Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Official Spotted in Aus thread

35K views 244 replies 34 participants last post by  Hairy 
#1 ·
Every other region has one....

Post VT's you spot in Aus.

I'm up first - I have ony seen mine so far - everytime I walk outside!!!!

#5 ·
Spotted one of our own forum members in his Marmalade VT yesterday heading into Mansfield/Wishart area (Bris-Vegas) on the underpass off the motorway. I pulled up on his passenger's side, trying to get his attention but he was looking at something out the driver's window ..... then floored it and cut through some traffic about 3 or 4 cars ahead of him ... that did the trick. Gave him a wave over the roof as I queued at the next set of lights.

I've seen quite a few 'povo pack' Velosters around Briz area but that was the first VT I've seen here. Strangely enough, my partner had sent me a pic of a red one just 10 mins earlier - she said the lady driving it was around mid-50s ......

#6 ·
Spotted three in Perth driving home last night. Stormtrooper - looks awesome, a Veloster Red one that looked like it'd been out on country roads for the day, covered in orange dust - still looked great. Then I came across a Battleship on near home... ugh. Possibly the ugliest colour I've ever seen on a car, actually made me cringe a bit. Oh, and Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.

#10 ·
Then I came across a Battleship on near home... ugh. Possibly the ugliest colour I've ever seen on a car, actually made me cringe a bit. Oh, and Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here.
Me and my soon to be Battleship grey say hi :p

Ha ha, when i saw that colour both the wife and I loved it but also said straight away it will be a love or hate colour :)

#8 ·
Obviously my Battleship VT and I have seen another Battleship VT a few times in the area where I live so this one must belong to a local. I was out in the work car today and saw another Battleship VT! This one was being driven by a guy in his thirties with another man about the same age as passenger. Driving like a little old lady going to Church! Really, really slow away from the lights, and I was able to pull away further on the roundabouts in Curtin in the work I30 diesel. I felt like pulling him over and telling him 'you can do 60 through there easy! Go on, try it!'.

Maybe other colours are more in demand and Battleship is more easily got.

#14 ·
I have seen two other Battleship VTs beyond mine so that makes four, and probably five when the Phllip demonstrator gets sold. Maybe every VT in Canberra will be Battleship.

I agree that Battleship is a head-turner. Half of cars in Äustralia are silver and many of the rest are white, and I've not seen light grey before.

#15 ·
I think the Phillip demonstrator has been sold .. they now have a Cameleon.

I've seen a Battleship on the way to work once or twice driving up Kitchener Street towards Garran ... If it is anyone here I'll flash next time (I'm currently driving a grey Mazda SP25 .. as are half of the rest of Canberra lol) .. I'm currently getting used to a shorter gear stick by griping mine half way down lol

Can't wait for delivery day ...

#16 ·
I work at Canberra Hospital and I own a Battleship-coloured Veloster Turbo, so that's my car you see in Kitchener St, which I use on my way to work from Ngunnawal. I've never driven a SP25 but I would guarantee the Veloster will be quicker, albeit a bit sluggish for the first few metres from a standing start. They handle particularly well and come very close to Golf GTI-standards without the extremely harsh ride, and the harder you drive the better they respond. It doesn't seem like it's going to do anything special, but when you push the car it does it easy. The Hankook Prime2 tyres are okay in the dry but rather ordinary in the wet. I know you can get a Veloster sideways in the wet without the ESP getting in the way, but I like oversteer so that's okay (understeer freaks me out). The seats are firm and that makes them very comfortable, and 500km plus is an easy and comfortable drive. Pretty much everything else about the car is quite good except for rearward vision, so it's best to rely more on your door mirrors.

A couple of odd things in what is a reasonably expensive car is the centre armrest / console shared with the every basic, cheap and nasty Hyundai model made in the last 20 years, and the overhead console and sunglasses holder, again shared with every Hyundai from the last couple of decades. Both are quite practical but they look out of place.

#17 ·
nice cbr .. the few times I've seen you coming up Kitchener St I'm thinking that'll be me not too soon .. hopefully we'll cross paths before Xmas.

The SP25 is a great car but too many on the road .. hopefully people still will think that hyundais are crap and we can keep the secret to ourselves .. must admit I would not have purchased a Hyundai 5 years ago but I'm pretty comfortable withy decision even though the monkeys at work attempt to have a go lol

Battleship Grey rules

#18 · (Edited)
I was more a motorcyclist than a car driver and motorcycles are power-on oversteer close to the limit, and in my younger days a 1000cc Suzuki with the tyres of the time was dead easy to power-slide. This is why I can't manage understeer, and if the front wheels don't go exactly where I point them I can't handle it.

I test drove my car (it was an unregistered, unused demonstrator) on a winding road just outside Moss Vale and was very impressed by the way it turned in and held its line (although the salesman was freaking out that I was driving the car close to the limit just four or five kilometers after getting behind the wheel). This afternoon I have just returned from a picnic with my wife just out of Gunning and the Veloster impressed me with the way it ate up the sharp climbs on the Gunning Road, and also with the way it handled the curves north of Gundaroo at well over the speed limit. It may be a Hyundai but it doesn't drive like one.

That's why I wrote to push it harder because the car will do it as long as you're smooth, and as long as you get your lines right (which applies to any performance front wheel drive).

People admire my Veloster including today, but that doesn't necessarily translate to thousands on the road. Styling is a bit out there, and while they may admire it they may feel more comfortable owning and driving something more conservative. The problem with the SP25 was the same as my Astra 2.2: it was a sporty variant and it did go harder and it did handle better, and if you looked hard you could see the bigger wheels and the body kit. But basically it looked like every other Astra H, just like an SP25 looks like every other Mazda 3.

#19 ·
Agree with your last few sentences cbr

So you test drove the VT from the dealer at Moss Vale ?? .. I pass there very often my way to the Gong, know the Illawarra highway like the back of my hand and can't wait taking the SR down the curves to Roberston and down the Pass .. the SP25 does this really well but I expect as much and better from the SR

#25 ·
I took it down the rougher road to Fitzroy Falls which I have both driven and ridden this year. It handled that road well and better than my Astra (which was close to a Golf GTI). The Astra's ride was too harsh on a road like that, where the Veloster was more supple while still having excellent roadholding. At the falls we turned around and headed back, and at the dealership the car was smelling of burnt paint (the first time the engine had ever gotten up to temperature). I have ridden the motorcycle up Macquarie Pass and also driven the Astra up that road as well, and would like to drive the Veloster up the pass one day. Like the motorcycle, the torque of the Veloster would eat the heavy grades.

The Veloster has about 80%-90% of the smooth road grip of the Astra so it would be at a slight disadvantage on a well-surfaced road like Macquarie Pass. On rougher roads the Veloster is better as the Astra was so harsh that you ended up backing off to save yourself from being pounded. The Veloster has quite good steering feel but the Astra was a little more fluid and consistent. The Veloster has much more performance. Hyundai have dragged some kilowatts out of a fairly small motor and the black specks of soot on the rear bumper shows they use a rich mixture to cool the engine when it works hard (we were out on the weekend and I did one sharp overtake of two cars which was probably responsible for the soot). Petrol is a good way of cooling the internals of a stressed engine. It kicked-down to 4th and revved harder than necessary (next time I will use the paddles to manually downshift from sixth to fifth and see if it will stay in fifth - I think it might).

#23 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hyundai

Hi everyone I am a new Veloster Turbo owner!

I purchased a new VT in Marmalade about a month ago.

I was told by the dealer that my Marmalade is the only 1 to be sold in the whole Mackay/Whitsunday region, and possibly even the whole of Far North Qld.

I know of mine plus a VT in Matte Grey and another VT in Battleship owned by 50+ year old owners in Mackay.

To my knowledge they are both manual transmission while mine is automatic.

3 VT's here in Mackay :cool2:

#29 · (Edited)
Yep that is where I saw the beast .. was coming back from one of my business trips when I was just about to pass your car, planted the brakes, parked behind yours, got the iPhone and took about 4 pics.

That is the sort of position I also like to park, with a column on at least one side of my car.

#31 ·
Yep that is where I saw the beast .. was coming back from one of my business trips when I was just about to pass your car, planted the brakes, parked behind yours, got the iPhone and took about 4 pics.
I probably should apologise for it being a bit dirty... are you going to post the pics minus the number plates?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.