Veloster Turbo Forum banner

First Performance mod?

29K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  kcvt 
#1 ·
Upon purchasing a new Veloster Turbo, what would be the first mod you'd do to it?

With every car I've bought, I usually always try removing intake silencers and go for a freer flowing air filter (K&N, etc)

Honestly, this is not an all out performance car, but Hyundai has done amazing things to squeeze out some decent power, and I believe it's tuned to run well on 87 octane gas. Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Well they have stated that the block can handle 18lbs and is coming out at 8lbs if boost so I cant wait to see what happens first for some.. Definitely gotta make this thing growl first off...

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
A wideband will DEFINITELY NOT be my first mod..

there is no point unless you are upping the boost or tuning it.. To my knowledge you wont even be able to wire in a piggyback to do any tuning with the GDi.

Also, I thought I had read the turbo will be pushing out 18lbs, not that the motor could handle it. If it were pushing 8lbs, they would have used a smaller turbo.

Being a turbo motor common sense would assume the motor can withstand a significant power boost without opening the motor up.

The thing to overcome will be the electronic wastegate and tuning. I believe that boost IS limited in at least 1st and 2nd gear. IF the EWG can be figured out or bypassed to have the same boost in every gear along with upping the boost, the car should be much more fun. At this point, you would want a wideband.

Injectors in the car are probably close to peak flow but will probably be able to get a little more out of them. Combine that with OEM conservative tuning and with a flash, we should be able to get another 30hp and more fun drive ability out of the car, not to mention more economy off-boost.

I will be doing a custom CAI, custom FMIC setup, boost gauge and replace some exhaust parts for a freeier flowing system.

Then will come a bit lighter set of wheels to reduce unsprung weight.

#16 ·
well id love to see how well the warranty for hyundai will back any mods.
wideband gauge
unless you loosing you cat , changing the factory tune your not going to need to monitor the AFR.
Probably the first mod of anyone planning to mod the VT. Open element/ cone filter to hear the turbo more mostly.
probably the most bang for your buck performance wise but Bye Bye nice warranty.
sleek stock exhaust mabye upgrading the to 3" and loosing the cat. good performance.
increassing boost
part of tuning but i doubt running 18psi on a unbuilt engine going last long. might as well make the Blown motor sticky already.
honslty id wait on the custom parts and what id like to see is great venders like ETS,AMS,COBB,etc come out with.

#18 ·
My first mod will be claying my car and then adding nano-fusion protection onto my hood, fenders and mirrors...then tinting 35% front windows, 20% back and rear windows...then will add in the Diode Dynamics interior lighting, follow by getting replacing the headlights with Oscam Nightbreakers...

#20 ·
this will be one car that I will NOT be planning on cracking open the engine or anything major because of the warranty. Bolt-ons and keeping the stock stuff in storage will prevent me from having any warranty issues.. I will just have to really resist temptation when a tune is available....

#23 ·
Hyundai will DEFINITELY NOT be offering any staged kits for the car. They don't even have a performance division, much less any oem aftermarket support in the states.

I would start planning some other way to tackle it.. With bolt ons, you are still going to be pretty safe from issues with warranty claims since they have to prove the modification caused whatever failure you may have. The biggest piece of advice if you do use bolt ons though and have issues, install the STOCK intake system BEFORE you take it to the dealer for a claim.

If you have engine issues, it will be EASY for them to point fingers at the aftermarket filter/system sucking something in and causing damage.

It will be much harder for them to place them blame on your aftermarket springs/exhaust, etc. for causing engine issues.. LOL..

Things to stay away from if you are worried about warranty also are anything tuning related.. The minute you take out/flash your ECM they will probably be able to figure out that it was modified.

Stick to basic bolt ons, weight reduction and suspension and you will be ok as far as warranty's go.

#26 ·
I heard that too...in USA they are coming out with performance parts for Veloster cars.

Will installing Oil Catch Can void the warranty or not ?

#35 ·
I personally do not like the adjustable type bars as shown in the link. I will be getting the Top Stop bar/Importshark bar off ebay as it is probably more rigid than the linked bar.

I don't get what the fuss about obstructing the brake fluid reservoir is.. When I do my brakes, all I need to do is remove the bar in less than 10 minutes... LOL..

I won't be racing either, but for the 92$ the Top Stop bar is, it will look good and perform well around any moderate cornering.

I had a 15$ crappy ebay bar on my '01 turbo tib and I noticed a nice difference in the corners. It makes the car feel more solid around any corner. definitely worth it for any driving enthusiast in my opinion.

The luxon bar is AWESOME, but I would never spend that much money on something unless I actually was racing. The 'performance' difference between a semi-rigid and rigid bar in daily spirited driving are negligible..

I know some people will argue the theory, but in the REAL WORLD, its hard to justify 3X the price. For the person with deep pockets wanting the best of the best the Luxon will always win..

I would rather have a well performing strut bar AND a set of lowering springs for the price of one strut bar.

#37 ·
the car does not come with HIDs but does have projectors. HIDs will be one of my first mods also. I just have to confirm with the NA V guys that HIDs typically work easily with the electrical system and without flickering.

don't bother with a real HKS BOV. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a synapse BOV. Speaking of a BOV, I am hoping that the Gencoupe adapter works on the Vturbo so I can use that for my BOV.

I will also be making my own SRI or CAI.. for the exhaust, I wouldn't bother doing the full catback. I would just remove/upgrade the muffler and remove the resonator. Should provide plenty of flow for the turbo as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.