Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Service

11K views 76 replies 22 participants last post by  cbrmale 
#1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I'm due next month for the 6 month/7500k service, even tho I'm only on 5k done.

I went to book it online and they only had 12 monthly service or optional service.
I've never owned a new car so just wanted to know if I should still get this done or not worth it?

I was going to do it just to ensure its running smoothly but youths if ask.

#38 ·
The book may say 7500... but my mechanic has a very simple rule. Oil and filter change every 5000kms using 5w-40 fully synthetic engine oil.
My mechanic is korean (so am i) and he has been following the development of this engine. When i asked him about the development of the engine and whether it was true or not that the engine was at its final development stages, he said that they will continue to tweak this engine and develop it because minor changes allow it to go from a 1.6litre to a 2.0 litre engine. This engine is used in almost all hyundais of this capacity (veloster, i30, i40, accent, elantra, etc)

#48 ·
If one is using Tapatalk, which I use frequently I wouldn't have known initially he was a Aussie. There would have been a more flattering way to get your point across. Just saying.

Might I add that it seems allot of people don't care for you. I have no issues with you for the record but you aren't doing yourself any favors by how you talk to and lecture grown men and woman. I am sure you don't care but I just wanted to point it out in case you didn't realize it. Just trying to help you out bud.

#49 ·
In America, at my dealership the inspection sheet is 2 pages of things that quickly get a check mark.

However, now that my car has some wear they do include things like tire air pressure, brake pad thickness and tire tread thickness on the report.

The dealer found a small blister in the sidewall of one of my tires and that led to a comedy of errors. They wanted to replace it and I said fine and handed them the tire warranty from the glove box and another warranty that came with some sort of oil change special. The dealer started in on road hazard and I cut them off with the paperwork that covered road hazard. Turns out they don't stock the VT tire. So I told them that I would pick up the new tire next time. The next time I got the same warning about my tire and I said that I would take a new one and they didn't have one for me. I was very clear that they were releasing me on the bum tire on the paperwork.

The next time through they found that I was running low on tread on all my tires. I don't spare the rod on my VT. So I threw the paperwork in their face and said I will take a fresh set of tires. Again they didn't have the VT tires in stock. I asked them what tires did they plan on selling me and they had nothing. I get the dealer upselling tires but not them having nothing to sell me.

Short story long, the dealer does do a multi-point inspection - and I've never bought windshield wiper fluid for my VT.

#50 ·
My mechanic does the same thing, uses the same materials and parts - some better than the dealer at times anyway. Why pay someone $120/hr in labor costs alone when your mechanic does it for half the cost? Only thing i wouldnt get is a software update... the nav system runs windows. If anyone runs windows on their computer... you know that aftet every update, $hit hits the fan most of the time anyway

#62 ·
Sorry, but you're wrong about the software updates, which confused me about where you come from. The operating system is not Windows but Windows CE, which is an old PDA and mobile phone operating system from the late nineties to the mid two-thousands. It's not the Windows operating system for desktop computers. Windows CE is 10 years out of date which is why the central console unit is so slow and flaky.

If you want a map update and you aren't doing dealer servicing, you can pay a dealer to do the update. That's my plan for sometime down the track (I do my own servicing which is why I know how long it takes to get the pollen filter out and back again). My experience with dealers is they would probably &*()) up the update and ^&() up the navigation unit!

#58 ·
Actually, FIXED pricing I think would possibly be better. Here there is so much competition with independent shops and other dealers that an oil & filter change is rock bottom pricing in a lot of places, as low as $19-25 USD. And they are still in an agreement with Hyundai to provide the same level of service including a multi-point inspection. Some places will even throw in a tyre rotation for free.

#59 ·
Yup...double post.

Skip all the climate BS. The only thing intense climates do is make intervals for service closer. The services performed are EXACTLY THE SAME.

An oil and filter change in your VT in the land down under is exactly the same. "Fixed" rates makes no difference. It's the quality of service you receive that is just piss poor. Your VT still has ONE oil filter. It takes no more OIL to fill it than mine. It comes out of ONE drain plug. And it's all done the same way. End of story

#60 ·
Hyundai classify Australia and Africa and Asia as extreme driving environments for servicing requirements.

I don't know why these continents are classified this way. But this I know: Hyundai classify Australia and Africa and Asia as extreme driving environments for servicing requirements. So do other motor manufacturers and VAG disconnect their automatic servicing systems for Australia because, guess why! Because VAG classifies Australia as an extreme driving environment for servicing requirements! I had Volkswagen Vans on my car fleet as well.

Servicing for an extreme driving enviornment means that more things are done more often at each service.

#61 ·
Cbrmale: if you had been looking at the AUSTRALIAN thread... you would notice that we did meet up on saturday. In australia. Not in korea. :) i even have a picture to prove it!

What i was referring to was dealership service in general. I havent had the best experience with them over the years and i choose to go to my own mechanic... because, as long as they use the right parts, warranty is still valid. In australia, by the way. (I dont ship my car to korea for an oil change)

I ran a fleet of mazdas before i downsized the company so i have had experience with dealership servicing which i wasnt pleased with - price wise and service wise.

Oh.. and dont take this the wrong way or too personal cbrmale... i like the information you post up. I actually read it and appreciate the amount of detail and research that goes into it. But, please... read other peoples posts as well instead of preaching your own thing as if anyone elses input doesnt matter. You are a writer. I hope you read as well as you write. Youre starting to sound like those people who force others into a religion stating "what i believe is fact and everything else is bullshit"

/rant

Reactions: hyatt
#66 ·
I agree 100% about dealer servicing and I just 'know' if I took a car to a dealer for repair or servicing either (a) it won't be done or (b) it will be done wrong. I am scared if there's a recall or warranty fix because it's out of my hands! Who knows what they will do! Well I know what the two Holden dealers in town did: one ^&**( up replacing the radiator and the other *()_ up my wheels and left me stranded with a flat tyre because we had to drill the hub to get the wheel bolts out. I recovered about $2,600 worth of costs on that warranty repair through the civil and administration tribunal. One of the Hyundai dealers in Canberra has been black-listed by the fleet leasing companies (they are that bad) while the other returned a car with worn brake pads, another car was returned with leaking damper seals and then they took three attempts to fix a loose air intake clamp on a third one. The fleet driver was a mechanic and he felt like taking the car home and fixing it for them! A Honda dealer returned a car with worn brake pads and charged for 'adjusting' the valve clearances, only it had automatic valve clearance adjustment. A Ford dealer charged for replacing the cam drive belt (a lot of money) only the engine had chain driven camshafts. Charged for replacement windscreen wiper blades only to check and find the original, worn blades in place, and so it went on and on and on.

Anyone here in Australia trust their local Hyundai dealer? I wouldn't. The problem is from the mid-nineties to mid two-thousands we didn't produce any apprentices, so there is a terrible shortage of mechanics and they import mechanics on 457 visas. So one service or repair you get a decent mechanic working on your car and it's all good, and the next time you get some unqualified (by our standards) itinerant and it all goes wrong.

#63 ·
I know windows ce. I probably couldnt be bothered to type the ce part.
I think i was talking about this to karen... whose nav systen doesnt work. Glen understood why the nav system gave up. Very quickly

#67 ·
It's unbelievable that Hyundai have compromised the car for the sake of a cheap and nasty, almost unworkable navigation and media system. If I want to program an address I have to allow myself about five minutes for it to fire up, respond to the accept buttom, respond to the nav button, respond to the address details! You're sitting in your car going nowhere, watching the screen and looking like a goose! The same software is used in Britain and in Europe and it's actually French. i don't think it's got enough memory and Windows CE was always prone to crashing.

I could get the software upgraded because I think later builds run faster, but an upgrade can cause the unit to fail totally. At the moment I much rather it be slow and at least working, although I never go anywhere without a map book in case it fails.

#71 ·
Rugerfly,
I have worked for a couple of car manufacturers including Mercedes Benz (and lived for a while in Germany but that's another story), and dealers are not interested in modifications. However if something goes wrong and needs repair under warranty, it is Hyundai Australia's call as to whether any modifications contributed to the failure. If there is even the slightest chance they can avoid their warranty obligations for any reason, they will, and Hyundai Australia has a reputation for doing this. Hyundai in the US are the opposite and they do care for customer service, and will even fix known issues with models well after the 5 year warranty (and there may be many thousands or tens of thousands of vehicles involved). In Australia, the same item may fail after 5 years and Hyundai here probably won't want to know about it.

If something goes wrong during the warranty period you take your car to the dealer and they analyse the issue, and they get permission for Hyundai to fix the car under warranty. During that process they will report on any modifications that have been made to the car. Hyundai will assess this information and give permission for the car to be repaired or not repaired. The process that follows from there is the dealer workshop does the repair and invoices Hyundai for parts and labour.

All you have to do is cross your fingers and everything else that nothing goes wrong with the engine, turbocharger and powertrain of your car, because the warranty on those items has been largely been voided. The best chance for you is to have a good relationship with the dealer service manager (not the mechanics), because you may be able to get the service manager to overlook these modifications when asking for permission for warranty repairs. What Hyundai don't know about they cannot argue about. But if it's a big and expensive failure then this is unlikely because Hyundai will be unhappy with the dealer principal if they find out.

Although Hyundai in Australia doesn't have a good reputation in regards to warranty, often you can get items fixed on other cars after the warranty period has expired, especially if they are known issues with that model. So if a car has a typical 3 year warranty and, say, the starter motor burns out after 3 years and 4 months, you can ask the dealer to ask the manufacturer to repair it under warranty and they probably will, or maybe split the costs. This is known as ex-gratia warranty and it's a worthwhile thing to know about, because if you don't ask for it to be considered as a warranty repair then it won't be.

#73 ·
Yikes!
A friend of mine worked for LG years ago. His manager got a hiding because somebody from australia sent a letter to head office in korea to complain about his microwave or something. They ended up giving the guy a new one... moral of the story? I will get the wife to write you a letter in korean to send off to hyundai head office. :p
My korean wont cut it..

#74 ·
This works like magic!!!!! No sh&t!!!! When a Korean national, or mostly just Korean, contacts Hyundai with a problem...it gets taken care of. Only problem I see is when they call you after receiving the letter and they speak Korean to you...an Aussie white girl who can't speak any Korean might be in trouble then. lol

#75 ·
Australian customer service is generall poor which is why we have so many problems with things like warranty issues, but Koreans work to a different standard. I never thought of going over the head of the local importers if there was a dispute, but I will file that concept away in case I ever have problems. The fact that you are or are not Korean I don't think is an issue, rather it's the concept that an disgruntled customer clearly won't buy future products from your company, and will tell their family, friends and associates about their bad experience. The rule of thumb is times nine, so one upset customer creates 9 lost sales opportunities.

I think that's one for Rugerfly to think about too.

#76 ·
Well, it's a much different society that even the difference between US and Australian dealers. And most people who haven't witnessed it, or been raised in it, really don't understand it...

If you're in Korea, there's really only three major companies you wan to work for...LG, Samsung & Hyundai. I'm sure you're aware that Kia and Hyundai are just about one and the same... If you work for Hyundai and you go somewhere with Kia employees for a function if some sort, the Kia employees are treated like a second or third class citizen from you. Really, it's nuts.

By the same token, a person who is not Korean will not get the same level of service from Hyundai as a Korean will. You can think I'm just spouting BS all you like, it's just a fact. If you're Korean, the door is open. If your not, the door is shut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.