Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Service

11K views 76 replies 22 participants last post by  cbrmale 
#1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I'm due next month for the 6 month/7500k service, even tho I'm only on 5k done.

I went to book it online and they only had 12 monthly service or optional service.
I've never owned a new car so just wanted to know if I should still get this done or not worth it?

I was going to do it just to ensure its running smoothly but youths if ask.

#2 ·
If you didn't change your "break in oil" out at 1000k like many people on these forums did, you may as well go and get it done a little early.

#7 ·
I had the first service after 1 month, I was just over 1000ks.
When they did that they put a sticker with next service 7500 or June.
But when I went to book online the selection was "optional"
It's not required with todays extended run oils. But it you want to baby your baby, change more often (3k Miles) and use synthetic.

#6 ·
You don't *need* to. There are 2 schools of thought on it and it depends heavily on how you drive anyway I think.

#9 · (Edited)
I wish Americans and Canadians would keep out of Australian threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bender, driving in Australia is considered extreme by Hyundai which is why they disabled the service interval calculator and insisit on 6 month / 7,500km services (or 4 months / 6,000km if you drive mostly around town). If you want to keep your warranty current then you must get the car serviced at 7,500km or 6 months (or more frequently if you use the car around town), but not necessarily by a Hyundai dealer. Any registered mechanic will do as long as they use the correct parts and the correct oil. But it must be done. Also, frequent oil changes are good for engine longevity.

I did a used oil analysis on the oil from my car and after 4,600km useage it had sheared from 5W40 to 5W32, so if you're running Hyundai's specified ACEA A3 5W30 oil then it will have sheared to 5W22! In other words the oil in your car has had it as a result of high operating temperatures (which they don't get in the US and Canada). Oil shears under high temperatures.

I have the same problem with my air cooled motorcycle which also shears its oil due to high oil temps, but it starts at 15W50 so a bit of shearing doesn't do any harm (used oil analysis showed 15W41). Ditto my car because it still had more protection prior to its oil change than your car had immediately after its last service. But the oil in your car has well had it and it will be so thin that it will be squeezed out of highly loaded parts like big-end and main bearings, causing metal to metal contact. Not good. If you can't book online then you should ring your dealer because they do know about the Velosters requirement for more frequent oil changes.

And of course if you're driving mostly around town in a highly-tuned turbocharged car then you must do the more frequent changes of 4 months / 6,000km (especially in Melbourne's perpetually congested traffic). So if you're not like me who only uses his car in the country then your next oil change is due already!

#12 ·
I'm sure you're joking.

According to this: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_0c70282.shtml
Your Average temperatures max out around 30C, and go down to about 0C

Where I'm from, (and we have it pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada) it goes more like -35C to +38C
So, Pretty sure Canada has a harsher climate.

If you're joking - lol, ya got me.
If you're not, just wow.

#16 ·
Well okay dude.... In that case:

In CANADA where our climate has a 60+ celcius shift in Winter to summer... we also have a lot of hills and and mountainous terrain. Many rural areas have dirt roads (especially in my home province of Nova Scotia) - and there are cities with a lot of congestion and stop and go traffic. Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world, so things are kind of spread out...long distances...and our highways are generally 110km/hr limit, meaning people go at least that...(high speeds).

Given that information, in Canada, we don't require changing our oil that often. I realize that it isn't Australian intervals....but there's a thing called 'perspective'.

#18 ·
... In CANADA where our climate has a 60+ celcius shift in Winter to summer... we also have a lot of hills and and mountainous terrain. Many rural areas have dirt roads (especially in my home province of Nova Scotia) - and there are cities with a lot of congestion and stop and go traffic. Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world, so things are kind of spread out...long distances...and our highways are generally 110km/hr limit, meaning people go at least that...(high speeds). ..
We shift from -30C to + 30C winter to summer. With our Chinook winds we can actually shift from -20C to +20C in the same day.
Here in Calgary we have one of the longest parking lots (Deerfoot Trail) between the hours of 4:30PM to 6:00PM most weekdays. We also have loads of dust in the air due to all the construction going on and the winds blowing dirt around.

Are you sure the service interval isn't so you can have periodic suspension component checks because of the pothole roads you have down there :wink: .. maybe it has nothing to do with oil change frequencies :smile:

Reactions: papabear
#21 ·
My 7500km service found a loose fuel line, and an engine mount that needs replacing - I'm happy enough to have those seen to now rather than in another six months...

The NAV doesn't have the half yearly service schedule. I'm running on the principle that Hyundai know what the car needs - and the service was $220, about 1/4 of the yearly service on the Statesman :)

#23 ·
The NAV doesn't run the high oil temperatures of the turbo. The turbo obviously circulates oil through the hot turbocharger bearings and also has oil-cooled pistons (oil is sprayed to the underside of the piston crowns), so we are looking at 100 degree plus oil temperatures which are enough to cause shear. I am surprised about the engine mounts though and it might be a weakness. I must check mine out.

Interesting question on capped price servicing. Why the discrepancy?

As far as our American and Canadian friends go, the OP asked a question specific to Australian servicing requirements which are actually rather confusing. I ended up ringing Hyundai to find out what the service intervals were because they were not clear in the service handbook or anywhere else. The servicing requirements of North American cars are determined by your local Hyundai distributors and the servicing requirements of our cars are determined by our local distributor, and there is nothing you can offer to this thread. In a few cases now Americans and Canadians have offered opinions in Australian threads contrary to the specific requirements of Velsoter turbos in Australia, and I have had to rescue situations a few times. If something is specific to Australia and especially Australian warranty coverage or Australian driving conditions, then please keep your opinions to yourselves. You do no-one any favours by advising people to take action which will void their warranties, as happened here.

#24 ·
I'd seen the capped price at $159 on a Hyundai website somewhere, but couldn't find it anywhere when I hit 7500. If I can find reference to it I'll query it when I have the engine mount replaced, otherwise I won't sour an excellent working relationship for the difference in price. I do wonder if a 'loan' car changes the fixed price of the service?

#26 ·
Stillwell Hyundai - and the game is now on - they called to let me know that the engine mount is in, and I asked why I didn't get the capped price - the girl checked, and told me my car isn't covered. I asked why not, she couldn't work out why, and said I'd have to take it up with the salesman if he said it was. He wasn't available, but should be when I go in next week - he told both the wife and me that there was capped price servicing, when we test drove, and during hand over. Checking the website, it's actually $129 for a 7500 on the VT. According to the terms and conditions, the car is eligible - there is even a special schedule down for the VT, and the prices are listed separately, too.

I happened to get an email from Hyundai iCare at the same time, so I replied to that, letting them know I was overcharged, and asking why the dealer would say I wasn't eligible - their response was that there is no capped price mid service for the VT, only the 15000 is covered. I've told them I'm disputing that, given the terms & conditions, plus the posted information on the web site both specifically mention the Veloster Turbo schedule and pricing. Supplied links to relevant information - am now awaiting the next response :)

#28 ·
I was overcharged for an accessory part from Melrose Hyundai here in Canberra and I was reminded there is no retail price maintenance in Australia under the Trade Practices Act. This means that dealers can charge what they like for parts and for servicing. This may be the problem although a dealer in a big city would be stupid to charge more than their competitors. You wouldn't go back, would you?

#29 ·
all that shit your going thru has been done in america over the years, which is why we have laws to stop it from happening now. Does your government not have things in place for these situations? If so i feel bad for you.

#30 ·
The Australian legal system is based upon the British legal system and includes protection from things like retail price maintenance. I am old enough to remember what it was like when manufacturers dictated prices to wholesalers and retailers, and the overall savings that accrued when this was declared illegal in 1974. While in some circumstances retailers can charge more, in the majority of cases savings by consumers are had by taking their business elsewhere.

The American legal system is loosely based upon British law of the seventeenth Century, and is so different to the legal systems of Britain, Australia and other parts of the British Commonwealth today as to be a completely different thing entirely. So no comparison can be made.

#31 ·
After invoking the name of Consumer Affairs here in SA, and the ACCC, Hyundai Customer Care has now confirmed that the website is correct and my VT is covered for capped price servicing as advertised AND specified by the salesperson - they're now contacting the dealership for me to find out why I've been overcharged. Thought I was going to end up taking it to social media to get resolved lol

I notice on the invoice that the boxes for air con and turbo were marked N - they may simply have it in the wrong category and that's where the issue is - there's no 7,500 service for a NAV. Will update when I know more.

And yes, I'd still go back - service dept has been a dream to work with, fitting in around my schedule, listening to warranty issues and resolving them promptly - I've also sent them half a dozen customers since buying the VT - a hiccup from a genuine mistake I can handle, as long as its sorted out properly.

#32 · (Edited)
I reckon they make us get the 7500 service to get more money :money: out of us lol but for $129 its not expensive really, and I would usually get my oil changed between major services anyway. My CJ lancer used to be $440 for the 15/45/75,000km etc service and $880 for the 30/60/90,000km etc service interval so paying $388 every 15,000km is cheap enough if you ask me :wink:

How did you find the online booking Bender? I used it two weeks out, called the dealer the day before to confirm and they said they didn't see the request come through. Were still good enough to fit me in though at short notice.

Adelaide, I believe the confusion is as follows for the VT.

The requirement of being eligable for the Capped Price servicing is the vehicle must be PURCHASED after July 31 (VT wasn't released in AUS until July 31, so I doubt anyone actually purchased it that day), however most of our cars were BUILT prior to this date. So when they look at the VIN, they must be looking at the Build date instead of the Purchase date perhaps. I know that happened when I had my first service done, was fixed up nice and quick though. Hasn't been a problem since. :smile:

#35 ·
Either a Hyundai Head Office problem, or these dealers are slack at checking their emails or something. I would have thought the form you fill in would just email all your info to the service centre. How hard could it be for them to create a booking from that?

#36 ·
Feeky,
My used oil analysis showed the lubricating oil shears (loses viscosity) well before 7,500km, so it needs replacing well before 15,000 because of high operating temperatures. My oil was on the way out after 4,600km and I'm using way better quality oil than Hyundai dealers put into your car! It's nothing to do with money and everything to do with making the main and big-end bearings last, because sheared oil will be squeezed out of those components. Actually given the rubbish oil that Hyundai dealers are forced to use I wouldn't want to run a turbo for as long as 7,500 over summer, because the oil would be well shot. The resulting engine damage from sheared oil WOULD NOT be covered by warranty because it's wear and tear.

Your are right about service costs, however I ran a fleet of Hyundais and I saw the flat-rate of their servicing. Hyundai allow miniscule amounts of time to perform all the check and correct jobs and nowhere near enough time to do the service properly. It was our experience that many service jobs that should have been done were not done, but I truly cannot blame the dealers because a list of twenty items to be checked in 30 minutes is just plain ridiculous!

So there you have it. Specified rubbish oil and you will get the service you pay for (but not necessarily the service you need).

#44 ·
Your are right about service costs, however I ran a fleet of Hyundais and I saw the flat-rate of their servicing. Hyundai allow miniscule amounts of time to perform all the check and correct jobs and nowhere near enough time to do the service properly. It was our experience that many service jobs that should have been done were not done, but I truly cannot blame the dealers because a list of twenty items to be checked in 30 minutes is just plain ridiculous!
You don't think someone can honestly check over your car, and do an oil change properly, in 30 minutes?? Bollucks

And it should be a list of twenty seven items checked. It's not ridiculous. It's able to properly be performed in as little as twenty minutes with the right training and mindset. Thirty is not a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.