuff is simply the best base coat i've ever seen. Goes on super easy and and tough as hell!
    Collinite 845 Insulator Wax - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-After base layer fully applied and cured, top off with a wax, i personally go with Collinite 476S -
    Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax - 9 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-Sealant. I use black fire wet diamond as a sealant.
    This is the MAGICAL ingredient for me. The closest product to this is the menezerna power lock but this is by far much easier to work with and just made everything pop. While the collinite stack is more than adequate and will make your car pop, this just takes it a step further. Also applying this every 2-3 months or so will make water bead right off the car. not to mention this makes the car INCREDIBLY smooth.
    Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

once again you don't need these 3 stacked any 1 by itself will do the trick, but a base + wax is usually what i recommend, the sealant is just for additional peace of mind. Also keep in mind give it time to cure. I usually wait 1-2 hours in between waxes and apply sealant the following morning, or 6 hrs+ if im in a rush.
    '14 Cristal Black Silica WRX - WRX Build Thread
    '13 6M/T Elite White VT - My Build Thread - Gone

I Need A Zesty Drink

Sounds like a great combo!
    Vitamin C Turbo
    Many Mods
    III%, Oath Keeper, BUBBA Army

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Blue, but not sad :)

Quote Originally Posted by riktar View Post
    I've gotten into detailing over the past 5-6 years and after trying serveral products from multiple companies (pinnacle/meguiars/griots/menzerna/ etc ) and layering them, this is the combo i've found has given the best gloss / finish / depth.

After a full detail/wash
    - Base Layer of collinite 845, this stuff is simply the best base coat i've ever seen. Goes on super easy and and tough as hell!
    Collinite 845 Insulator Wax - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-After base layer fully applied and cured, top off with a wax, i personally go with Collinite 476S -
    Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax - 9 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

-Sealant. I use black fire wet diamond as a sealant.
    This is the MAGICAL ingredient for me. The closest product to this is the menezerna power lock but this is by far much easier to work with and just made everything pop. While the collinite stack is more than adequate and will make your car pop, this just takes it a step further. Also applying this every 2-3 months or so will make water bead right off the car. not to mention this makes the car INCREDIBLY smooth.
    Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

once again you don't need these 3 stacked any 1 by itself will do the trick, but a base + wax is usually what i recommend, the sealant is just for additional peace of mind. Also keep in mind give it time to cure. I usually wait 1-2 hours in between waxes and apply sealant the following morning, or 6 hrs+ if im in a rush.
    Thanks for the great information! I detailed 35 years ago but everything I learned is technologically irrelevant now.

Are you saying that you apply the base, wait 1-2 hours, and then apply the wax over the top of it, not buffing for an additional 1-2 hours after that? You being a close neighbor I won't ask too many trade secrets, but what type of buffing heads do you use after allowing that much cure time?
    riktar likes this.
    2014 Veloster Turbo Marathon Blue R-spec

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    4 walls 2 balls

I'm a fan of lake country pads. I've used a few others and they all do the job but lake country was cheaper / and easier to work with, plus they offer a cornucopia of pads and applicators.
    they look like this:

D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing
    specs:
    Specifications - D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing

I use the black ccs finessing to apply the 845 base wax, let it sit for 10-15 mins until it hazes and then use a MF towel to wipe (old school, break the wax and start going in circles)

wait an hr or so

Use another black ccs finessing pad for the 476S wax, let it sit for another 10-15 mins until haze, then MF towel to buff it off.

Wait another hr (if you're in a rush) or 4-6 hours if you've got time to kill.

then hit it up with the pièce de résistance. I use a red ccs finishing pad to apply the blackfire wet diamond sealant, a little bit goes a very long way, and then let it haze up and break it. If you do not have a smile from ear to ear as you're buffing it wrong then money back guaranteed! (jk i'm not refunding anything :P)

the wait times are approximate, if it's hot and dry then you will cut your wait time. Some people wait 15-20 mins between waxes, and others apply sealant right away but i just like to wait for the panels to cool and let everything cure. Waxes go on very very easy so it's a short process anyways.
    Last edited by riktar; 01-08-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Blue, but not sad :)

Quote Originally Posted by riktar View Post
    I'm a fan of lake country pads. I've used a few others and they all do the job but lake country was cheaper / and easier to work with, plus they offer a cornucopia of pads and applicators.
    they look like this:

D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing
    specs:
    Specifications - D.A. Foam Pads | Buffing & Polishing Products From Lake Country Manufacturing

I use the black ccs finessing to apply the 845 base wax, let it sit for 10-15 mins until it hazes and then use a MF towel to wipe (old school, break the wax and start going in circles)

wait an hr or so

Use another black ccs finessing pad for the 476S wax, let it sit for another 10-15 mins until haze, then MF towel to buff it off.

Wait another hr (if you're in a rush) or 4-6 hours if you've got time to kill.

then hit it up with the pièce de résistance. I use a red ccs finishing pad to apply the blackfire wet diamond sealant, a little bit goes a very long way, and then let it haze up and break it. If you do not have a smile from ear to ear as you're buffing it wrong then money back guaranteed! (jk i'm not refunding anything :P)

the wait times are approximate, if it's hot and dry then you will cut your wait time. Some people wait 15-20 mins between waxes, and others apply sealant right away but i just like to wait for the panels to cool and let everything cure. Waxes go on very very easy so it's a short process anyways.
    Cool, cool, cool...thanks again! So if I make a drive north and throw you some business do I get to watch?
    2014 Veloster Turbo Marathon Blue R-spec

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    4 walls 2 balls

Lol i'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, those are the guys spreading on $1200 wax and hand massaging their car's asses lol I just like to play with paste

Banned
    So much to do, so little
    time...

I've used 3M's High Gloss Cleaner Wax on all my cars & will continue to use it. Leaves her beading for months

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    4 walls 2 balls

you COULD use just the sealant alone, or either waxes alone.

check this out

1985 Ferrari 288 GTO | Ask a Pro Blog

if it's good enough for that, it's good enough for my car :P.

Banned
    So much to do, so little
    time...

^^^^^Sick!!!!!! That stuff is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links