Pierce DP installed - Few questions

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on Pierce DP installed - Few questions within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; I finally got my Pierce budget DP installed. and Just replaced my coils and plugs (not performance plugs..) The power increase wasn't as noticeable as ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pierce DP installed - Few questions

This user has no status.

I finally got my Pierce budget DP installed. and Just replaced my coils and plugs (not performance plugs..) The power increase wasn't as noticeable as I was hoping (maybe the ECU needs to learn more?), but it definitely gets through the gears faster, and the acceleration in partial throttle is much smoother; She feels much more willing to go. Few questions

-HOT PIPE? : Being that the DP mod didn't make too much of a difference is it worth it for me to get a hot pipe upgrade, or is my ECU holding things back and I am in a need of a tune. I was planning as the hot pipe for my next power mod, but if the stock ECU is just gonna retard things to where it doesn't improve much, then I may just focus on the suspension. The popular dyno out here is expensive. It'll be a G just for a tune.

-Smell: All you running catless downpipes, does the exhaust fumes get a little better (i've only had it on a day, and driven twice)? At idle with the windows down I can def smell the fumes, which I expected, but it's almost worse than my 280z lol.
    2014 A/T VT:

Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake (Gold Taped) | ORCP (Gold Taped) | ORHP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | 75A Mounts | WGA Adjusted | Rigid Collars | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Splash of flex fuel | HKS 45XL | **RN-TUNED**

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

The restrictive factory exhaust elbow is doing its job; holding it back.

This user has no status.

You think it's worth it to get a Hot pipe? Or will it just heat soak the stock IC faster and be a wash?
    2014 A/T VT:

Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake (Gold Taped) | ORCP (Gold Taped) | ORHP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | 75A Mounts | WGA Adjusted | Rigid Collars | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Splash of flex fuel | HKS 45XL | **RN-TUNED**

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Only if it’s an Xe ORHP but they’re not being made last I heard. Have to find a used one.

This user has no status.

Was looking at sxth element's peice. Love their SRI.
    2014 A/T VT:

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Xe’s finned version sheds the most heat.

This user has no status.

Be sure you have a good heat range 9 plug in it. Be sure coils are 100% correct replacement as I have heard a lot of guys replacing with old VT coils or NAV coils.

I have hot pipes in all conditions depending on what you may want. Let me know. They're good for 7-8 whp or so.

Tune does not require a dyno so scrap that cost. Dyno only needed to refine the power curve and be sure you're at a safe power level for the given engine and mods.

What engine do you have anyway in your 14, weak or strong internals? What heat range plugs came in it? Build date of car? Where are you located?

Smell is what it is and will not get better. Just be sure no leaks in the exhaust and it will be the best it's going to be.

Remember to reset the ECU after the mods that you did for better results. Also use premium fuel, fuel with some E in it, and be sure plugs are gapped the same and at or little tighter than .028".
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Isn't a heat range 9 too high running the factory tune?

How much are you selling used hot pipes for?

Also what time frame had the stronger internals, I can find that out. Was there a particular reason you asked this (should I look out for or be weary of certain upgrades if I have "weak" internals). Thanks again.

I'm in Phoenix AZ
    2014 A/T VT:

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Heat range 8 is good for stock tune but 9 will be needed for a tune or good for the climate you're in.

I have a few pipes laying around. PM me for details.

Early 14 had weak and late 14 had stronger internals. Heat range 6 vs 7 OEM plugs was a good indicator on which motor you have. Power will need to be limited and more precaution taken with the weaker internals engines.

Phoenix is no biggie for a tune. I know a guy out there tuned on E60 fuel right now that could take all the eurocharged VT's ;-)
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

If it aint broke, fix it until
    it is

smell wont get better... learn to keep the recirc on. Drives my wife nuts but I've gotten used to it... I hear it gets better if you get an aftermarket exhaust with pipes that extend past the bumper fascia.

I'd recommend the hot pipe, I did my hot pipe before DP and noticed more responsive turbo spool. It is probably worth noting that you are correct in the assessment that the ECU retards many of the gains you can get from bolt on's. but I have quite a few bolt ons and STILL rocking stock tune and I am putting about 200 HP to the wheels which means the car does see gains from boltons without tune. That said, just get a tune!! Lots of cats can help with a tune.
    2016 VT DCT - Tech Package with a few factory extras

K&N Drop in Filter in Modified OEM Air Box | 3.5" Silicone Intake Tube | Cheap BOV | PCV OCC to AOS | Vented Crank Recirc | PUP 5w30 & Magnetic Oil Plug | 60mm TB with ORCP & Coolant Bypass | Coated ORHP | XWEK | 84400 MAP Sensor | 3TBS | Front Strut Bar and PMS Rear Torsion Bar | Torqon Rigid Collars | XPVS | Coated Catless DP (TXE + PMS Street DP w/ 90* bung) | AEM Meth Injection | ORIC v1

Click Here for build thread and pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links