Track Day Impressions

Veloster Turbo Forum

Track Day Impressions

This is a discussion on Track Day Impressions within the Veloster Turbo Racing / Performance Driving forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; I always wanted to test cars and experience taking the cars to its limits. I prefer testing a RWD car in the track, my Lexus, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Track Day Impressions

Done with moding

Exclamation Track Day Impressions

I always wanted to test cars and experience taking the cars to its limits. I prefer testing a RWD car in the track, my Lexus, but I went with the VT this time for a few reasons such as:

- I don't know the track and rules there, so driving a RWD car in a track will be harder than a FWD car.
    - The VT is cheaper to maintain and repair incase it got damaged.
    - I don't plan to keep the car for long to be honest.

Anyway it is time to talk about the VT track impression.

Pros:

The car handled better than I expected, the seats were very impressive and the car didn't have too much of body roll but there was some. The car handled 30 minutes of continues abuse such that I was on full throttle/ brakes repeatedly and the temperature was within normal range. One of the guys I met was driving a Dodge Charger Hellcat he had to ease up on the car after each lap, since his car temperature increased frequently.

Cons:

I noticed some things which could be improved such as the tires, which were very bad from performance point of view ( They are Chinese tires). The tires were increasing the body roll and not gripping enough, but the good thing is that they were predictable.
    The brakes performance dropped dramatically, obvious they cannot handle tracking. The transmission need better adjustment I switched it to manual mode and in many times I need to downshift and it doesn't let me.
    My cars:
    - Lexus is350 2014 ( stock)
    - Veloster turbo 2016 with 7spd DCT (my DD).
    Current Modes : Heat Wraped 6EE SRI - MBRP Hot Pipe - Pierce Torsion Bar - OCC.
    Planned: Tune ... Duh

I know nothing about cars

Ah you took an automatic to the track, I had a blast in my manual. I went on the track pushing the car and stock Kumho tires to their absolute limits for six 30 minute sessions and the brakes never wavered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mr.MattyV likes this.
    '16 Matte Gray Veloster Turbo 3.5" Turbosocks Intake MBRP Catback Tork Catless Downpipe
    845 Coldpipe and Hotpipe Synapse R35V BOV WGA Adjustment Mod 6EE Shifter Cable End Bushings 6EE Fuel Line Upgrade SoCal CF Fenders Seibon CF Hood EX LED KDM Spec Headlights
    Diode Dynamics LED Interior/Exterior Lighting UNIQ Rigid Collars BC Racing Type BR Coilovers
    Pierce VT ONE Strut Bar Pierce Rear Camber Kit Enkei Kojin 18x8.5 +35

Done with moding

Quote Originally Posted by DenverVeeTee View Post
    Ah you took an automatic to the track, I had a blast in my manual. I went on the track pushing the car and stock Kumho tires to their absolute limits for six 30 minute sessions and the brakes never wavered.

The track which I went to is full of Porsches and BMW M cars, even the slow cars there had track tires (the VT was the slowest there BTW) . I had to push the car aggressively and thats why the brakes performance dropped. I'm not sure how your brakes handled six sessions, because in the track I tried there was many sharp corners and you will have to go from 160KM to 80 or 60 frequently, and to keep up I had to late brake.
    My cars:

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

I know nothing about cars

Quote Originally Posted by AMNss View Post
    The track which I went to is full of Porsches and BMW M cars, even the slow cars there had track tires (the VT was the slowest there BTW) . I had to push the car aggressively and thats why the brakes performance dropped. I'm not sure how your brakes handled six sessions, because in the track I tried there was many sharp corners and you will have to go from 160KM to 80 or 60 frequently, and to keep up I had to late brake.
    it's a 2.7 mile track, I had zero issues with my brakes, no brake fade at all and that's a shot of the vt holding her own. There were plenty of corvettes there running circles around me sure, not saying I wasn't slow I just didn't have any problems with my brakes. The track is very technical, lots of elevation changes and blind corners.

'16 Matte Gray Veloster Turbo 3.5" Turbosocks Intake MBRP Catback Tork Catless Downpipe
    845 Coldpipe and Hotpipe Synapse R35V BOV WGA Adjustment Mod 6EE Shifter Cable End Bushings 6EE Fuel Line Upgrade SoCal CF Fenders Seibon CF Hood EX LED KDM Spec Headlights
    Diode Dynamics LED Interior/Exterior Lighting UNIQ Rigid Collars BC Racing Type BR Coilovers
    Pierce VT ONE Strut Bar Pierce Rear Camber Kit Enkei Kojin 18x8.5 +35

Done with moding

I didn't have brake issue, just a drop in performance. After the session I had to push the brakes deeper to stop, also I have to mention that my car is still using the brakes from the manufacturer after 25 K miles. Additionally a manual transmission will much much more fun to drive in the track.

Name:  f1_12_6.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  210.9 KB

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  1600px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Paddock_Circuit.svg.png
Views: 66
Size:  385.4 KB
    My cars:

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

the stock pads did not work for me, and upgrading to the pierce pads helped some. changing the fluid made the biggest difference with the pierce pads.

get yourself some 200tw tires! that will make the car turn much better. i'm running direzza star specs myself. love their wet and dry performance.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster Base Manual, 39K miles
    Record holder for highest HP/TQ 167whp / 138wtq TUNED NAV (sold 1/5/14)
    BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual, 60K miles
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - Viper start
    Porterfield VTRS pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - NEFD rear diffuser

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

this is one of my 5 local tracks. palmer motorsports park. check out the elevation

Mr.MattyV likes this.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster Base Manual, 39K miles
    Record holder for highest HP/TQ 167whp / 138wtq TUNED NAV (sold 1/5/14)
    BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual, 60K miles
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - Viper start
    Porterfield VTRS pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - NEFD rear diffuser

Watching people do their thing

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    this is one of my 5 local tracks. palmer motorsports park. check out the elevation

I've been here a couple times. I found Palmer to be refreshingly technical.
    2016 VT Rally Edition

OEM Modified Airbox | ORCP | Clutch Switch Mod

To Be Installed:
    PMS Torsion Bar | Rigid Collars | 3TBS | 60MM TB w/ coolant bypass | SXTH fuel line | MBRP Catback w/ 2nd cat delete

Soon:
    ORHP | 3.5" Silicone ORIT | 3.5" XMOA | XE OCC | SXTH Cable End Bushings | SXTH custom tune

Buy my love with corndogs

Veloster Challenge - Veloster Racing Several of us have tracked with stock tires and brakes and had no issues. Of course the car only gets to be more fun when you upgrade everything

JGP
    Present

^^^ +1 come check it out. Have some fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links