Weekend Spoiler Project - molded Sequence Devil replica

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on Weekend Spoiler Project - molded Sequence Devil replica within the Veloster Appearance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; I was going to spam up the "what did you do/get for your Veloster" thread, but figured this mini-project could use it's own space. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Weekend Spoiler Project - molded Sequence Devil replica

Spoiler alert

I was going to spam up the "what did you do/get for your Veloster" thread, but figured this mini-project could use it's own space.

I got it in my head I wanted a new spoiler , but frankly had a hard time finding any available styles that I really liked. The Sequence devil spoiler is an oldie, but one of the few that I like from *most* angles. Problem is, I didn't want to put holes the OEM spoiler on my Rally, risk tape, or otherwise make it more difficult to go back to stock. I needed both a Sequence spoiler, and a sacrificial OEM spoiler. So it was hunting time..

Special thanks to matemorh, who actually had Sequence "replica" and OEM spoiler lying around after cancelling his plans to do something similar. The replica part worked find for me -- saved having to fill in the dumb backward logo. He took the time to package them up for me. They arrived just in time for a weekend when I had an open schedule to get started.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_114502.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  156.9 KB

Apparently this orange spoiler has changed hands before, and once belonged to the famous Gaijiin. I should feel privileged to have a celebrity souvenir.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_120016.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  168.8 KB

Before I got ahead of myself, I wanted to make sure I would have no problems pulling the stock spoiler and swapping the third brake light. Off to a wonderful start, I got the spoiler off cleanly -- but dropped a nut in behind the trim piece on the right side. F**k... deal with that later. Ran a line of duct tape over the holes in case I had to go somewhere. The Veloster actually looks pretty slick spoilerless.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_170834.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  245.7 KB

Random fun fact. This little trim piece is stuck on with two-sided tape. A little heat might help with removal, or you can be a loser and come within a hair of snapping it, like I did. I recommend the former.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_171246.jpg
Size:  202.7 KB

I don't think I've actually seen a picture of how the brake light is held in. Here you go. Your rear window cleaner nozzle is tucked behind, and comes out with a couple tiny screws.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_171525.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  350.4 KB

Mission accomplished. I find it interesting that this upper brake light is apparently no longer available as a spare part for the Turbo model. They want you replace (and paint) the complete spoiler instead. I get that LED lamps seldom fail, but that is just the worst kind of retarded.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_171822.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  351.4 KB

Anyways, now confident I can switch everything over, I direct my attention to the new spoilers. The "correct" way of installing these is to screw the spoilers together, maybe with some 3M tape for backup. I didn't do it the correct way.

I mixed up an extra large batch of classic JB-weld, lined them up, and... realized there weren't any good surfaces to seat my clamps, and a half-assed application of literary pressure wasn't going to cut it.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_194646.jpg
Size:  263.0 KB

Plan B: A quick trip to borrow ratchet straps. Some dicey positioning of hooks (that really should be over some padding). Finally satisfied, I leave them to cure overnight. Some might point out I was foolish not to strip the paint off the OEM spoiler, but I was reasonably confident in adhesion of the existing paint and just roughed both sides up first.
    Name:  IMG_20170210_210959.jpg
Size:  324.4 KB

Later the next morning, I was happy to find them stuck together. I might have left it at that, but I'm not completely crazy. I didn't have the specs for the screws that were supposed to come with spoiler, and one of the holes was slightly damaged, so I put the next phase of my diabolical plan in motion. I drilled out the holes to a much larger size.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_124235.jpg
Size:  204.7 KB

I found some screws and washers that would fit through the holes, and drilled starter holes in the spoiler below. I taped these screws onto my driver, and fastened the spoilers together from the bottom.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_124305.jpg
Size:  222.4 KB

(continued in next post)
    Incognito and orbeavhawk like this.
    2016 Veloster Rally Edition
    Performance: SXTH SRI & Shifter Bushings / Xenon Element ORHP / NST Crank & WP pulleys / CNT Catback
    Handling: Pierce Rear Torsion Bar / Uniq Rigid Collars / Rev 75A Mount Inserts
    Interior: JCS Dual Pillar Pod / Defi Boost & Volt Gauges
    Exterior: 20% Tint / Hyundai Canada Hood Protector / Custom Molded-in 'Devil' Style Spoiler
    Misc: Saikou Michi dual OCC / Cerma Engine, Nano, Transmission Treatments

Spoiler alert

I wanted to keep a bit of a "sill" around the holes, so they would take body filler. I used Bondo Glass, because I'm easily manipulated by marketing. It sounded strong, and I wanted strong filler that for what I would do next.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_143518.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  261.2 KB

Fill all the things!
    Name:  IMG_20170211_150527.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  241.7 KB

I'm not exactly a great bodywork guy. Far from it. But I figured if I had a sacrificial spoiler, why not mold it into the aftermarket one and make it... less of an afterthought? It was a pain in the ass, but I gave it a shot.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_202758.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  218.7 KB

Test fitting to make sure I hadn't screwed up the transition around the brake light.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_222803.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  257.6 KB

Filled, glazed, sanded, and ready for some black "try to cover up my mistakes" primer.
    Name:  IMG_20170211_234807.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  242.3 KB

A few coats of satin black, and -- my single best decision of this project -- some MATTE clearcoat. I used a Duplicolor matte clear intended for wheels. It made the whole thing go from "Wow, those are some painfully obvious flaws" to "that's actually pretty acceptable". I was planning to go for a satin or matte look anyways, since it tied in with the rally wheels and paint.
    Name:  IMG_20170212_122626.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  211.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20170212_122643.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  199.0 KB

Make sure I can still get that brake light in with a few extra layers of paint, and snake the cables and washer hose through again.
    Name:  IMG_20170212_152332.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  265.5 KB

I'll spare you pictures of my crash course in removing the passenger side trim piece, breaking two clips, making the nut fly across the room, hunting for it, finding it, and laying on some Automotive Goop to hold the now looser section of trim.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Performance: SXTH SRI & Shifter Bushings / Xenon Element ORHP / NST Crank & WP pulleys / CNT Catback
    Exterior: 20% Tint / Hyundai Canada Hood Protector / Custom Molded-in 'Devil' Style Spoiler

Spoiler alert

Name:  IMG_20170212_154312.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  218.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170212_154328.jpg
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20170212_154349.jpg
Size:  285.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170212_154618.jpg
Size:  204.6 KB
    orbeavhawk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Nice job.
    Where did the devils replica come from and how do i get my hands on one? Thanks for the write up

Spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVelos View Post
    Nice job.
    Where did the devils replica come from and how do i get my hands on one? Thanks for the write up
    I'm not certain where it came from originally, but I suspect it might be made by Duraflex. If matemorh see this he might be able to confirm. Whether or not they manufactured it, I'm still impressed by the quality. It didn't seem at anything like a flimsy knock-off.
    Last edited by geekdragon; 02-12-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Premium Member
    Cold and waiting for summer!

With that donor spoiler we will keep watch on you ... if you start yelling about Cerma we will help you.
    Mr.MattyV and geekdragon like this.
    2014 Sprint Gray RSpec M/T
    Tork Down Pipe (Ceramic Coated)
    Tork Stage 1 Dyno Tune (241/221)
    Tork SRI
    Coated ORHP
    Cold pipe with Synapse DV
    Pierce front strut bar and rear torsion bar (red of course)
    SoCal Garage Works fog light screen
    Diode Dynamics Red interior LED Lighting
    Stay Fresh Products
    König Oversteer 18x8 5x114.3 (5x4.5) +45mm Opal
    Laufenn S Fit 245/40
    MIA Panda Solenoid Mod
    Dual Saikou Catch Cans
    Greddy Exhaust

Spoiler alert

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants a quick visual on removing the stock spoiler, I suggest this video (not mine, but thanks to the owner with their good taste in Veloster models):

Smarter than the avrage
    Schippy

Awesome work I was a tad skeptical but that worked out pretty smick. excellent work.
    13 Veloster Turbo SR/fs2 Auto
    BC Racing Coil over Suspension
    Pierce Motorsport Strut Bar
    Pierce Motorsport Single Cat Downpipe
    Custom JCA Dyno Tune
    M3 Duel Baffle Oil Catch Can System
    3.5 Carbon Fiber SRI
    Positive Pressure Carbon Air Box.
    Savini Forged 8.5x19 Wheels
    Kuhmo KU39 235x35x19" Rubber
    Custom Vibe 2000wrms Sound system
    Audison Bit One Sound Processor
    Sequence Devil Wing

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

We actually did this for a NAV owner
    Name:  16729720_1805565389708938_201403703_n.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  77.7 KB
    geekdragon likes this.

Spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Garage Works View Post
    We actually did this for a NAV owner
    Nice to see the result of some real paint and body skills. I wanted the edges of the old spoiler to completely disappear, but I can see how leaving a slight lip helps with the sight lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links