Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Front bumper sag

62K views 106 replies 40 participants last post by  Nizmo 
#1 ·
After taking my front bumper off and putting it back on a trillion times, It's decided to start sagging. I've taken it off and put it on more carefully making sure all the clips were in the right places, yet it still sags about half an inch roughly. Any ideas on how I should go about fixing it?

#2 ·
maybe add small spacers under the headlight clips?

#5 ·
Mine is like this also but I think my IC is pushing it down

#6 ·
mine sags a bit. but it has only been off 2 or 3 times. it is what it is.

#7 ·
i almost messed mine up by putting in the screw near the fender towards the side. somehow i managed to undue the damage but im afraid the next time i uninstall the bumper im doomed. lol i was sweating like crazy lol also, does anyone know the screw size for the bumper inside the engine bay? like the 4 screws that go up top... one somehow stripped and i need to get it replaced. it has the number 4 written and its a black one.

#16 ·
lol i know toad... Sorry man. Ill get pictures and get things rolling this weekend.. Just been busy..

I basically took some of the stock flimsy brackets and made some hand made ones out of 1/8 steel. The stock bracket allowed the bumper to drop about 1/2 inch.. The steel ones hold steady and hold the bumper in place even with out the headlight bracket and the Pierce crash bar. Whats taking me so long is i wanted to make sure it doesnt slowly start to sag over time.. So far they are working... They are far from pretty, but they work

I talked to Jim about making a kit for you guys and we will work out the details a bit more this weekend.. Im also incorporating some Dzus quick release fastners with this, but because of the thickness of the steel i used i need to find the right size...

#20 ·
Of course i didnt have time to take a pic of the brackets i made, but i did order some parts to finish up my whole idea. But i will show you this in case you want to get creative and give it a go. Im just so time strapped at the moment... Sorry

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

I circled the stock bracket that i replaced. These stock brackets are very flimsy and allow the bumper to sag. I replace them with steal brackets i cut and bent to match the stock (Held on by 10mm bolt), drillled a couple holes, and that was about it. With the brackets i made you dont even need to use the stupid phillips plastic screw things, but i will put some Dzus clips there for fun.

The whole idea is to come up with something that we can take the bumper on and off as fast as possible without hurting the structure or trying to get to custom on fab work. I want to be able to pull the bumper off in 30 seconds or less and have the lines look factory (IE no sag).

These simple brackets took about 1 hour to come up with and are strong enough to hold the whole bumper up on their own. Meaning you dont need the head light clips or crash bar at all. The side mounting locations will get Quick release buttons and the inner wheel well bolt will get removed. The under side fender liner will get Dzus clips... The upper four bolts i would love to get some Dzus clips but would require drilling the bolt holes and placing a Dzus tap insert in each hole. Although it would not be hard those clips are expensive, so i opted to go with Billet knobs to replace the four bolts.. If they suck ill keep looking for other options...

So to sum up all this.. Price wise.. The brackets will in all honesty be the cheapest part, the clips are EXPENSIVE. I spent $75 on bolts and Dzus clips!! So we will try to some thing worked out soon. But in the mean time feel free to be creative.. Grab some material and go to town!

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Of course i didnt have time to take a pic of the brackets i made, but i did order some parts to finish up my whole idea. But i will show you this in case you want to get creative and give it a go. Im just so time strapped at the moment... Sorry

PHOTO

I circled the stock bracket that i replaced. These stock brackets are very flimsy and allow the bumper to sag. I replace them with steal brackets i cut and bent to match the stock (Held on by 10mm bolt), drillled a couple holes, and that was about it. With the brackets i made you dont even need to use the stupid phillips plastic screw things, but i will put some Dzus clips there for fun.

The whole idea is to come up with something that we can take the bumper on and off as fast as possible without hurting the structure or trying to get to custom on fab work. I want to be able to pull the bumper off in 30 seconds or less and have the lines look factory (IE no sag).

These simple brackets took about 1 hour to come up with and are strong enough to hold the whole bumper up on their own. Meaning you dont need the head light clips or crash bar at all. The side mounting locations will get Quick release buttons and the inner wheel well bolt will get removed. The under side fender liner will get Dzus clips... The upper four bolts i would love to get some Dzus clips but would require drilling the bolt holes and placing a Dzus tap insert in each hole. Although it would not be hard those clips are expensive, so i opted to go with Billet knobs to replace the four bolts.. If they suck ill keep looking for other options...

So to sum up all this.. Price wise.. The brackets will in all honesty be the cheapest part, the clips are EXPENSIVE. I spent $75 on bolts and Dzus clips!! So we will try to some thing worked out soon. But in the mean time feel free to be creative.. Grab some material and go to town!
^^^This. Very nice. I dont have the tools with me to do this (recently moved) so im going to have to wait until it becomes available. Thanks for posting it up here though. Youve got a nice looking setup btw. And i agree it would be awesome to get the bumper on and off in under a minute.

#24 ·
Love your creativity Whiteboy!

Reactions: WhiteBoy
#30 ·
Well My car got backed into.. SO now that everything is bent its going to be awhile! Gosh dang it.. The sad part is i was going into the BOlt store to buy some more quick release bolts to test.. Everyone is Swamped until after SEMA, coupled with my car being broken its gonna be some time... Im waiting for the insurance to hurry the hell up and ill get back on this..

#31 ·
^^ That sucks :( Hope you are ok

#40 ·
I had a lady a month ago rear end in bumper-to-bumper traffic bc she was playing with her phone. Minimal damage, but still had to replace the rear bumper.

Also sagging bumper brackets...bc topic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.