Veloster Turbo Forum banner

New Rotors and Pads. Still getting a scraping sound on my Rotor with a mark

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  vincejr 
#1 ·
So i just installed brand new rotors with Hawk Performance Ceramics because I was hearing a scraping sound. Initially it sounded like a warped rotor with a skip between the scraping sound.
The rotors were very rusty and the front pads were pretty worn out. I did not notice any odd surface wear on the rotors when I took them off. So now with all new rotors and pads I am still getting a scraping sound. After breaking the pads in I checked all four rotors and 3 were fine. The right front rotor has a line in the center of the rotor while the other 3 do NOT. This is the first time I have ever run into anything like this.
Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Bent rim?
Bad axle?
Bad caliper?

Please help!! lol

All input is greatly appreciated.

Ill be posting pics later tonight

#6 ·
To quote the Black Knight .. "tis but a scratch"

But seriously, if something is gouging the rotor then something is touching .. pull the wheel and get in there and suss it out (it's not difficult)

#7 ·
Here is the front left rotor
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

Here is the front right rotor with the line.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

So the sound has not been happening today on my way to work. Im hoping that it was just some weird sound from the pad breaking in but I will be keeping an eye on it and give updates as the days go by.
christobevii3 the line is not all that deep. It grabs the fingernail but thats about it. My main concern is that this was the sound I was hearing before I replaced all of these parts.

#10 ·
christobevii3 I made sure to keep the brakes in the box instead of lying them on the driveway and inspected them before and after putting the in place.
TreeHugger74 ill try the paint marker technique. Good idea to see if its still scraping. I still cant hear anything so my guess is the caliper piston was just getting set in place with the new brakes.

#11 ·
Well I'm still getting a sound. It is quieter than before with the new Hawk pads. I am starting to think it is something completely different. I get slight shaking when traveling at lower speeds. Feels like something is off balance or might be bent. When i press on the brake pedal softly, I can feel the pedal slightly bounce up and down as I am stopping. Bent axle or rim? New one to me.

#14 ·
Jack up the car, spin the wheels, see if one grabs. If you have one rubbing check if the rotor is warped and then loosen up the caliper, check pads are mounted well, and reassemble. You got something off somewhere. Bent suspension or what not wouldn't cause the brakes to rub and would be bent together.

#16 ·
Well I figured out the source of my brake issues. First, my caliper piston was somewhat stuck. Idk why it was but I gave it some lube and it is working great now. It seemed that it would get stuck half way in the pressed position so it was tilting my brakes. I replaced the rear brakes as well when I looked at what was wrong.
Second, was a melted/beaten down rotor to hub screw...... There are two screws to hold the rotor to the hub or wheel bearing that you can also use to remove the rotor with better ease if you half unscrew them. (you dont really need these screws as the rotor is free floating on the VT but personally I like to have them) One of these screws was either beaten down with a hammer or melted somehow while still inside of the hub/bearing. The rotor could not fully rest against the hub so it had the sound like my rotor was warped. I ended up just grinding it down flush with the hub and now everything fits perfectly! :smile:
No more scraping sound or worry of warped rotor/other potentially horrible issues!! Thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this one. It is a first for me to see that happen to any car!

#17 ·
Glad you got it solved!

#21 ·
Mine actually came back now. Still getting a warped feeling but they are brand new rotors. Going to jack it up and see if i missed part of the seet screw or something thats not making it flush. Brakes are starting to squeel again when I am braking with a certain pressure as well. Hopefully I can figure this one out soon.....

#22 ·
Is it still possible that you have some debris on the back of the rotor or the face of the hub that is keeping the rotor from mating flush and true to the hub face?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.