Veloster Turbo Forum banner

What did you do/get for your Veloster today?

2M views 16K replies 700 participants last post by  trdtoy 
#1 ·
For those of us who do not have build threads or a place to show what we've recently done to our VT.

I do not have any juicy pics to start things off but I did receive my Quik valve drain plug, and I just ordered some BTJetman rear reflector mesh inserts. Looking to get me some black eye line covers next.

#12,660 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

3.5" intake plumbing and modified airbox are complete. I have also finished mounting the air/oil separator in my PCV system (seen mounted in front of the alternator here).

But there is a distinct yet subtle whistle at low RPM coming from my motor now that I have the modified intake... anyone heard of this? I hope so, otherwise, it might indicate a leak somewhere in my tube or connection or something in the intake system.

Reactions: Bigbird
#12,661 ·
Oh - looks like you have the XWEK too.

#12,662 · (Edited)
I do! Good eye!!! that was a cinch to install and worth every penny. That is an item someone with a bunch of car stereo experience or even electronic experience can probably make themselves and save a few bucks on (albeit, not much as the XWEK is reasonably priced IMO), but I lack the vocabulary so I bought the XWEK and fucking love it. Antoher thing that is nice about the XWEK is that Xe took the time and care to make it's final installation apear OEM which is a big part of the overall theme I am shooting for on this car. Kind of the "sleeper" modder so-to-speak. XWEK cleaned things up quite a bit.

EDIT - You just reminded me to update my sig to include the newest additions.

#12,664 ·
the easiest thing you notice is that a cold start fires up the same way it would if you shut your motor off after a long drive and turned it over 30 seconds later. Fires up clean. The next thing is having fun trying to overload the electrical system. I cranked the AC, turned the stereo up and had the bass beat and all that fun stuff. plugged my phone into the 110V jack in the center consol, headlights and fogs on with hazards going, rolled all windows and sunroof all at once. With all this, I could not get the lights to dim, the RPMs to flutter... nothing. I've tried to find fault and thus far I cannot. It will be many many months before it's cold enough to experience a REAL cold start but at this point I have confidence.

BTW, if the empirical evidence doesn't float your boat... I also pulled measurements with my multi-meter and prior to installation I was measuring something like 1.6 ohms of resistance and after install, I was down around .4 ohms of resistance. From what I've seen of others who have installed this they measured much higher resistnace on their older cars (likely due to dirty and failing ground points). My car is still fairly new so the resistance was already pretty low to begin with. But in every example I've seen where someone posted hard data, regardless of where they started, they ended up in that .5-.4 ohms range.

Not a very sexy mod. I certainly didn't gain any WHP, didn't make the car look better, didn't help me win best in show... but this is a performance modification nonetheless and it performs as advertised.

#12,665 ·
Put the ET Street R's on the car today to put them through some heat cycles to break them in. They bite better than my street tires but I can still spin them pretty easy. With the custom rear drag suspension on the car it's a different story. Pretty confident it should cut a 1.8-1.9 sec 60' with a boost launch!

Should easily cut a few tenths off my 1/8 times which means records will be set soon!

Next 1/8 mile scheduled for 6/29.
Next 1/4 mile scheduled for 7/7.

#12,666 ·
While breaking in the drag radials I notice a car turn around and followed me for a while. First thing I think is a cop since the car stick out due to tires past fenders and can be heard a mile up the road with an open downpipe!

Pull into gas station and the car follows. Turns out a car full of high school boys. Long story short they thought it had over 500 hp from the look and sound of it. Plus they saw me burn em off through almost the first 3 gears when I took off a few minutes before.

This likely helped them guess the overly high number as I'm sure they do not realize that the tires were not even up to temperature, broken in, or at the proper psi to hook up!

I just lol!

#12,670 · (Edited)
Ordered pierce rear torsion bar, strut bar, and pierce street down pipe. Going to order the Xe TXE downpipe elbow tonight... Closest I can get to an Xe DP for now :)... Scared shitless of snapping a bolt head on the turbo but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

EDIT - Finally got the strut bar... total piece of shit. I should have invested in a higher quality one but the price was right I suppose (for now)

#12,671 ·
Ordered some new rims and tire, now got to wait till Thursday for them to show up.

Reactions: YellowSnowMan
#12,672 ·
Alright so over the recent weekend, quite a lot happened. The clamshell spring compressor came in from eBay so I, with some assistance from my Dad who, even if I didn't ask to help, is the type to help anyway, removed the driver's side strut in 105 degree weather.

Or rather, I did. I didn't mind the blast of vitamin D and skin cancer, or the biting mosquitoes because I was on a mission: Fix the VT's damn sloppy suspension once and for all. Once off, we tried the clamshell compressor and surprise! It was still too large for us to use comfortably and safely for the VT's baby suspension. So I said, Dad, thanks, but let's put it all on and just take it to a shop. That evening, we got a quote of $80 for a suspension shop to reseat the poorly assembled Mobis driver's side shock and to mount the passenger Mobis shock. Great. Not bad. I still had time to get to work on my new mesh grill from Custom Car Grills.

I bought a Chicago Electric rotary tool for $20 from Harbor Freight (My bae hardware store. They are a goldmine for affordable go-kart engines!). I spent from 7pm til 3am cutting out the OEM grill, slag flying left and right in my bedroom (bless my parent's hearts). At one point, the cutting wheel broke and in the middle of a storm at 1am, my father drove me to Walmart to buy more cutting wheels as I wasn't keen on driving bumper-less in heavy rain. Did I mention that my dad rocks?

Anyway, after cutting out the frame, I dozed off for a few hours before dropping Doyun off at the suspension shop. Back home I PD'd the frame, glued the mesh with all purpose Goop into the frame, zip tied it, waited. A few hours later, it was time to mount. That was a pain, honestly, but going slowly the stiff mesh gracefully bent into place into the bumper. At this point, I retrieved Doyun from the shop, returned the bumper with the new, awesome grill and finally, placed the Hyundai logo. It was all done. And let me tell you, holy shit does Doyun handle much better. The bounciness is all but gone and the ride is more comfortable.

My VT will never have a comfortable ride, I accepted, but with each suspension mod the ride does become more compliant. The remaining harshness is from the worn front tires and the VT's inability to fully settle on it's suspension after meeting road imperfections. I ordered less aggressive, less stiff rubber in a taller profile, so we'll see how much of an affect it'll have on comfort. Handling wise, Doyun's a dream. It can take turns at speeds that belies it's FWD dimensions, its light rear end quickly following the lead of the front during turns that normally induced mountains of understeer and body lean. Also, the car turns even more heads now because of the awesome new grill. Huzzah, thanks for reading, I'll share photos eventually xD

#12,674 ·
Installed the Pierce VT One strut brace, rear torsion bar and a TT Racing OCC. Still got to put the Pierce 2 point on but need bigger ratchet.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

#12,678 ·
so YOU'RE the one who bought that phone

#12,682 ·
Thank you. It's been hard but I'm coping.

Also I installed a silver front tow hook. I got it from eBay for 15 buckaroos and while it wedges inside of the hole, the size is juuuust off to where it will wobble and annoy me. To remove, you'd have to yank on it with good force while shaking it back and forth. That said, it hasn't fallen out on the drive to work, but I intend to wrap the tow hook's threads in tape and plug that hole like a feverish prom date because only professionally installed mods are good enough for my VT.

#12,687 ·
Installed the XWEK today.
Cold start seemed smoother and with a/c running and rolling all 3 windows up the RPMs stayed steady which is a nice change compared to the tach displayed 200rpm drop before.

Awesome product -X-. Now I need to clean up my other ground points soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#12,688 ·
That was the first thing I noticed when testing this kit. Cleaning up the grounds is definitely worthwhile. My head unit freezing issue was taken care of with a simple sanding of the ground points and liberal application of dielectric grease.

Reactions: E9C900A
#12,692 ·
damn.... spdy nasty would have been awesome!!!