Fog Light Vents DIY - Page 3

Veloster Turbo Forum

Fog Light Vents DIY

This is a discussion on Fog Light Vents DIY within the Tippett Auto Design forums, part of the Vendors category; TyBardy - I have to assume you'll get your grill done before I get to mine. I've been thinking about bumper sag and zip-ties. The ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fog Light Vents DIY

This user has no status.

TyBardy - I have to assume you'll get your grill done before I get to mine. I've been thinking about bumper sag and zip-ties. The typical method to secure the mesh during gluing is to use zip-ties. However, ties will pull a grill frame slightly toward center and out of its original shape. I wonder if a dozen cheap spring clamps would be a better method to hold mesh to a grill to bond it. Also, I've wondered about cutting a metal rod spacer to fit the frame and hold it's shape during boding. The rod(s) could be tacked in place with superglue and removed with a tiny bit of acetone (which can eat plastic so you have to be careful). Let us know any creative solutions you have to hold the frame shape.
    2016 DCT
    Gimp Hand Controls
    Xenon Element HF ORHP, ORCP, 3TBS, XWEK
    Eng 60mm Throttle Body 35100-2E400, MAP Sensor 39300-84400, SXTH 3.5" Intake, TXS SML Hybrid BOV, Mag Oil Drain
    Susp TS Rigid Collars, PMS Rear Torsion Bar
    Elec Disabled ASD, OBDLink LX+Moto G3 Phone
    In a Box OCC Parts, Custom Grill, Solo Perf Full 3" Exhaust, SXTH Full 3" DP
    Other SXTH Front Crossmember
    Plan Canned Tork Tune, Tork EBC solenoid, -X- RCV Solenoid

WOT all day

this looks great, although i would be scared these would be bringing in more salt and debris. For those with no winter and a true cold air intake it would make sense.
    M.P.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    2013 Battleship Grey VT - Tech Package
    Summer Wheel Setup - Gloss Black Powder Coated OEM 18" Wheels / Achilles ATR Sport Tires 215/40ZR18 XL 89W 400-AA-A

If it aint broke, fix it until
    it is

Quote Originally Posted by 4estGimp View Post
    TyBardy - I have to assume you'll get your grill done before I get to mine. I've been thinking about bumper sag and zip-ties. The typical method to secure the mesh during gluing is to use zip-ties. However, ties will pull a grill frame slightly toward center and out of its original shape. I wonder if a dozen cheap spring clamps would be a better method to hold mesh to a grill to bond it. Also, I've wondered about cutting a metal rod spacer to fit the frame and hold it's shape during boding. The rod(s) could be tacked in place with superglue and removed with a tiny bit of acetone (which can eat plastic so you have to be careful). Let us know any creative solutions you have to hold the frame shape.
    I am on the fence with the entire grill... I still want to modify the OEM grill to remove the brick as well as the blockouts in the middle cross section. If I don't find an OEM donner grill soon (before end of summer) I will likely get some mesh and match the fog vents and rear reflector vents that I am going to be making in the coming weeks. I don't think I trust the goop being used in the original video and I think I will be using JB weld instead. I will run a practice adhesion on the peice I cutout to make sure it's strong. As for spring clamps, I would think this would actually create a larger problem than zip-ties as there is no control over pressure. At least with the ZipTies we can pull them as tight or as loose as we need.

There are some decent "fixes" for bumper sag floating around the forum. I don't know where any of them are off the top of my head (at least as far as a decent write up goes) but you can see a photo of one on page 1,254 of "what did you do to your veloster today". Dragonbeard has a photo of his front end without the front facia on and you can see the L-Bracket's he has installed to help with sag. My issue with that is, I have yet to find anyone with exact and nearly exact diminsions on how to make that L-bracket.
    2016 VT DCT - Tech Package with a few factory extras

K&N Drop in Filter in Modified OEM Air Box | 3.5" Silicone Intake Tube | Cheap BOV | PCV OCC to AOS | Vented Crank Recirc | PUP 5w30 & Magnetic Oil Plug | 60mm TB with ORCP & Coolant Bypass | Coated ORHP | XWEK | 84400 MAP Sensor | 3TBS | Front Strut Bar and PMS Rear Torsion Bar | Torqon Rigid Collars | XPVS | Coated Catless DP (TXE + PMS Street DP w/ 90* bung) | AEM Meth Injection | ORIC v1

Click Here for build thread and pics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links