Anyone install Custom Car Grills mesh?

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on Anyone install Custom Car Grills mesh? within the Veloster Appearance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Looking to go the DIY method for a grill since I have the tools and steady hand. Also spending $80 instead of $200+ sounds a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone install Custom Car Grills mesh?

This user has no status.

Looking to go the DIY method for a grill since I have the tools and steady hand. Also spending $80 instead of $200+ sounds a lot better.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...Hyun_Velo_T_12
    orbeavhawk likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by burntovel View Post
    Looking to go the DIY method for a grill since I have the tools and steady hand. Also spending $80 instead of $200+ sounds a lot better.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...Hyun_Velo_T_12
    I bought the same one. Haven't installed it yet. Lol

This user has no status.

I tried but I got sag and due to the humidity the paint wouldn't dry without orange pealing. I can ship you what I have and you can sand and repaint it to get be ok I bet.

Where in east texas are you?

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by christobevii3 View Post
    I tried but I got sag and due to the humidity the paint wouldn't dry without orange pealing. I can ship you what I have and you can sand and repaint it to get be ok I bet.

Where in east texas are you?
    When you say you got "sag" can you be more specific? I'm near Marshall.

This user has no status.

My folks can drop it off next month. Sag is from using zip ties. The top of the grill will pull the plastic down somewhat and put a gap between the plastic and hood. If you get a bug deflector you won't notice or do it a little bit at a time. I have the slotted black metal one and cut. You could probably reuse the metal grill and repaint the plastic and be ok.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by christobevii3 View Post
    My folks can drop it off next month. Sag is from using zip ties. The top of the grill will pull the plastic down somewhat and put a gap between the plastic and hood. If you get a bug deflector you won't notice or do it a little bit at a time. I have the slotted black metal one and cut. You could probably reuse the metal grill and repaint the plastic and be ok.
    Awesome. Anyway you can shoot me a pic of it... You can post it here or email me at burntomaro@gmail.com

This user has no status.

This post is about where I got stuck with paint bubbling. If you just sand with sponges, tape a lot, and spray you'll probably get it on a lower humidity day.

Trying a grill

yikes

I have it. Was a bit of a pain finding epoxy that'll stick, but I love the look.

I do get a bit of sag, but there was a post bouncing around here about how to deal with that so I'm not worried. Here's a pic.

orbeavhawk likes this.
    2014 VT AT Matte Grey

Tork Stage 1 Tune | Injen CAI | NGK 1422 Spark Plugs | SOLO Downpipe | SOLO Exhaust | ORHP | TurboXS Hybrid BOV | 6EE Dual Catch Cans

Pierce Strut Bar | Pierce Torsion Bar | Rigid Collars

Mehh...

There really isn't a good way to do these grills because that company doesn't give you enough material, its cut too close. In order to get the grill to stay on you need the zip ties to pull the grill into place causing gap. They even say it wont fit perfect and you'll have to play with it because of "a subtle bend in the frame", watch the install video.. Some people get a lot of sag, some a little but its always there. My suggestion would be to find a material you like and buy the right size this way it comes out better. If the sag is okay with you go for it, personally every time I see it I shake my head cuz I think it looks terrible.
    orbeavhawk likes this.

I wash my car a quarter panel
    at a time...

I got a piece of their scrap mesh for my hood vents. Their stuff is good quality, and the shipping wasn't bad. I have read some reviews that their pre-cut grills are cut a bit close to secure around the opening. My suggestion would be to measure the opening and order a piece big enough to cover it with an inch or so overlap and trim it yourself. It's a bit tedious to get the edges trimmed and rolled to fit perfectly, but a LOT easier to attach. as for how to attach, they sell Automotive Goop that works pretty well. After you get the grill fitted on, you can spread the goop across the edges and use a small disposable paint brush to help even it out and get it through the mesh onto the plastic. Afterwards, lay something across the backside to weight the grill down so it will set evenly. Let it set up for 24 hours, then put everything back together.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links