Veloster Turbo Forum

Hyundai/Kia admit overstating MPG claims

This is a discussion on Hyundai/Kia admit overstating MPG claims within the Veloster Turbo News forums, part of the Hyundai Veloster Turbo category; Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims - WSJ.com Under the compensation plan, buyers of Hyundai and Kia cars will visit dealers for an odometer check and ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hyundai/Kia admit overstating MPG claims

Premium Member
    Helloooooooooooooooo.

Hyundai/Kia admit overstating MPG claims

Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims - WSJ.com

Under the compensation plan, buyers of Hyundai and Kia cars will visit dealers for an odometer check and an estimate of what they would have saved if the fuel mileage had lived up to the overstated estimate on the window price sticker. The reimbursement will continue for as long as customers own the cars, the company spokesman said.

People buying cars after the new mileage estimates are posted on the window stickers won't be compensated.

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/

Elite White owner

Well that is nice of them to pay us back. I'm a little confused on how they will pay us for future use. Would we need to go back into the dealer every so often and have them check mileage to calculate how much they will write a check for?

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

So here's a kick, are dealerships aware of this? I don't feel like wasting my time and arguing with my Dealership for a few pennies, I mean I want to make sure if I go over there that they quickly look at my ODO and that they write a check.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Robertfernandez.acndirect.com

So if this applied to me I'm getting a nice check 310000 original miles, but Hyundai is good for "compensating" customers for their mistakes, in '01 they overstated the hp on the sante fe and cut ppl checks and gave out extended warranties
    Help me feed hungry children... Robertfernandez.acndirect.com

Premium Member
    Helloooooooooooooooo.

Here's the page with the program facts:

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/resources...-program-facts

Looks like you register online, then you get your milage recorded by a Hyundai dealer.

Claim Process

Current owners (original and subsequent): To make a claim, current owners must: (1) register their contact information (by mail, email, fax or online via www.HyundaiMPGinfo.com); and (2) obtain a mileage reading from an authorized Hyundai dealer.

Former owners (original and subsequent): To make a claim, former owners must: (1) register their contact information (by mail, email or fax); and (2) provide proof of mileage during their ownership of the vehicle (e.g., purchase and sale documents, odometer disclosure statements, smog certification, repair orders or other documents demonstrating mileage).

Owners who provide an email address will receive confirmation that Hyundai has received and is reviewing their claim. Once their claim has been approved, owners will be sent a debit card with their reimbursement.

Compensation

Mileage formula: Owners will be reimbursed based on: (1) 2012 average fuel prices for their geographic area times 1.15; (2) mileage accrued by the owner; (3) change in combined (city/hwy) EPA estimates for their vehicle; and (4) fuel grade (regular or premium) recommended for their vehicle.

2012 average fuel prices will be based on U.S. Energy Information Administration data for the owner’s geographic area (e.g., New England or Gulf Coast).

Choices: Owners will receive a debit card with reimbursement based on the above formula.

Applicable Time Period Limitations

Current and former owners may make a claim for mileage reimbursement beginning November 2, 2012. Owners must make their first claim within one year of November 2, 2012.

Current owners are advised to make one claim every calendar year, though they will be permitted to make more than one per year. They may also submit a second claim in a calendar year upon the sale of their subject vehicle. Former owners may make one claim (per vehicle).

Mileage will not be reimbursed for new owners taking ownership of any of the affected vehicles after November 2, 2012, excepting inter-family changes of ownership between immediate family members.

HMA Processing

Hyundai will review owner requests and send reimbursement within 120 days of their complete claim submission.
    Last edited by 1.6 T-GDI; 11-02-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Premium Member
    Helloooooooooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeskape View Post
    So if this applied to me I'm getting a nice check 310000 original miles, but Hyundai is good for "compensating" customers for their mistakes, in '01 they overstated the hp on the sante fe and cut ppl checks and gave out extended warranties
    It's only for selected vehicles from 2011 - 2013 MYs. The VT A/T and M/T are a part of the selected models.
    Last edited by 1.6 T-GDI; 11-02-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Halfway through my lease and
    Perla is doing great!!!!

Thanks for letting us know !!!!! I am at the site now but I see no link to actually register. All is information right now.
    Elite White A/T Tech Blue Accents w/ 35% Tints

Finally she's mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vtlover67 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know !!!!! I am at the site now but I see no link to actually register. All is information right now.
    Enter your VIN here to verify your qualification and then register. https://hyundaimpginfo.com/contact/do-i-qualify
    2013 VTurbo Boston Red * Gray Trim * A/T * Ultimate - Followed me home on 09/11/2012

Halfway through my lease and
    Perla is doing great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
    Enter your VIN here to verify your qualification and then register. https://hyundaimpginfo.com/contact/do-i-qualify
    Thanks, earlier that bin part did not show on the page. I guess they were in the process of programming the page.

Ooops! I meant VIN, LOL!!!
    Last edited by vtlover67; 11-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Elite White A/T Tech Blue Accents w/ 35% Tints

Finally she's mine!!!

The issue that I take with this situation is that they are only reimbursing for the difference in "Combined" MPG (28 actual vs 29 claimed). If your driving conditions leans more heavily towards the Highway range then your actual "loss" is 3MPG but still only getting reimbursed for 1MPG loss.
    2013 VTurbo Boston Red * Gray Trim * A/T * Ultimate - Followed me home on 09/11/2012

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links