VT intercoolers and how they compare

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on VT intercoolers and how they compare within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; With several intercooler options available for the VT I figured a comparison is in order so one knows what they're getting..... First and foremost an ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: VT intercoolers and how they compare

This user has no status.

With several intercooler options available for the VT I figured a comparison is in order so one knows what they're getting.....

First and foremost an intercooler affects power in 3 ways, flow, pressure drop, and heat dissipation. Let me go over each of these briefly.....

Flow(CFM):
    This is the most critical for power production. Without good flow, power will be limited. In an intercooler the main things that limit flow are smaller inside diameter inlet/outlet, tanks with non-fluid designs, internal fin type and higher density, smaller charge air row area, and longer core length. All of these play a role in flow in different ways.
    Flow gains is how most power is made when upgrading an intercooler in most cases.

Pressure drop:
    This is defined by the pressure at the inlet minus the pressure at the outlet. Since the intercooler will always have some restriction, a pressure differential will be present. The lower number the better the flow of the intercooler. Higher number means lower intercooler flow. This phenomenon tends to effect the pressure ratio of the turbo compressor the most and can dictate the max psi that can be ran and power that can be made.

Heat dissipation:
    The main reason the intercooler is there is to drop charge air temperature/IATs to a level where the engine can operate under optimal conditions to produce power as efficiently as it can. While many marketing ploys are to draw people in based on temperature drops of an intercooler, this is not where much power is gained. Generally a 10°F drop is good for 1% power gains.

Now let's list some pros/cons of fmic vs oem/oem design intercoolers:

Oem/oem design
    :

Shorter core length means less flow restriction. Trade off is less heat dissipation capacity and higher IATs. Compact design that is light which heat soaks quick but cools down quick as well.

FMIC:

Longer core means more flow restriction. More heat dissipation and lower IATs. Larger overall unit adding weight which means it takes longer to heat soak as well as cool down. Also blocks air from the radiator which could cause engine cooling issues under the right conditions.

Based on intercooler flow from what I've tested this is how the intercoolers compare on my flow rig: low numbers = bad, high numbers = good

Oem: 142 CFM
    845 upgraded core: 147 CFM
    Modified Oem: 173 CFM
    SXTH: 185 CFM
    ORIC: 227 CFM

Cooling wise worst to best they should line up like this:

Oem, modified oem, ORIC, 845, SXTH

I'll add more info and details as needed later..... ;-)
    Last edited by trdtoy; 12-09-2016 at 11:27 PM.

This user has no status.

The mythical SXTH has been tested?!? Haven't even seen a CAD of it yet!

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by MA1tR!X View Post
    The mythical SXTH has been tested?!? Haven't even seen a CAD of it yet!
    Trust me, I was honored for mark to let me lay my hands on it to test. Having his permission to post the results also says that he's not "skeerd!"
    Bigbird and orbeavhawk like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

If you love something set it
    free, unless it's a tiger

If high numbers = good, how come ORIC is in the middle of the worst to best lineup?
    '14 VT A/T
    UNIQ Strut Bar/Collars || H9/H8 LED 6000K Low/Fog || Chrome Turn Bulbs (White FR, Amber R) || Tint || White LED int/ext || TTR Low Engine Mount || SCGW F/R tow hook || TS 3.5" Intake || Tork Tuned || PMS Torsion Bar/4pt Brace/HF DP || CNT Exhaust || Saikou Michi OCC's || X ORHP, 3TBS, XWEK || Synapse DV Kit || Coolant Bypass || Pandafab Solenoid || PUP || Amsoil Coolant || HKS M45XL Sparks || Exhaust Hangers || SXTH Fuel Line || Tork EBCS
    Not Installed: NST Crank/WP Pulley || ORCP

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fastswimmerguy View Post
    If high numbers = good, how come ORIC is in the middle of the worst to best lineup?
    Falls in the middle in order of how much heat it dissipates but #1 in flow.....

If you love something set it
    free, unless it's a tiger

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Falls in the middle in order of how much heat it dissipates but #1 in flow.....
    Is there any way to improve the heat dissipate issue of the ORIC with a thermal coating or something?
    '14 VT A/T
    UNIQ Strut Bar/Collars || H9/H8 LED 6000K Low/Fog || Chrome Turn Bulbs (White FR, Amber R) || Tint || White LED int/ext || TTR Low Engine Mount || SCGW F/R tow hook || TS 3.5" Intake || Tork Tuned || PMS Torsion Bar/4pt Brace/HF DP || CNT Exhaust || Saikou Michi OCC's || X ORHP, 3TBS, XWEK || Synapse DV Kit || Coolant Bypass || Pandafab Solenoid || PUP || Amsoil Coolant || HKS M45XL Sparks || Exhaust Hangers || SXTH Fuel Line || Tork EBCS
    Not Installed: NST Crank/WP Pulley || ORCP

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by fastswimmerguy View Post
    Is there any way to improve the heat dissipate issue of the ORIC with a thermal coating or something?
    The heat dissipation of ORIC V1 will be much improved with V2 that's in development now. Coating could be done however the issue was due to core thickness and air not being able to pass through the core to cool the charge air like the thinner cores in comparison.....

Better to be smarter than you
    look then look smarter than
    you are.

Once again these CFM figures are baseless without including an airspeed or inches of vacuum.
    I will explain in layman's terms. leaving your barn door open on a day with a gentle breeze blowing @2mph to stay cool is a whole lot different than leaving it open during a @200mph tornado and getting blown out of the barn.

So CFM (flow) @ a given orifice (or Pipe size) is directly proportional to air speed.

Zapp
    Last edited by Zapper; 12-10-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    BlackVeloster likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
    Once again these CFM figures are baseless without including an airspeed or inches of vacuum.
    I will explain in layman's terms. leaving your barn door open on a day with a gentle breeze blowing @2mph to stay cool is a whole lot different than leaving it open during a @200mph tornado and getting blown out of the barn.

So CFM (flow) @ a given orifice (or Pipe size) is directly proportional to air speed.

Zapp
    They are not baseless at all.....

I'm measuring CFM that is calculated by my anemometer drawing air through an orifice that is the same size for each test.....

My rig measures CFM at certain power requirement to turn the compressor vs at a certain pressure.....

I mean heck, this is a hobby for me making these parts and testing yet no one I know of in VT parts land is doing this in any form.....
    orbeavhawk likes this.

Premium Member
    It's a trap!

They are only baseless if you are comparing his figures to a different vendors tests. Then knowing specifics of the test would become far more important, but if you got to any of the vendors they never include the specifics of their tests.
    - Jon

GONE Black VT, MT w/ Ultimate click for build thread! GONE

||| || | |||| | ||| ||||| | || ||| ||||| || |||
    Made by Hyundai / Derailed by Swordfish

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links