Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Bigger tire cause anyone an ABS error?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MyDianaZ06 
#1 ·
I just had my semi-annual oil change at the dealer and got some strange info from them. At 26,000 miles, I'm due for some new tires and when I mentioned I was thinking about going with 225/40/18's, the dealer said I would have to go with a 35 instead of 40. When I mentioned the 2016 Veloster turbo came with 225/40/18's, he said the ECU in mine wasn't tuned for them and I would start throwing ABS errors. He also mentioned I would probably get rubbing. I just walked away. Sad thing is I really like the dealership. Never had problems.

I read in the wheels thread that the 225/40/18's will fit stock rims and suspension but checking to see if anyone runs them and gets errors. Thanks.

#3 ·
ABS error? Likely, but negligible. Your ABS will still work. I am guessing they just want you to be on the safe side. You have to remember that a LOT of car buyers are ignorant of these things, and they are probably treating everyone that way. "Probably" is the keyword.

#6 ·
I have 5000 miles now on my new tire(225/40/18 Vogue signature V) with 20mm spacers all around and never seen any ABS light. You may want to reset the ECU and see if the ABS light will come on again. If not, bring it back to the dealer and talk to the service manager.

#7 ·
That fool has no idea what he is talking about. At stock height you will not rub, throw an error, or have any problem whatsoever with 225/40R18. Do not get your tires from the dealership. almost guaranteed they cost more than anybody and their techs don't slang tires all day like tire shops do. If you have a Costco membership, I recommend that place highly. If not, just go to your local tire shop. I also recommend that you do your research first and decide exactly what tires you want including brand , type, price, etc, before going to a tire shop.

#8 ·
The car/ecu has no clue what size tires are on it other than what is programmed in the ecu. It uses this number and rpm/gear ratio to determine speed on gauge cluster. Larger tires decrease rpm and speed reads slower than actual. Smaller tires increase rpm and speed reads faster than actual. Will not affect anything other than speed readout, nothing else.....

#10 ·
Not unless the ecu knows how much revolutions the ABS gears should be at a certain speed. It could through a code. But I don't think that would be an issue unless you are going to dunk the vt. going from a 215/40 to a 225/40 would not and has proven that it does not throw any codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.