Hyundai caved. Quality will go even lower

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on Hyundai caved. Quality will go even lower within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Summary : 2020 Hyundai Elantra will ship with a CVT transmission, and manual trans are gone. I work in the automotive parts industry and have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By alg
  • 1 Post By E9C900A
  • 1 Post By weinerd

Thread: Hyundai caved. Quality will go even lower

This user has no status.

Summary: 2020 Hyundai Elantra will ship with a CVT transmission, and manual trans are gone.

I work in the automotive parts industry and have many interactions with car manufacturers, parts manufacturers, and O.E. manufacturers like Delphi and JATCO.

What I am about to put out here is some info on a Very Big secret that people in my profession are not supposed to discuss.

The car manufacturers are aware of the nosedive in reliability when using ANY CVT transmission. This has been known since 2003 when the first gen Jatco's were going out on 20%+ of the Nissan's using it.

Hyundai/Kia and Toyota were staunch hold outs on using a CVT because the percentage of vehicle with a problem in the first 100000 miles goes up by more than 12%. Nissan and FCA have numbers near the 20% mark.

Honda recently made the change to CVT trans, and their real reliability numbers when down by more than 10%. What that means is taking a car model with a standard transmission and replacing it with a CVT resulted in greater than 10% more of the cars sold having some major repair before 100000 miles.
    The CVT is suspected to have dented Honda's sales numbers in 2016, and 2017, when sales went down significantly.
    Remember, this was the same time when you could get a car loan with Zero down and he ability to fog a mirror from just about anyone.

Based on Nissan, FCA, Honda, and Subaru, it is safe to say that the more CVT's used by Hyundai, the more quality will suffer and the more its customers will have to go in for transmission service.
    (Ironic, because to this day no one can service a CVT. Any failure results in a complete transmission replacement)

All information available says that CVT transmissions are not reliable in the long run, and cannot actually be repaired.

So why would these car companies use a CVT if that was the case?
    Well, I have to stop there because no one knows the real truth. I have some ideas, but no way to know if they are correct.

Please, if you can avoid it, DO NOT purchase ANY car with a CVT transmission. There are terabytes of data which show this is the fastest way to bring down quality and put more repairs on its customers.
    Last edited by alg; 05-15-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix sentence grammar, feed cat
    Flareon likes this.
    2016 Veloster Turbo MT
    Hesitation Package, Bad Hyundai Dealer Package,
    Disintegrating Interior Package
    Mods:
    Odor management system: Royal Pine, XMas Tree
    Disaster Package: Hyundai spare tire
    Tork Motorsports Short Shifter
    Tork Motorsports Boost Solenoid
    Tork Motorsports Tune
    ONLY 1 small Tork Motorsports sticker. Just 1, and it was green.

The Snail says
    "Wooooooosssh"

Well that's one way to sell more electric cars.
    This VT is out there somewhere, but it is no longer mine.....Pierce rear torsion bar, VT-One Strut Brace, 65-duro lower motor mount insert, Rigid Collars, K&N drop in air filter, MSW Type 25 16 inch wheels, Continental Purecontact Tires, very skinny driver

This user has no status.

I mean part of it is the 1-25 percent take on manuals. Not enough people are buying them so what’s the point in continuing to make them? Look at the “Supra” I use the quotes because with out a 6 speed it isn’t the same thing to me.

Save the Stick.
    Buy a manual while you still can. And don’t chump out like I did two years ago and take the auto because it’s there.

Also OP is correct and CVTs are bad news. I think they will be good one day in the future. But the truth is they want you to buy new cars sooner than later.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    13 Veloster Turbo Base AT
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Anyone who’s ever test-driven a CVT already knows they suck and will stay away from them.

Planned obsolescence is nothing new.
    Flareon likes this.

Former Owner

Guess we'll have to stick to DCTs then.

This user has no status.

I remember reading about one of the first cars with CVT- the nissan murano, and what a disaster those CVTs were. that's 17 years of development for CVTs and they still suck. Flareon says "I think one day they will be good in the future"- people said those exact same words 17 years ago, and I'm willing to be someone will be saying those exact same words 17 years from now.

It's all about MPG. Manufacturers will push through a substandard technology to get the best publicized MPG numbers for people... Yeah you can squeeze out more MPG on the EPA test with a CVT but a what cost?
    Think about the whole MPG recall for Hyundai and Kia... I have a kia soul still on the reimbursement. 90000 miles so far, I take it in for verification every 7500 miles, and I get a debit card for avg $250 each time. So for I've gotten $3000 back, on a car I paid $15000 for initially, so far that means it's a $12k car, and if I keep it to 120k miles Kia will have reimbursed me 1/4 of the value of the car. The further I drive it, the more I get back. I didn't care about the MPG, but it was rated 2-3 MPG higher than it should have been. They going to pay me back no less than $4k over the lifetime of the vehicle because they inflated a number by less than 10%. So manufacturers are putting their money on the fact that consumers will go after vehicles with low MPG.
    RPW00Mirage likes this.
    2016 Pacific Blue VT DCT
    TurboXS CAI with K&N Apollo or Spectre in-line filter - TurboSmart Kompact BPV - Megan front strut brace - Savanini flappy paddle shift extenders - Updated boost pressure sensor - Magnaflow axleback exhaust - Tracy Lewis clean-side separator - Dual catch cans - Roofline sharkfin vortex generators - Generic lip spoiler - Morris Club front canards - Pierce rear torsion bar

This user has no status.

Change your transmission fluid well before 100k miles, tho.

This user has no status.

Fluid change interval on CVT in 16 murano is 30k miles. How many people do you think actually do it?
    Turbo Got Dam it
    13 Veloster Turbo Base AT
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
    Fluid change interval on CVT in 16 murano is 30k miles. How many people do you think actually do it?
    If I were to guess based on reddit posts... like nobody.