Steering Wheel Buttons Malfunctioning

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on Steering Wheel Buttons Malfunctioning within the Veloster Electronics forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Odd thing happened today - when I pressed the "volume down" tab on the steering wheel, it acted like I hit the "voice input" button. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jwjulian
  • 1 Post By jpennin1
  • 1 Post By Flareon
  • 1 Post By jpennin1

Thread: Steering Wheel Buttons Malfunctioning

This user has no status.

Odd thing happened today - when I pressed the "volume down" tab on the steering wheel, it acted like I hit the "voice input" button. Also, when I hit the "up" button (next to volume) to change song, it acted like I hit the "mode" button. The "voice input" button didn't function at all when I hit it, but the "mode" button functioned normally...

Hopefully it's nothing major, maybe clean the contacts? Anyone experience this issue?

This user has no status.

My wife’s car (2007 eclipse) got to where the radio would change modes when turning. The radio buttons on all modern airbag wheels connect to the rest of the car via the clock spring. It’s not a very hard repair. But be sure to disconnect the battery for a while before undoing any airbag connections (clockspring)

Let me know if you need help!
    I’ve done several (dozen) of these on cars of all makes.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    13 Veloster Turbo Base AT
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
    My wife’s car (2007 eclipse) got to where the radio would change modes when turning. The radio buttons on all modern airbag wheels connect to the rest of the car via the clock spring. It’s not a very hard repair. But be sure to disconnect the battery for a while before undoing any airbag connections (clockspring)

Let me know if you need help!
    I’ve done several (dozen) of these on cars of all makes.
    Kind of confused - are you saying a new clockspring will remedy this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Yep.
    The clockspring is the method of connection between the buttons and the car. If you’re getting the wrong action from multiple wheel buttons then the clock spring is worn out allowing things to touch that shouldn’t. It can get so bad as to make the radio change settings just by steering.

It is highly unlikely to be anything else.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

Every once in a while my radio station will randomly change a step in the upwards direction. Glad to finally know why that it is.
    2016 DCT in Ultra Black- sxth element dual catch cans, turboxs BOV, SCGW mesh grill, Ark performance wing
    Awaiting installation: sxth element short ram intake, bumper quick release kit

This user has no status.

Yep.
    The clockspring is the method of connection between the buttons and the car. If you’re getting the wrong action from multiple wheel buttons then the clock spring is worn out allowing things to touch that shouldn’t. It can get so bad as to make the radio change settings just by steering.

It is highly unlikely to be anything else.
    Awesome. Thanks so much. I never would've thought that'd be the issue, but it makes total sense. Thanks again
    Flareon likes this.

This user has no status.

I don't think it will be the clockspring.

I had this same problem with my 2013 Turbo while it was still under warranty. My malfunction was with the right side buttons (cruise controls) and it was the same thing. Press one button and another button is activated instead. The dealer replaced the buttons and that fixed the problem. The part used was 96700-2V100 (see this webpage)

I'm now having the problem starting on the left side buttons (radio controls). I'm expecting having to replace those buttons now. I think there's some flaw in the buttons that is causing these problems.
    Flareon likes this.

This user has no status.

Looks like this part is for the left side controls (the volume controls) like OP (and I) am having trouble with. I might first take the control out and see if it can be repaired in any way. It might just need some contact cleaner shot in the switches.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by jpennin1 View Post
    Looks like this part is for the left side controls (the volume controls) like OP (and I) am having trouble with. I might first take the control out and see if it can be repaired in any way. It might just need some contact cleaner shot in the switches.
    The volume and voice controls are on different pods. Which is why I leaned toward clock spring but yes. It could always be something else.
    No diagnosis is 100 percent infallible
    jpennin1 likes this.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

The volume and voice controls are on different pods. Which is why I leaned toward clock spring but yes. It could always be something else.
    No diagnosis is 100 percent infallible
    Yeah. It was weird for me too because it also affected the buttons in the pod below as well. I'm wondering if the buttons on each side are combined electrically somehow. I haven't popped the steering wheel apart yet to check. I'll repost here once I replace the buttons to at least give a testimony if that's what fixes it again on my vehicle.
    Flareon likes this.

Sponsored Links