Laminar flow discussion

Veloster Turbo Forum

Laminar flow discussion

This is a discussion on Laminar flow discussion within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; With the installation of my new SS turbo comes new and unknown territory as to its capacity to draw in and conversely evacuate its exhaust. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Laminar flow discussion

Banned
    Could not take instruction.

Laminar flow discussion

With the installation of my new SS turbo comes new and unknown territory as to its capacity to draw in and conversely evacuate its exhaust. The efficiency of this device far exceeds the stock Borg Warner.

In preparation for this installation, the wisdom of a full 3 inch exhaust, and a completely open CF hood will enhance these properties.
    In both the ability to draw cool fresh air unrestricted, and conversley dump exhaust gases more efficiently.

Regardless of intake (air) or exhaust, the desired principles of Laminar flow are to be applied.
    Much reading on the topics thus far has yielded thew following general concepts in terms of accentuating positive laminar flow:

1. Distance traveled whether intake or exhaust. (As short as possible)
    2. Diameter of conduit. Larger is always better.
    3. Cross--section (lateral)of conduit relative to concentric rings of travel and their speed.
    4. Avoiding bends if possible, reduce the degree as much as possible. i.e. 45 degrees is much more desirable than a 90 degree
    5. Never forcing a combination of a bend as well as a diameter reduction in the same location. ex. One should never have a reduction in the middle of a bend.
    6. Reductions in diameter if done in slight increments, in succession can result in increased pressure and speed (of central concentric rings).

So the working group idea is an invitation to any of you that are:
    1, Actual engineers of any discipline
    2. HVAC guys
    3. Plumbers,...since air and exhaust gases are considered "liquid" in properties reference Laminar flow.
    4. Machinist
    5 Just plain experienced and innovative.

Banned

First impressions

The biggest changes I can make on my VT intake wise come from my SoCal CF hood. I have no less than 7 big functional vents. The hood itself has done more for sheer IATS than anything so far.
    Heat is no longer a concern on my engine deck
    Gone is the necessity for me to funnel a long restrictive anything to get a cool fresh air. With this in mind I am goin to really shorten the total intake. Maybe If I can finagle it lose the 90 bend and turn it into a 45.

TORK is really curious on this one, all the principles are there for a real improvement.

Some things are just realities,..like the cast intake mani going to the turbo.

Highlights:

Inatke is capped off by Weapon-r or a Spectre.. both are open ended. both are 6 inches in diameter.

-Aluminium velocity stak 6 inch goes gracefully into 4.
    -A straight section of 4 into a reduction to 3.5
    -3.5 into cast system

Possibilities,....to reduce the bend into a 45 instead of a 90. This would be big.

Name:  2015-10-31-20-12-10.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  447.6 KB

******Jeez,...you know how loud my SS turbo spool will be?!
    Last edited by Gaijiin; 10-31-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Only got a gallon in the gas
    tank, but I'm almost at the
    finish line, so I can't stop
    now.

Do you have clearance to route that directly to the grill?

And the only other question I have is how beneficial is a 3" exhaust? A couple of the exhaust techs I have spoken to have stated that 2.5" should be more than adequate for outputs up to about 375 wkw.
    Last edited by 999RXerox; 10-31-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Proudly using parts / services by:
    6th Element Engineering, 845 Motorsports, BC Racing, Diode Dynamics, Essendon Hyundai, Final Inspection, Glow Shift, Jun BL, K-Sport, NST Pulleys, Pierce Motorsports, Morimoto, Non Stop Tuning, Pro Flow, Race Ramps, Rajab Racing Developments, Rockford Fosgate, Roll Control, So Cal Garage Works, Synapse, Tippett Auto Design, Tork Motorsports, XKGlow

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 999RXerox View Post

And the only other question I have is how beneficial is a 3" exhaust? A couple of the exhaust techs I have spoken to have stated that 2.5" should be more than adequate for outputs up to about 375 wkw.
    Above it is open. The grille is no longer the only ingress.

The capacity of the SS is unknown.

This user has no status.

@Gaijiin: I will be working on an intake you may be interested in.....
    Imagine an intake that bolts to the turbo of the largest possible diameter tubing, with the largest possible bend radii, minimal bends and bend degrees, using maximal filter size, drawing air from under hood or pressurized from duct obtaining outside air. Also with minimal temperature gains from ambient to turbo inlet.
    This will be a reality, just need to get other things out of the way first.
    Your turbo flow is puny compared to what I have experience with.....
    Also 3" exhaust will be a must unless you have a cutout or it is really short. If full length you may even want to consider 3.5". But for weight reasons I'd go 3" and use a cutout as close to the turbo as possible if you really pushing the turbo hard. You will likely not need more than 3" on your build though since stock internals will be used.....

Banned

Sounds good,..except for the ducting.

Unless its like huge.
    Last edited by Gaijiin; 11-01-2015 at 08:59 AM.

This user has no status.

Huge is relative.....
    If you have not done so already, do some research on functional ram air benefits of intake tract being under pressure vs in vac. Then apply that to a turbo application.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Huge is relative.....
    If you have not done so already, do some research on functional ram air benefits of intake tract being under pressure vs in vac. Then apply that to a turbo application.....
    Yeah,..thats principle 6. But its not exclusive to a literal RAM air scoop per se.

I still have a major grille re-design coming with TORK fmic.............

@Captain_Hyundai

Quote Originally Posted by 999RXerox View Post

I have this done already with the velosity stack and filter from Blox. You would need to get a pierce crash bar and FMIC to accomplish this as the stock crash beam and intercooler are in the way.

Anyone remember this blast from the past?
    Name:  intake 009.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  1.79 MBName:  intake 005.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  1.97 MBName:  intake 006.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  1.73 MB

@Captain_Hyundai

I think if you relocate the battery you may be able to get close on a 45..
    gsrdude likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links