Veloster Turbo Forum

Turbosocks / 845 FMIC reviews upgraded front mount

This is a discussion on Turbosocks / 845 FMIC reviews upgraded front mount within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by Turbosocks Also, nvyseal, you definitely have a leak judging by that sound, so first thing you need to do is locate it ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Turbosocks / 845 FMIC reviews upgraded front mount

bloop bloop...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbosocks View Post

Also, nvyseal, you definitely have a leak judging by that sound, so first thing you need to do is locate it before anything else can be done.

Without the BOV hooked up it wont open under a shift condition. The only time it will open under a load condition is if the boost pressure overpowers the spring pressure..

What spring setup do you have in the BOV?

Gotta really tighten the couplers and make sure that the t-bolt is on the opposite side of the rolled end.. If you tighten it all cock eyed on the rolled part, you are creating a leak.

Like I said, it would be very rare for the intercooler or pipes to have a missed weld which would be the only other possibility of a leak and you should be able to visually see a missed weld if you can hear it like that.

If you can hear the leak, the odds of it being at a coupler or at the BOV are very very good.

Again, the car should pull a bit better than without the FMIC, if it does that you are most likely golden (nvyseal obviously has a leak) If you are just going based off the intake sound slightly changing than it is probably in your head.

Best ways to diagnose a true leak that I use is:

-a noticeable difference in the intake and 'leak' sounds.
    -slow spool
    -torque app or similar peak boost under 15lbs in 3rd gear run

on the t-bolt clamps, you should have an inch or more thread sticking out the end of the clamp when tightened. More often than not people think it is tight when it is more or less snug. Under boost, snug is not close to sufficient.
    Wait, I haven't even installed mine yet
    All stock

This user has no status.

Lol turbo I was just playin jeez imma tighten everything as much as possibl I used a electronic zip gun to tighten ill go through by hand and try it I just didn't wanna break anything by over tight ing it
    2013 Whtie M/T Turbo

Mods:
    8k Diode dynamics HIDS - Black out rear reflectors - TINT: %20 Front - %15 Rear
    Tint fog lights
    Plasti dip Wheels - engine cover front emblem
    WhiteLine Front sway bar - WhiteLine Rear sway bar
    Whiteline Sway bar Links
    Injen CAI - Turbosocks FMIC Kit - solo catback exhaust
    TWM shifter bushings
    Full interior LED light kit

Total modifications = $$$ too MUCH

Stand By for more upgrades..

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    www.turbosocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by nvyseal View Post
    was to eltacho.. .. oops.. long weekend.. tired.. both have crazy avatars.. LOL..
    Vitamin-C Vturbo owner...... with a handful o' mods.. more or less
    Now taking Bill Me Later and Credit Card Payments!!
    Turbosocks VTurbo STORE!!

Big FMIC kit, CAI/SRI/FMIC CAI, Rigid Collars, Diode Dynamics Dealer, Strut Bars, Coilovers, Uniq bracing kit, Oil Cooler kit, Mesh fog surrounds, Functional hood vents, etc!!! Tune coming soon, big turbo kit coming FY14!

Your one stop Veloster Turbo source for performance, suspension, lighting and great customer service!

Supporting Vendor
    www.tippettautodesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by nvyseal View Post
    Ha-ha, Socks work so hard and so much, that he is actually ahead of us on the time line. He sometimes has to stop to get back to the present, which is really his past and our future. Confused now?
    MyDianaZ06 likes this.

Mmmmhmmm

Any of you actually have to assemble your BOVs or do the large spring mod? If so, you need to make sure the piston O-ring is in place, the o-ring on the preload is tightened down and that you re-assembled the BOV together to create a good seal.

Most leaks will arrise at the BOV because the signal lines aren't hooked up, there is a leak between the gasket and the flanges, top and bottom of the BOV are not sealed.

As two of the instances regarding slow spool and boost leaks so far have ended up being user error, please don't jump the gun to act like the kit is faulty.. I understand the frustration but these systems are just piping and hose with clamps for the most part. Sealing is important for obvious reasons.

Also, nvyseal, you definitely have a leak judging by that sound, so first thing you need to do is locate it before anything else can be done.

Without the BOV hooked up it wont open under a shift condition. The only time it will open under a load condition is if the boost pressure overpowers the spring pressure..

What spring setup do you have in the BOV?

Gotta really tighten the couplers and make sure that the t-bolt is on the opposite side of the rolled end.. If you tighten it all cock eyed on the rolled part, you are creating a leak.

Like I said, it would be very rare for the intercooler or pipes to have a missed weld which would be the only other possibility of a leak and you should be able to visually see a missed weld if you can hear it like that.

If you can hear the leak, the odds of it being at a coupler or at the BOV are very very good.

Again, the car should pull a bit better than without the FMIC, if it does that you are most likely golden (nvyseal obviously has a leak) If you are just going based off the intake sound slightly changing than it is probably in your head.

Best ways to diagnose a true leak that I use is:

-a noticeable difference in the intake and 'leak' sounds.
    -slow spool
    -torque app or similar peak boost under 15lbs in 3rd gear run

on the t-bolt clamps, you should have an inch or more thread sticking out the end of the clamp when tightened. More often than not people think it is tight when it is more or less snug. Under boost, snug is not close to sufficient.
    I'm using the Large spring setup on my BOV and the top screw is tightened all the way in. I can try removing the BOV, opening it and closing it again just to make sure it's all tight.
    How can I tell if a gasket is bad?
    Is there a way to just close the BOV or make it not open just to see if that's the issue?

For the Torque app, what kind of adapter should I buy? Never messed around with this.

Other than that I'm running out of ideas, and at this point I guess I could always remove a lot of the pipes and re-tighten them again to ensure a proper seal (don't really want to do this again -_-).

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    www.turbosocks.com

you want the preload screw all the way out, not all the way tightened.. You want the nut tightened though to seal the top o-ring..

Without the vacuum lines connected to the BOV, the BOV is not going to open unless the boost is greater than the spring pressure. If you only have the large spring installed, it will probably start opening around 8lbs or so without the vacuum lines connected.

If you put both springs in the BOV and disconnect the vacuum lines, the BOV should never open.

The gasket wont be bad unless it was torn from the getgo. However, if you don't tighten the two bolts holding the BOV to the flange (with gasket in between) that will for SURE leak.

For the torque app, you just need an android phone and a bluetooth OBDII connector on ebay. If you have an iphone, I think there are similar apps.

Obviously taking it apart and making sure it is all tight is not optimal which is why I stress so hard to make sure everything is tight before putting the car back together!

Big FMIC kit, CAI/SRI/FMIC CAI, Rigid Collars, Diode Dynamics Dealer, Strut Bars, Coilovers, Uniq bracing kit, Oil Cooler kit, Mesh fog surrounds, Functional hood vents, etc!!! Tune coming soon, big turbo kit coming FY14!

Your one stop Veloster Turbo source for performance, suspension, lighting and great customer service!

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    www.turbosocks.com

just to show something is not tightened, I will loosen a clamp after work and record a video. I will then loosen the BOV a bit from the flange to produce the leaking sound.
    eltacho likes this.

Sinking ever deeper into the
    pits of nerddom.

one thing that works really well to help seal everything, is spray hairspray on the ends of the pipes where the coupling will be going. when it dries it will act as a sort of glue and seal very well.

Mmmmhmmm

you want the preload screw all the way out, not all the way tightened.. You want the nut tightened though to seal the top o-ring..

Without the vacuum lines connected to the BOV, the BOV is not going to open unless the boost is greater than the spring pressure. If you only have the large spring installed, it will probably start opening around 8lbs or so without the vacuum lines connected.

If you put both springs in the BOV and disconnect the vacuum lines, the BOV should never open.

The gasket wont be bad unless it was torn from the getgo. However, if you don't tighten the two bolts holding the BOV to the flange (with gasket in between) that will for SURE leak.

For the torque app, you just need an android phone and a bluetooth OBDII connector on ebay. If you have an iphone, I think there are similar apps.

Obviously taking it apart and making sure it is all tight is not optimal which is why I stress so hard to make sure everything is tight before putting the car back together!
    Thanks TS. Would you be able to take a picture of how the the preload screw and nut are supposed to be set up. I might be getting confused (I hope I am and it's a simple thing).

I unfortunately won't be able to play around with it until next Thursday, I'll be in LA for E3

3rd gear unicorn farts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderblock7881 View Post
    one thing that works really well to help seal everything, is spray hairspray on the ends of the pipes where the coupling will be going. when it dries it will act as a sort of glue and seal very well.
    ahhh...the old bike grip trick
    .. I have a car, and it has some car stuff on it...and we do car things together

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Links