Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Aftermarket mods in Australia

22K views 78 replies 15 participants last post by  omar123 
#1 ·
Just wanted to start a thread to discuss any aftermarket mods that are actually readily available in Australia. We read on these forums about all these fantastic aftermarket mods people have done but most are not available here.

Also a good place for us to recommend local business that have done Veloster mods, etc as quite a few have never heard of them.

At the moment I am looking at exhaust mods. I mainly want to get a better tone without increasing the idle/cruising dB too much. I really don't want to spend a lot and a performance increase is not really an important factor (would be nice though).

I understand the difference between but what are the benefits of a cat-back vs. an axel-back mod. Will a simple axel-back (muffler delete) mod improve the tone or will that just make it loud and noisy.

Any Aussies had an exhaust mod done and what were the costs involved.

#35 ·
Well stopped in and saw the guy at "Well Hung Exhaust", great guy by the way seems honest and up front (I say seemed because I don't know that much about exhausts - LOL).

Anyway he is going to do a Magnaflow system "clone" using the same genuine Magnaflow muffler and tips but doing the pipe work himself in 2.5in stainless steel. This saves the huge cost of paying to get essentially a bunch of pipes shipped all the way from the US. We are using the profs photos as a guide so thanks for the excellent photos prof.

He said he would use a slightly thicker pipe than normal to keep the cruising noise down which was one of my biggest concerns. All for a smidgen under $1K, so I figure that a full system shipped from the US would cost more than that anyway even before fitting, so price is not too bad. She's booked in to do next week so will see what the outcome is :)

Incidentally they are on O'Sullivan Bch Rd and have been for 3 years so white pages wins. Shows you how old Google data is, street view still shows them at Christie rd. Apparently they shared the workshop at Christie Rd with a performance engine mob and they are the ones that moved to Heath st.

#37 · (Edited)
@professorsabre: Out of curiosity are the tips that came on yours the 4" angle cuts - Magnaflow Tips

The Magnaflow website doesn't really mention the size of the tips that are on the 15215 but the non-turbo 15060 version says 3.0" tips but he reckons the ones in your photo look more like 4.0". He also said the holes would probably take up to 4.5" but they may potentially knock a bit if they ever shift slightly off centre and Magnaflow do not do a 4.5" tip so would have to look at another brand.

#39 ·
Yeah just seen the 4.5" that mwil028 posted, look awesome but also look very close. I will stick to the 4.0's which is what he recommended anyway.

#40 ·
Made contact today with Xforce.com.au who are working on a system for the Turbo and have actually done one and displayed it at the Sydney motor show.Their blog was talking about having a system ready for distribution in Jan of this year (although it does say Jan 2012)so I emailed them as to how it was going. Reply was that not quite ready yet but they will keep my email address and let me know when available.
Should be interesting.
XFORCE

#42 ·
Is anyone else in SA interested in having gas lift struts for their hood? I'm looking at getting a set over from the states, and the seller reckons we could get a few over for the same freight. They fit to existing mounting points in the engine bay. US$100 for the struts & mounts, and say US$45 for freight between us... let me know :)

#43 · (Edited)
Hi Fellow Aussies,

I am currently considering building a batch of the controllers for Aussie members ONLY (at this stage) as there is quite a bit of interest in this project but so far most have not had the skills required to build it from scratch themselves. Have not worked out exact costs yet or when I will get time to do them or just how many want them. This will by no means be a professional product, I am just a guy trying to help fellow Veloster members

I would roughly estimate about $120-$130 with pre-cut & wired LED strips and postage within Aust. This is without the Veloster LED scuff plate so you will have to get those from exLEDshop, they are about US$109 + US$57 shipping from South Korea to Oz (might want to get these quick - LOL). The centre console mission plates come from Diode Dynamics in the US, these look great with the centre console LED.

Just PM me if interested or if you want the full project instructions to get an idea of whats required to install the LED's once you have the controller. Maybe we can even organise an Adelaide workshop day to do a group install :)

Just FYI links to mission plate and door scuffs
Veloster Mission Plate
Veloster Door Scuffs (make sure you pick blue and ignore their wiring instructions as they are not relevant to this project)

#44 ·
Just a quick message to Aussie users. If you do decide to get the full kit from Diode Dynamics, not just the mission plate, just be aware that the insert for the drivers door doesn't fit an Aussie car as it is designed for the left hand drive door in the States. Kits are good though and all I did was cut my drivers insert down a bit to make it fit.
Am interested in the kit from Tokra, should be good. Have sent a PM to Tokra for details.

#46 ·
Well got my Magnaflow "clone" exhaust installed yesterday. Sounds great but the missus thinks it is "too loud" ;)

Ended up at $1K fully fitted - figured that's pretty good as it was going to cost that to get a "real" one shipped from the USA and I would still have to pay for someone to fit it. They originally quoted 3" tips as apparently that's what Magnaflow website said but I told them Magnaflow uses 4.0" tips on the turbo system and removed the valance. Also they used a thicker walled 304 grade SS rather than 409 so it didn't sound tinny or ping, I don't know if the thicker 304 vs. standard 409 really makes a difference but they reckon it does. They used exact same Magnaflow muffler and tips that the "real" one uses. Would be interesting to hear side by side with a "real" one :)

I can definitely feel the extra power - well at least I don't think its a placebo ;)

Vehicle Car Family car Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

#48 ·
Looks like the missus will win - as usual ;) - and I am going to have to quieten it down a notch or two. Question is do I add a resonator or a second muffler. Installer wants to add a resonator but I have read that will only change tone and not quieten it - The tone is great just the way it is, so whats the best way to quieten a couple of notches it without changing the tone too much.

From a scale of 1 to 10 (stock being about 2 and no muffler being 10), its currently about 7.5. I would like to get it to about a 5.

#52 ·
Yeah sure, you will hear it coming. Would be good to get profsabre as well to hear his "real" one, I think he lives down south as Ive seen his car parked same spot near one of the southern hardware stores quite a bit. Maybe we try again and organise an Adelaide meet this weekend as I am getting mine neutered on Monday :(

#54 ·
Glenelg area or maybe Henley Beach is a nice central place for most people, just need a nice quite car park (could be difficult on sat or sun in those areas). I will try another post and see if there is any interest this time around.

#57 ·
Hey!! Sounds Fine Thats not too loud.

#61 ·
One LED kit available

OK guys, I have put together my first kit for my LED project. As you can see below it comes with blue LED strips and pre-cut to length wires, plugs & velcro.

It just needs to be installed with just 4 taps into the Veloster's wiring at the fuse box, this is probably the most difficult part and will need a smallish soldering iron and side cutters to strip back the wires (without cutting) and solder on to the two small door switch wires..

You will still need to order your own door scuffs from exLedShop.com but I have included the pre-cut wire to hook them up you will just need to solder 2 wires to each one. Wire length pre-cut for controller to sit in bottom of the centre armrest bin and connect up under the drivers seat.

Have also posted below a vid of the centre console LED as I didn't have that installed when the first vid was taken. As you can see it pulsates while door is open and then goes steady to match/dim with front footwell LED brightness when door closed.

Anyway first Aussie to PM me with $130 (or $133 via PayPal) can have it, not sure when I will get time to make another one because I've used up all the left over LED's I had. Sorry don't have time to work out costs or how to send one overseas yet so Aussies only.

Kit >>>
Office supplies Earrings Scissors Medical equipment Fashion accessory

Console Vid >>>

#62 ·
Here is a sound clip of my new exhaust, taken on an iPhone inside the car so quality aint that good and I wasn't pushing it. Gives an idea of tone but not volume, also cant hear the beautiful gurgle between gear changes - an exhaust like this really needs the manual trans I don't think it would sound as cool with the Auto even with using the flappy paddles :) - Now I don't want to start a Man/Auto flame war here ;)

#64 ·
The exhaust on mine is much deeper and more agressive than that, although it's not radically loud. I must record a clip and post it. Being automatic upchanges are just an instant change in tone to the next gear although it does gurgle on the overrun. Again the gurgling is quite aggressive. I would describe it as a deep growl but I will record it next time I'm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.