Combating HIGH IATs - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

Combating HIGH IATs

This is a discussion on Combating HIGH IATs within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by MircFSC No, I got the cheapo DP cuz I was afraid I might bust a stud lol So I guess wrapping is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Combating HIGH IATs

Super Moderator
    Premium Member
    I got meth...

Quote Originally Posted by MircFSC View Post
    No, I got the cheapo DP cuz I was afraid I might bust a stud lol So I guess wrapping is useless when it comes to lowering engine bay temp.

I Plan on getting the AEM kit at the end of the year at latest. I read a few threads stating that our cars like 100% meth, and anything lower will hinder performance. You run wiper fluid and heet; ratio? Where did you position your resevoir?
    You an get a tap for the stock fluid reservoir... dont worry about 100% meth... its pretty dangerous to run. Devils Own makes metal tank taps that even have a built in screen.
    Veloster Gone.... 2017 FoST added.

This user has no status.

40-50%. 3-gallon tank in hatch.

100% is not really necessary if you’re not chasing power numbers. 50/50 is fine; the water will reduce pre-ignition risk while the alcohol will reduce the detonation risk.

alg
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Distilled water, water wetter, and just enough coolant to not freeze during coldest weather the car will see. TB and manifold coolant bypass. Remove engine cover to let heat escape from the engine easier. Also allows the coils to function better and last longer not being as hot which will help prevent knock/misfires.
    Oh, this is interesting. All the time here on the .org and never saw the coolant suggestion.

I live in Central Texas, so I need to do some of these things or the VT gets heat sinked when it gest above 90f.

To be clear, you are suggesting to replace the stock coolant/water with just distilled water, water wetter, and a little coolant based on your area.
    And if it almost never freezes, then maybe 25% coolant is ok or would you suggest more/less?

The links to the TB and manifold bypass no longer work, but the concept makes sense.
    Assume the bypass is to take coolant hoses off TB and manifold and connect line/loop with a fitting of some type?

All makes good sense. Thanks for the info.
    2016 Veloster Turbo MT
    Hesitation Package, Bad Hyundai Dealer Package,
    Disintegrating Interior Package
    Mods:
    Odor management system: Royal Pine, XMas Tree
    Disaster Package: Hyundai spare tire
    Tork Motorsports Short Shifter
    Tork Motorsports Boost Solenoid
    Tork Motorsports Tune
    ONLY 1 small Tork Motorsports sticker. Just 1, and it was green.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by alg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Distilled water, water wetter, and just enough coolant to not freeze during coldest weather the car will see. TB and manifold coolant bypass. Remove engine cover to let heat escape from the engine easier. Also allows the coils to function better and last longer not being as hot which will help prevent knock/misfires.
    Oh, this is interesting. All the time here on the .org and never saw the coolant suggestion.

I live in Central Texas, so I need to do some of these things or the VT gets heat sinked when it gest above 90f.

To be clear, you are suggesting to replace the stock coolant/water with just distilled water, water wetter, and a little coolant based on your area.
    And if it almost never freezes, then maybe 25% coolant is ok or would you suggest more/less?

The links to the TB and manifold bypass no longer work, but the concept makes sense.
    Assume the bypass is to take coolant hoses off TB and manifold and connect line/loop with a fitting of some type?

Pop on a 160 thermostat as well. My temps have been great, but we'll see how summer looks lol

After popping the faux hood vents, placing my hand above them: lots of heat! So when though they're ugly without em on, I'd say they're well worth it. I'm too cheap to purchasing functional vents... But might have to cuz it's such an eye sore.

Even the area where the rear weather strip was displaced allot of heat, so that too I'd say is worth it.

Still gotta wrap my coolant hoses this weekend.

Speaking with TRD about a trans cooler as well. Gonna see how temps look in the summer. I'm being extra precautious now that I'm at 100k (wish I knew these things sooner).
    2014 A/T VT:

Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake (Gold Taped) | ORCP (Gold Taped) | ORHP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | 75A Mounts | WGA Adjusted | Rigid Collars | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Splash of flex fuel | HKS 45XL | **RN-TUNED**

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by alg View Post

Cars I do any thermostat swaps or coolant changes on get flushed with distilled water a couple times first. Then filled with bottle of water wetter, gallon of 50/50 coolant, topped off with distilled water. This is good for most VT. Extremely cold areas will need more coolant but if it never freezes where you take your VT then just distilled water and water wetter works best. You will need a higher psi radiator cap and check coolant levels.

The bypass of both TB and IM is cheap but time consuming. All you need is a length of hose and 2 clamps. But the time it takes will depend on your skill level and tools you have. Not gaining much over just a TB bypass other than being cleaner and less potential areas for coolant leak.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

If it aint broke, fix it until
    it is

It does freeze here in AZ... not much but in the winter we get overnight lows in the 20s. Food for thought.

I've done all of the items mentioned above other than 160 degree tstat.

- Coolant hoses lava wrapped (itchy mother fuckers too!!)
    - Amsoil HD Coolant cut with Hyperlube
    - AEM Injection kit (I run 100% meth becuase racecar)
    - coolant bypass
    - ceramic coated DP
    - I never use the engine cover.
    - intake tube on my car is 100% silicone and carbon fiber so zero heat soak there.

I will say that I put the weatherstrip back on at the top of the hood, I saw zero measurable difference and it made the hood rattle around. I have a 2016 so I do not have the fake vents otherwise I would have cut them open and made them functional. Also, running a premium synthtic oil helps temps as well.

These are all good things...
    2016 VT DCT - Tech Package with a few factory extras

K&N Drop in Filter in Modified OEM Air Box | 3.5" Silicone Intake Tube | Cheap BOV | PCV OCC to AOS | Vented Crank Recirc | PUP 5w30 & Magnetic Oil Plug | 60mm TB with ORCP & Coolant Bypass | Coated ORHP | XWEK | 84400 MAP Sensor | 3TBS | Front Strut Bar and PMS Rear Torsion Bar | Torqon Rigid Collars | XPVS | Coated Catless DP (TXE + PMS Street DP w/ 90* bung) | AEM Meth Injection | ORIC v1

Click Here for build thread and pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links