Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Any aussie using full synthetic oils?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cbrmale 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Call out for aussies only.Have any of you gone to a full synthetic oil and which one have you used?
Cheers,

#3 · (Edited)
You will need to use a very low ash 5w30 Oil for your for your Hyundai warranty.
The full synthetic 5w30 will give you better economy and oil distribution while the engine is tight. Thinner oil gets into tighter places easier than thick oil.
After the engine has done 80,000 km or more you would be better of changing to a 5w40 but not while the engine is still tight..

I use full synthetic Valvoline Synpower 5W30 as it is one of the only oil that gives out its figures and is extremely low ash that is suitable for Turbo and supercharged engines.

#4 ·
30-weight gives .18% better fuel economy than 40-weight. I only get 10 to 15psi oil pressure at idle on a hot motor with 5W40, so I really wouldn't want any thinner than that. I chose Motul 8100 X-cess because it's a genuine synthetic rather than mineral oil branded as synthetic, and I chose 5W40 because I'm only a short drive from the Central West of NSW where summer temperatures are frequently in the mid-forties. It's ACEA A3 which means low saps (low low sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur); ash content of 8100 X-cess is 1.1%.

Valvoline Synpower is mineral oil and therefore needs to be watched for shear and oxidation (the critical temperature for oxidation would be only 70 degrees). Do a used oil analysis and see how it's performing. Motul X-cess is polyalphaolefin with some ester and additives (no mineral oil).

#8 ·
Valvoline Synpower is mineral oil and therefore needs to be watched for shear and oxidation (the critical temperature for oxidation would be only 70 degrees)
Man you say the stupidest things sometimes.
Weather you like there products or not. If your statment was in fact true, Valvoline would be getting the ass sued off them every other day.
Just to clear it up, we don't have RECARO seats in our Velosters ether fella.
View attachment 28050

I don't get on this site much now, Just too much bullshit.
The truth is our Turbo Gamma 16 engine is at the end of its development in its current form.
If you are going to push more power out of it you need to at least up grade the Rods and Pistons to something a bit stronger to take the extra horse Power or shit will happen.
View attachment 28051

Below is an Overview of SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil.
SynPower Full Synthetic delivers superior engine protection by fighting the three major causes of engine stress: heat, deposits and wear. That's because SynPower is the only leading full synthetic formulated with more durable anti-wear additives that stay in the oil longer. When you want to keep your engine running its best, choose the ultimate protection found in SynPower Full Synthetic.

Premium chemistry and full synthetic base oils help SynPower deliver the ultimate protection against:

Heat - SynPower is formulated with full synthetic base oil and premium chemistry that stands-up to extreme temperatures. SynPower flows when the engine is cool, and maintains its protection barrier as engine temperatures rise.

Deposits - SynPower has extra detergents and dispersants to help prevent harmful build- up of sludge, varnish and other deposits in your engine.

Wear - With all the concern about lower zinc in motor oil, SynPower responded with advanced, more durable anti-wear additives that stay in the oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear.

SynPower meets the performance requirements of most naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged cars operating in North America.

Contact Valvoline Product Support Team by phone at 800 TEAM VAL or by email at valsupport@ashland.com for vehicle application support.

#12 ·
Science and i said goodbye after high school dude.... all i remember about engine oils and synthetics is when brocky was in the mobil ad and perkins was in the castrol ads.... and lawsy said oils aint oils

#13 · (Edited)
Mobil 1 used to be synthetic but after the Castrol case it became mineral oil, so as I posted the only synthetics are some Motul brands and the top of the range Amsoil. There are genuine benefits in true synthetic oils particularly for turbocharged engines where oxidation may become a problem. Mineral oil oxidates at 70 degrees while PAO gets to 90 degrees and ester gets to 110. The oil passes through a hot turbocharger and would comfortably exceed 70 degrees by a whopping margin, so oxidation is guaranteed. Some turbocharged car fanboys run Motul motorcycle oils which are ester-based, but for a Veloster turbo stock with a catback exhaust, the used oil analysis for my Motul PAO car oil shows it is up to the task.

Brock was a wasted talent. He was a naturally skilled racing car driver and could have won races or even a world championship in Formula One at the time, but instead he spent his time driving Holden taxis. Mark Webber until recently and Daniel Ricciardo now are world famous, with Webber winning quite a number of Formula One races and Ricciardo being one of the fastest racing against the best of the best. He will win for sure and possibly a world championship. Larry Perkins did attempt Formula One but wasn't quite good enough, but full credit that he gave it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.