Weird grinding noise

Veloster Turbo Forum

Weird grinding noise

This is a discussion on Weird grinding noise within the Veloster Brakes forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; I bought my veloster practically brand new it had 8,000 miles on it and now it's at 20,000. At around 18,000 the brakes started to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird grinding noise

This user has no status.

Weird grinding noise

I bought my veloster practically brand new it had 8,000 miles on it and now it's at 20,000. At around 18,000 the brakes started to make a weird grinding noise if I slowly let off the brake or slowly come to a stop. I do not think the brakes/rotors are bad seeming how I hardly have any miles on the car. The rotors still look good. My stock brakes/rotors on my old dodge stratus never made this noise and they lasted me to about 50,000 miles on that car. Is this noise normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

This user has no status.

Check all your pads. One of them probably is worn down due to slide pins not freely moving from living in an area that salts roads.

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

what he said, check the slide pins... also you may have a small pebble stuck in somewhere.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD! - TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap - Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - DZIII tires

2001 Emerald Green Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods - A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Successful Speeder

Quote Originally Posted by Covetingjarl View Post
    I bought my veloster practically brand new it had 8,000 miles on it and now it's at 20,000. At around 18,000 the brakes started to make a weird grinding noise if I slowly let off the brake or slowly come to a stop. I do not think the brakes/rotors are bad seeming how I hardly have any miles on the car. The rotors still look good. My stock brakes/rotors on my old dodge stratus never made this noise and they lasted me to about 50,000 miles on that car. Is this noise normal? Has anyone else experienced this?
    If it has tbat few miles so they can look at it. We can guess all day long but someone needs to pull the wheel off and look. Might as well let the people who would fix it under warranty do it . It could be something as simple as some debris or rock getting caught up under the pad.

This user has no status.

I have a similar issue. 19K miles on the car and I am getting a wicked grinding noise. I did take it to a Hyundai dealer. They inspected the car and said it had no problems. I just bought the car and it's likely it had sat on a dealer lot for a year before I got it. The mechanic told me that sitting will build up rust on the rotors and that will cause the noise.

Mechanic told me the only way to get rid of the noise was to either drive the car for awhile, or replace or lathe the rotors. He said other than surface rust the rotors and pads were fine and doing the job would cost around $750.00 and that would not be covered under warranty.

Should I get a second opinion at a non-Hyundai shop?

Has anybody else dealt with these symptoms and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks!
    Dave

This user has no status.

Non Hyundai should be cheaper. Removing rotors, getting them turned, and reinstalling, should cost around half that much. You may have to replace the rotors which would cost a good bit more than getting them turned.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Non Hyundai should be cheaper. Removing rotors, getting them turned, and reinstalling, should cost around half that much. You may have to replace the rotors which would cost a good bit more than getting them turned.
    Thanks for the reply!

It sounds like you might have experience with this? So you think it could be a rotor issue? Nuts.

The sound I'm getting is periodic - scrape, scrape, scrape. Changes with speed. Engine revs and brake use make no difference. Absolutely the worst around 20 mph.

If all four wheels had the same problem I don't think the noise would be that specific. It very much sounds and feels like it's coming from the left rear.

I am going to take the car to my local mechanic. I've used him for years and trust him. The sound is driving me nuts and there's got to be a way to fix it.

I'm traveling for the week so I'll take the car in next Friday. I'll come back and post with what I find out.

And thank you again. I used to drive a Toyota MR2 and hung at Spyderchat.com Very helpful. Lot's of good people and information. This place has the same vibe.

Dave

Spoiler alert

Don't suppose you've tried a couple of panic stops to "true things up"? I mean that only partly in jest. If a car has been sitting or babied, that could knock some excess rust off the rotors. Granted, it's a bit tricky to safely arrange the maneuver at this time of year if you're snowed in.
    Since you mentioned the back brakes -- if you have a manual transmission, being a bit of a lunatic with the hand brake might smooth it out too.
    (Not responsible for broken stuff or crashes that may result. XD )
    RPW00Mirage likes this.
    2016 Veloster Rally Edition - Build Thread
    Performance: SXTH Remote Tune, SRI, Shifter Bushings / 60mm TB / Xenon ORHP, ORCP, 3TBS, XPVS / NST Crank & WP pulleys / CNT Catback / Turbosmart Kompact BOV / Tork Boost Solenoid
    Handling: Pierce Rear Torsion Bar / Uniq Rigid Collars / Rev 75A Mount Insert Interior: JCS Pillar Pod / Defi Boost & Volt Gauges
    Exterior: 20% Tint / Hyundai Canada Hood Protector / Molded-in 'Devil' Style Spoiler Misc: Xenon XWEK / Saikou Michi OCC / Cerma Treatments

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

i was just about to suggest that... it's exactly what i've done in the past for cars that sit. find an empty road and hard-stop from 25mph or so. or hold the ebrake up a bit for resistance and drive a few mph.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD! - TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap - Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - DZIII tires

2001 Emerald Green Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods - A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete!

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    i was just about to suggest that... it's exactly what i've done in the past for cars that sit. find an empty road and hard-stop from 25mph or so. or hold the ebrake up a bit for resistance and drive a few mph.
    Try this as it may help. Could be brakes/rotors/calipers/pass or the E brake related. May not require disassembly at all.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links