Veloster Turbo Forum banner

LED hyperflashing

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  ELS 
#1 · (Edited)
when I replaced my headlights with the full exLED headlights, the turn signals flash faster than normal. I've read that all LED turn signals require a resistor to correct the hyperflashing.

These resistors came with the headlights, but no instructions for installation

I tapped the red/blue wire (+ turn signal) and grounded the other side to the negative battery.
I'm still getting hyperflashing, any ideas?

#3 · (Edited)
you need to put the resistor in series i believe to add resistance and the way you did it, is now a parallel circuit which makes your issue worse. re-wire the resistor to the positive wire only like a fuse. my theory is correct but maybee not for this application. It couldn't hurt.

#4 ·
Dcannon203, do you mean to cut the red/blue wire (+ turn signal) and put the resistor in-line?

#8 ·
Which pin is ground? There are 3 or 4 black ones.
Using a multimeter, only the top 3 wires have a constant 12V, the rest are all 0v.

#7 ·
Just tried in-line, does not help. I get the same results.
Note I also have the exLED rear reflector LED modules, but they seem to have some sort of resistor/capacitor/diode - something hard and round encased in heat-shrink and filled with glue.
I thought perhaps they were the cause of the hyperflashing.

#9 · (Edited)
grounds are what they call "common", so you can simply chassis ground it and it will do the same job for you. no need to find the ground wire on the harness. Resistors have no polarity so this whole module thing is weird to me.

#10 ·
That's what I first tried without any luck. Same bad luck tapping a ground on the plug. I'm about to contact exLED and see what they say.

#11 ·
The rears are completely different and have nothing to do with the turn signals flashing fast/slow. What you see is not a diode/resistor/capacitor.

Maybe your connection wasn't good on the turn +?

They need to be wired across the + and - of the turn signal. DO NOT CUT THE TURN + WIRE!!!!!

How to Connect Load Balancing Resistors to Turn Signal

As to which wires are the turn +, I don't know, but use this pinnage as a resource. Veloster KDM Headlight Pin Array

#12 ·
if all of your connections are correct, sometimes its just a matter of squeezing the vampire/splice clip a bit harder to obtain a good connection. i've ran into that issue more than a few times in my experience of LED-ing all of my lights.

make sure you squeeze the metal tab as far as it can go. squeeze it from each end in order to ensure a good splice.

#14 ·
I can't find the thread now, but I know I read on VT.org the red/blue wire (pin 8, I believe) was the + turn signal. According to Sam's pinout image above, it appears that pin 1 (brown) is the + turn. I get a constant 12v signal with a multimeter on all top 3 wires. I don't want to keep tapping wires until I find it.

Can someone verify which wire is + turn?

#15 ·
It's not brown. As indicated, those are the wire colors INSIDE the headlight. Turn + is in that position, though. Whatever color the wire is in that position will be your turn signal wire. When making that, There was no V available, only the headlight. Keep in mind that that's the plug on the headlight, not the connector. So...holding your connector to the headlight as if you were to plug it in...

#16 ·
~SOLVED~

Text Font Document Line Design

Pin 3 is the Turn Signal +.

Note the wire color is not the same for left and right side.

Reactions: 2mtech
#18 · (Edited)
I'm fairly certain the turn signal resistor is only needed in one location (per left & right).
when my turn signals flashed fast, both the flashers on the side mirrors and rear signals flashed fast.

if you have LEDs for turn signals in your taillights and stock headlights, you could put the resistors in the rear. again, one side of the resistor goes to Turn Signal +, the other to ground. it does not matter which side of the resistor goes to which.

Here's a pinout for the tail lights:
Text Font Line Design Parallel

Looks like you want pin 3 for Turn Signal + and pins 4/5 are grounds.

#20 ·
I would check where you got your light. I know Diode Dynamics sells one as well as exLED, both are active sponsors on here. Did you just replace the stock bulb with LED module or get the whole aftermarket tail light?

#22 ·
If you bought them from DD, then I would just get this from them. Else you'll need to find out the LED's operating current and use an online calculator like this one.

For a yellow LED similar to the one from DD, I would say a 3 Ohm resistor would do the trick.

Anyone with more experience want to jump in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.