2nd gen oil change woes

Veloster Turbo Forum

2nd gen oil change woes

This is a discussion on 2nd gen oil change woes within the Veloster Maintenance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Did my first oil change at 2900 miles. It took me 2 friggin hours. The filter was on super tight and was too big for ...

This user has no status.

Angry 2nd gen oil change woes

Did my first oil change at 2900 miles. It took me 2 friggin hours. The filter was on super tight and was too big for my strap-type filter wrench. I had to take off the the plastic undercarriage cover which has has a lot of screws and fasteners so I could get my channel lock style filter wrench on it - which I couldn't get to work either, but my husband got it. I let him have a go before I stabbed the thing through with a long screw driver. Anyway, now I need a new type of oil filter wrench, I guess.

Anyone out there know if this will work on a 2019 VT?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the car on ramps, but it was still a very tight squeeze working under the car which made everything more difficult.

Can I replace the drain plug with one of these? Is this the right size? Anybody tried it?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMXAUWC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Any tips to get this down to a more reasonable .5 hour?

This user has no status.

The first oil change can be a pain due to the filter being on tight. After the first filter change you should be able to remove them after that by hand. The proper tools for the job make things much easier. Working smarter not harder is the idea. Do some searching here and you will find some answers. Do not worry about the time it takes to do the oil change. Focus more on doing it correctly and using the proper oil, filter, and change intervals.....
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

i've had great luck in the past with the fumoto oil drain valves.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD! - TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap - Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - DZIII tires

2001 Emerald Green Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods - A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Veloster like a roadster

Those adjustable filter wrenches are infuriating. Never have found a job were it would work. The filter cap wrench is the best way to go. I took my filter up to the autoparts store and tested each one until I found one that fit. I have never seen someone use a drain valve before.

On my VT, the oil filter leaks oil unless I tighten it up with a wrench. Hand tightening doesn't get it tight enough. Anyone else experience that?
    100% Stock. Original Rods. 74k miles
    Accessories: Bell roof rack, Whistler radar detector, Cheap dashcam, 2 Graco carseats, Baby on Board sticker, EZ Drain oil valve, quick release bumper clips.
    Future Plans: When its paid off which coincides with the warranty being up: Set of Winter and Summer tires each on separate rims, exhaust, intake, BOV.
    Maintenance: 5w30 Full Synthetic Dexos 2 Castrol GTX MAGNATEC. Change every 3,000 miles and fill up with Regular gasoline.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
    Those adjustable filter wrenches are infuriating. Never have found a job were it would work. The filter cap wrench is the best way to go. I took my filter up to the autoparts store and tested each one until I found one that fit. I have never seen someone use a drain valve before.

On my VT, the oil filter leaks oil unless I tighten it up with a wrench. Hand tightening doesn't get it tight enough. Anyone else experience that?
    Which kind of adjustable oil wrenches are you talking about? These?
    https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Remov...51-spons&psc=1

This one is my favorite, but I can't use it on the 19 VT with the bottom plastic shield on. This is what got it off yesterday. I did use it to tighten a bit (my hands are pretty weak so I know I can't get it sufficiently tight by hand)
    https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-inch-F...ateway&sr=8-22

I got down and dabbed at the plug and filter with a clean paper towel - no leaks. Ready for my weekend road trip.

This user has no status.

Me too

I've had both problems described in this thread - my 1st change (used car), the filter was cemented on. I had the wrap around filter wrench and the cap type but neither would grab it. It is made worse by the awkward angle to access the filter. I had my car on one jack stand and i gave up pretty quickly trying to find all the screws for the stupid plastic shield that makes access to the filter difficult. I decided against getting a full size splitter because it would have to be removed every time i changed the oil. I ended up buying a SureBilt Oil Filter Wrench from Autozone that spikes the filter in order to get it off.

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...ers/141500_0_0

I tightened it as much as I could by hand, which is the way I've done all my cars, and it started leaking in my driveway so I've since had to tighten it. The K &N filters have a place to wrench off the filter on the bottom so that makes them much easier to loosen:

Name:  performance_gold-th.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.0 KB
    Last edited by SHKINBK; 04-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    SOLD 2013 VT Marathon Blue Pearl, Manual 6-Speed, Ultimate Package
    Injen Intake, Pierce Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Weight Reduction, TORK Dyno Tune (219whp w/tune before downpipe). 14.72 @ 98.74 mph.

2016 Veloster Turbo Rally Edition

6th Element FMIC
    6th Element Intake
    6th Element Catch Can
    6th Element Stainless braided PTFE Fuel Line
    6th Element Catted Downpipe
    HKS M45XL Spark Plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    TORK OBD2 1.5 Tune

patch the roads please

Are you cleaning the oil filter flange on the engine, and applying a thin film of fresh oil to the filter seal?

I have done the last several on my girls VT and it NEVER leaks, and i do not crank em beyond what i can do by hand, as if its a clean surface you never need to.
    GF's 15 VT - 2 warranty trips - now out of warranty.
    61,500 miles - Failed purge valve!

Sponsored Links