LED/HID Headlights for 2013 Turbo

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on LED/HID Headlights for 2013 Turbo within the Veloster Electronics forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Which would be considered good? Are they really drop into the existing projector housing, or do I need to retrofit something?...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BURN51D3

Thread: LED/HID Headlights for 2013 Turbo

This user has no status.

Which would be considered good? Are they really drop into the existing projector housing, or do I need to retrofit something?

Super Moderator
    Premium Member
    I got meth...

Lookup diode dynamics... they are a vendor on there
    Veloster Gone.... 2017 FoST added.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by rspec2014 View Post
    Lookup diode dynamics... they are a vendor on there
    Thanks, I'll look it up.

Any input on LED vs HID for headlights ? There are some fairly cheap LED kits out thre ($65 Canadian shipped for example, 30W bulbs)

Also I've seen some people recommend using H11 vs H11B bulbs when going to LED, this is at all something to consider?

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by bananaX View Post
    Thanks, I'll look it up.

Any input on LED vs HID for headlights ? There are some fairly cheap LED kits out thre ($65 Canadian shipped for example, 30W bulbs)

Also I've seen some people recommend using H11 vs H11B bulbs when going to LED, this is at all something to consider?
    I just installed LEDs for low beams and fog lights on my 16 rally. Took me 3 days since I was not full time on it. I would say totally worth it. I took the tedious process to remove front bumper and remove headlight assembly. I know someone was able to do it without bumper removed but it’s tricky as my bumper was really tight. I was happy about the result, the only things I broke were two clips.

As far as for bulb size, the OEM low beam is H11B and fog light is H8. The only replacement LED I could find was H11 that I found no problem to put into existing housing, spin to tighten up and install the back cover as the bulbs have the same base. The only problem was the connector, I ended up buying adapters off amazon and did a little work with black tapes. The same LEDs can replace fog lights as well.

I don’t have any experiences on HID, my research on that was it would not be as easy as plug and play LED bulbs, most likely retrofit is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

I installed LEDs for fogs and low beams this past weekend, loving it. I can't find an answer about heat though. most LED headlights come with a large heat sink. Mine is pretty packed and i was able to get the dust cover back on with some cutting. Will the heat coming off the LED heat sinks cause any damage to the surrounding plastics?

Do(ing) work

Quote Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
    I installed LEDs for fogs and low beams this past weekend, loving it. I can't find an answer about heat though. most LED headlights come with a large heat sink. Mine is pretty packed and i was able to get the dust cover back on with some cutting. Will the heat coming off the LED heat sinks cause any damage to the surrounding plastics?
    You'll likely notice issues with the LED headlights before you have issues with the plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by drdzbd View Post
    Took me 3 days since I was not full time on it. I would say totally worth it. I took the tedious process to remove front bumper and remove headlight assembly
    FYI, if you plan on doing much to this car, dropping the front bumper will happen a lot. I'm exaggerating when I say this, but it feels like anything short of an oil change needs the bumper dropped.

On topic:
    Do your research.
    I simply didn't want to shell out the dough for DD's stuff, as I was hoping to spend around $60 (not the cheapest, not the top of the line).
    What I've found out is that the LEDs are likely to perform differently depending on the type of headlight. In other words, some LED headlights look great when used in a projector style headlight (like our low beams). Other's will look great in reflector style headlights (like our fogs & high beams). I didn't really see anything (in my price range at least) that worked in both.
    I ended up with low beam H11s for $50 and H8 foglights for $25 off amazon. Both of them look fantastic.
    Since our high beams are also the running lights, I'm looking for options for that still.

I was able to get the H11s entirely inside the housing, with the dustcap on, with no cutting. They seem to be doing great so far, but it's been winter. Summer (heat) will be the big test. If they fail in the heat, I may have to do some cutting and buy another set, but for $50 I can afford to do that.
    Name:  IMG_20190205_222213_816.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  38.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190329_091532_495.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  1,016.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190209_170650_142.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  442.9 KB
    Incognito and Flareon like this.

Filthy Humans!

I've had the Morimoto relay kit now for three years and it's worked flawlessly. 95% of my driving is in the dark.
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...oto-elite.html
    My VT Thread ~ Here

Do(ing) work

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I've had the Morimoto relay kit now for three years and it's worked flawlessly. 95% of my driving is in the dark.
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...oto-elite.html
    These were some that I looked at. They seem to have a great reputation. I just couldn't take the price tag for headlights...

This user has no status.

I just ordered my HID canbus kit from TRS except mine are H7 bulbs. Does anyone know where I can get an HID bulb adapter that works on our cars so I don’t have to modify my lock ring? It’s a 2016 R-Spec

PLP
    This user has no status.

I know old thread, but so far my experience with LED is quite poor.
    They are getting better, but still not as good as OEM design (that is halogen or HID).

I'd say - for replacing halogen, use HID. LED is still not there. While it may seem great (on paper) the hot spot is not well defined.

Sponsored Links