Veloster Turbo Forum banner
10K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  AxisYellow@socalgarageworks 
#1 ·
hey guys
I'm totally new here. Just bought an used VT 2013 around 2 weeks ago and looking to do something with the exhaust to increase the sound. Unfortunately full cat is out of budget. I have been told by a few mates just to get a magnaflow muffler and that should do the trick for me.
Any of you guys done this? which muffler did you get? Magnaflow got so many mufflers and im confused which one to get?
I really like the sound of Golf R and just want a deep sound like the R but not too loud as im driving this car daily.

please help..
thanks

#2 ·
Welcome and there are plenty of guys on here that have done the Magnaflow just search and im sure a whole bunch of treads will pop up i recall a few guys discussing the size mufflers they installed.

#9 ·
Yeah.. a friend of mine has done it. Muffler delete and put a straight pipe on. Cost him $150 or something. Dunno if it did anything too drastic performance wise (took the car 2 weeks to learn it for some reason) but it sounds pretty good

#10 ·
Dunno if it did anything too drastic performance wise (took the car 2 weeks to learn it for some reason)
Did he disconnnect the battery and let it sit then rehook it up? That will help the exhaust learn faster.

OP, muff delete sounds nice, prolly close to what you're looking for, may check with state law and make sure you'll pass reg's tho. If so, just replace the muff/resonator with a diff exhaust muffler.

#15 ·
Yes I know deleting the muffler is not completely legal but who's gonna know? As the car is new it doesnt need to go for rego inspection for a few years.

So sorry im just getting confused, are you guys saying deleting the muffler on my veloster turbo will reduce the performance?

#16 ·
Welcome kevinvelo, you will enjoy the VT, it's a great little car and I still have the same smile today that I had 18 months ago when I got mine.
Laws aside, removing the muffler will give you a deep note but you need to learn to deal with the constant drone and annoying the neigboours, there a few clips around either on this site or the stock veloster site.
You can go for a fully imported system, not sure if I would go for the Varex system as I am not sure if the quality justifies the price.
I went for a simple muffler change (axle back). Replaced the stock muffler with a 15" Redback Chambered Resonator. It has given me a nice deep burble under pressure so when I want to hear the exhaust rumble its just a simple matter of planting the foot. At idle it's just a nice soft rumble and no drone at highway speeds. Best bet is to go to reputable sports exhaust place and play around with a system that will meet what you need.

#17 ·
oh I was going to leave the stock resonators so I wont get drone. Do you guys actually think I will get drone?

This guy that I have gone to is very professional and also Magna flow recommended him to me as well. He says all I need to do is to just delete the muffler.

I have booked with him to do this on Wednesday. Do you guys think i should cancel it? what about changing the stock resonator to a magnaflow resonator?

Appreciate your advice

#18 ·
I would go with the magnaflow.. but thats if you have the money. If you want, you can dyno the car before and after to see if there is any difference. Chris, my friend with the muffler delete, is getting his car ecu tuned in granville by autojoy i think this weekend or next weekend. I will post up graphs if you want.

#19 ·
I'm just going to say I've heard the solo and the magnaflow and I ended buying the borla bc it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I had not heard it before I bought it either. But I am very pleased with the sound. I like the borla over the other two kits.

#20 ·
im feeling so depressed.. Im such a kid.. despite everyone's comment regarding the muffler delete, I couldnt help myself and took the car to Tuffy Mufflers today and got the muffler removed.
The sound is only good when you start the car, after that when u accelerate is too loud and all u hear at high rpm is drone (whoo-whoooo sound).
Took the car back to the muffler guy and told him i dont like the sound, he got very upset and said if u want I put back the stock muffler and then u can f** off.

Just came home, and dont know what to do now.. i drive this car daily and cant have it this loud.

What's your suggestions? So sorry i didnt listen to some of you, the guy fooled me and said dont listen what other people are saying this would make the car sound good.

please helppp

#22 ·
You poor bugger. What a rude prick. Tuffy is a franchise isnt it? Yes unfortunatly trying to save money doesnt always work. A magnaflow muff will replace your stock muff entirely. Take it to a perdormance exhaust shop and ask for advice. U can fix this its all good.

#28 ·
I'm in Sydney. Ya tuffy is a franchise but not sure why that guy got so upset when i said i dont like the sound.

now im just gonna order a mangaflow muffler from the internet and just take it another exhaust shop to fit it in for me. Just not sure which muffler to get?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.