VT hot pipes and how they compare - Page 4

Veloster Turbo Forum

VT hot pipes and how they compare

This is a discussion on VT hot pipes and how they compare within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by E9C900A Before meaning with the factory hot pipe? Yes. Compare to the factory hot pipe, the SXTH did not add any boost ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: VT hot pipes and how they compare

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by E9C900A View Post
    Before meaning with the factory hot pipe?
    Yes. Compare to the factory hot pipe, the SXTH did not add any boost pressure. But it does spool quicker

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2016 Vitamin C VT w/ MT.

Mods: Dual OCCs, DIY SRI, disabled upper clutch switch, 60mm TB with 4TBS; Xe ORCP and coolant bypass, SXTH hot pipe, MAP/IAT Sensor Upgrade, MBRP Catback Exhaust

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Clw View Post
    I just switched from the orhp v1 to the sxth hot pipe. I'm completely blown away by the loss in boost pressure. I was hitting 20-21psi at WOT with the orhp v1. With the sxth hot pipe I am peaking at 17-18psi. The only other changes I've made are replacing the thermostat with the 160* and changing out the coolant to amsoil hd. All done at the same time. You mentioned some disruption of flow because of the larger pipe but it's hard to believe it makes that much of a difference!! I'm seriously considering going back to the ____________________________________________
    2013 VT Manual
    Magnaflow catback exhaust
    Pierce hf catted dp
    6EE SRI
    6EE tune
    6EE Hot pipe
    Tork fuel line upgrade
    Amsoil hd coolant
    160* thermostat
    XE ORCP
    XE 4TBS
    XWEK
    Map sensor upgrade
    ADD W1 Catch can for pcv
    Forge BOV
    Turbosmart boost gauge
    Pierce torsion bar
    Rigid collars
    TWM shifter bushings
    Diode Dynamics 6000k hid headlights
    JDM Astar led fog lights
    Performance auto styling vinyl tint rear deflectors and headlights
    Keep in mind psi does not always equal power. Look at absolute load here as well. With setup like yours the load at 17-18 psi is likely 205-215%. At 20-21 psi should be around 225-235%.

These pipes make approx same whp gains on the dyno thus will have very similar flow. So that is NOT the issue.

***If you were making 20-21 before and since The mods you're peaking at 17-18 I'd say pull was with ECT low causing 85% charge or a boost leak.***

Iats could cause a psi swing like this but DOUBTFUL as that would be a huge difference.

*****Get engine coolant temps into the 170's then make a 3rd gear pull to see what the numbers do. If indeed lower than the tune should make then it will be a boost leak.*****
    Clw likes this.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

So I'll show my ignorance here and let you guys educate me on this. Monitoring boost pressure, what would I look for to see if I had a boost leak? Like I previously mentioned, the new hot pipe and coupler lined up at a slight angle so the seal may not be perfect.
    My peak boosts are the same as before but I never checked for consistency before the hot pipe. I thought I had a possible leak the other day until I did some reading because when my boost reached 15psi, I held the rpms constant and the boost drops to about 3psi. The reading I did said that the boost will increase/decrease based on engine load and not rpm.
    Like I said, I would love some education on this since I'm new at monitoring things using my Ultragauge

Last edited by tobs54; 05-31-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    2016 Vitamin C VT w/ MT.

Mods: Dual OCCs, DIY SRI, disabled upper clutch switch, 60mm TB with 4TBS; Xe ORCP and coolant bypass, SXTH hot pipe, MAP/IAT Sensor Upgrade, MBRP Catback Exhaust

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by tobs54 View Post
    So I'll show my ignorance here and let you guys educate me on this. Monitoring boost pressure, what would I look for to see it I had a boost leak? Like I previously mentioned, the new hot pipe and couple lined up at a slight angle so the seal may not be perfect.
    My peak boosts are the same as before but I never checked for consistency before the hot pipe. I thought I had a possible leak the other day until I did some reading because when my boost reached 15psi, I held the rpms constant and the boost drops to about 3psi. The reading I did said that the boost will increase/decrease based in engine load and not rpm.
    Like I said, I would love some education on this since I'm new at monitoring things using my Ultragauge

A boost leak will be found much easier by pressure testing the charge side components than by and odb2 reader. And found easier by something that can data log than something you can only monitor with if you refuse to pressure test. And once you can data log it's still pointless unless you know normal baseline parameters for the car and given mods.....
    '15 Auto VT

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

Clw
    This user has no status.

@trdtoy Per X's suggestion I did two pulls around the same time in the same spot with the two different hot pipes. With the xe orhp I logged 221% absolute load, 19.72psi @5800 rpm WOT in 3rd gear. After switching to the sxth hot pipe and resetting the ecm I logged 196% absolute load, 16.75psi @5800 rpm WOT in 3rd gear. Crazy!!

This user has no status.

VT hot pipes and how they compare

To confirm, I suggested that the ECM be reset after each installation (hence, before each WOT pull), so minimal adaptation/skewing occurred.

TqP log visualizations (via datazap) for each pull would be nice to see. Hopefully the fluid, intake and ambient temperatures were within 0-3% deviation between runs.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 06-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Clw View Post
    @trdtoy Per X's suggestion I did two pulls around the same time in the same spot with the two different hot pipes. With the xe orhp I logged 221% absolute load, 19.72psi @5800 rpm WOT in 3rd gear. After switching to the sxth hot pipe and resetting the ecm I logged 196% absolute load, 16.75psi @5800 rpm WOT in 3rd gear. Crazy!!
    That's a large variance in load and boost from the part being compared. Test was likely not done under the same operating parameters in the ecu.
    '15 Auto VT

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

I’m guessing the first run was without the ecu reset.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf View Post
    I’m guessing the first run was without the ecu reset.
    I explicitly advised to reset the ECM before each pull, but he would have to confirm that. Either way, he had been running the SXTH HP for about 80-100 miles before swapping to the ORHP to do the test.

This user has no status.

after reading here again the other day I couldn't remember if I reset my ECU or not (I would have sworn I did), so I did it again. I'm going to say I didn't because since doing it, the car definitely has more pep, and I'm getting about 3 mpg better mileage now on the same trips back and forth to work with the same driving style.
    2016 Vitamin C VT w/ MT.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links