Combating HIGH IATs

Veloster Turbo Forum

Combating HIGH IATs

This is a discussion on Combating HIGH IATs within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Summer is coming up, and being in the desert (AZ) was wondering what everyone is doing to keep their IATs as low as possible. Other ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Combating HIGH IATs

This user has no status.

Combating HIGH IATs

Summer is coming up, and being in the desert (AZ) was wondering what everyone is doing to keep their IATs as low as possible.

Other than Meth and E85, what are other options to prevent knock? I'll be purchasing a fuel pump soon so I can run a little bit of Flex fuel from now on.

Some questions:
    -I know most of us are running SRIs, but would a CIA be a better option for summer, or period?
    -Engine cover; think it keeps the engine bay cooler with it on vs off?
    -wrapping radiator hoses - big difference? What do you recommend if so?
    -Intercooler - this is last on my plans due to expense and advice from trdtoy (I got weak internal engine), but do larger FMICs make that big a diff when it comes to IATs?
    -hood vents. Does it really make that big a difference? If so I'll just pop em out lol.

Thanks guys
    2014 A/T VT

POWER:
    Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake (Gold Taped) | ORCP (Gold Taped) | ORHP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | WGA Adjusted | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Flex Fuel (E51) | HKS 45XL | **RN-TUNED**

SUSPENSION:
    K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers | PMS 2 point lower tie bar | 75A Mounts | Rigid Collars |

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Combating HIGH IATs

Quote Originally Posted by MircFSC View Post
    Summer is coming up, and being in the desert (AZ) was wondering what everyone is doing to keep their IATs as low as possible.

Other than Meth and E85, what are other options to prevent knock? I'll be purchasing a fuel pump soon so I can run a little bit of Flex fuel from now on.

Some questions:
    -I know most of us are running SRIs, but would a CIA be a better option for summer, or period?
    -Engine cover; think it keeps the engine bay cooler with it on vs off?
    -wrapping radiator hoses - big difference? What do you recommend if so?
    -Intercooler - this is last on my plans due to expense and advice from trdtoy (I got weak internal engine), but do larger FMICs make that big a diff when it comes to IATs?
    -hood vents. Does it really make that big a difference? If so I'll just pop em out lol.
    CAI vs. SRI - depends
    Engine cover - ditch it
    Wrapping coolant hoses - yes, lava wrap
    IC - sure, but WAI is better (see below)
    Hood vents - yes

Water/alcohol injection (WAI) is the most effective way to reduce IATs when hard on the throttle (depends on configuration), plus it adds octane and keeps the internals cleaner. This can stave off the need of an aftermarket intercooler for a long time.

Also, the TB coolant bypass mod (assuming you did this already when upgrading to 60mm TB) is mandatory for IAT reduction.

Better coolant + distilled water (+water wetter additives if coolant is marginal) - Mishimoto Liquid Chill coolant or AMSOIL HD coolant are both great.

How much over ambient are your IATs typically?

This user has no status.
    Quote Originally Posted by E9C900A View Post
    CAI vs. SRI - depends
    Engine cover - ditch it
    Wrapping coolant hoses - yes, lava wrap
    IC - sure, but WAI is better (see below)
    Hood vents - yes

Water/alcohol injection (WAI) is the most effective way to reduce IATs when hard on the throttle (depends on configuration), plus it adds octane and keeps the internals cleaner. This can stave off the need of an aftermarket intercooler for a long time.

Also, the TB coolant bypass mod (assuming you did this already when upgrading to 60mm TB) is mandatory for IAT reduction.

Better coolant + distilled water (+water wetter additives if coolant is marginal) - Mishimoto Liquid Chill coolant or AMSOIL HD coolant are both great.

How much over ambient are your IATs typically?
    Thanks X.

My IATs are usually 10-15 over, but it recently started warming up (80s) and i notice theyll be 108, 109..
    I did do the coolant bypass when I upgraded my TB. I plan on running meth later in the year. I'm going to get a ethanol compatible fuel pump so i can run a few gallons in the tank to help with knock.

Looks like I'll be popping out the plastic pieces on the hood and wrapping the coolant hoses.

have you wrapped the downpipe? at least for me, the upper portion i think wrapping might help with how hot the bay gets?

When you say ditch the cover, is it because you personally don't like it, or is it a detriment to IATs?
    2014 A/T VT

POWER:
    Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake (Gold Taped) | ORCP (Gold Taped) | ORHP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | WGA Adjusted | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Flex Fuel (E51) | HKS 45XL | **RN-TUNED**

SUSPENSION:
    K-Sport Kontrol Pro Coilovers | PMS 2 point lower tie bar | 75A Mounts | Rigid Collars |

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Combating HIGH IATs

Wrapping the downpipe is a good idea, ceramic coating it is even better, but since it is located on the lower back side of the engine, itís nowhere near the IAT sensor (part of the MAP sensor).

Both; itís heavy and retains heat near the MAP/IAT sensor.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 03-25-2019 at 02:43 PM.

This user has no status.
    Wrapping the downpipe is a good idea, ceramic coating it is even better, but since it is located on the lower back side of the engine, itís nowhere near the IAT sensor (part of the MAP sensor).

Both; itís heavy and retains heat near the MAP/IAT sensor.

I was hoping it was personal preference only...I like the look haha looks like I have to clean the valve cover

Ok, I'll plan to wrap the DP as well (same wrap as the coolant hoses?).

Also, what do you think about a turbo wrap? I know they're pricey, but those turbos are HOT.
    2014 A/T VT

POWER:

SUSPENSION:

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Combating HIGH IATs

Donít need to wrap the downpipe right now., due to its location. Get the small stuff out of the way first. If youíre going to remove the downpipe, have it ceramic coated. Is your DP even a 1-pc?

Turbo blankets wonít fit because the exhaust manifold is fused with the turbine housing. I tried to get a custom blanket made and the place flaked out.

Going WAI should be the goal. Blue juice (washer fluid) with a couple bottles of yellow HEET is fine.

I believe I was the second person on this forum to go WAI nearly six years ago. One of the best mods you can do.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 03-26-2019 at 12:09 AM.
    rspec2014 likes this.

This user has no status.
    Insulate all coolant hoses in the bay. Remove weather strip/seal at rear of the bay. Remove fake hood vents. Distilled water, water wetter, and just enough coolant to not freeze during coldest weather the car will see. TB and manifold coolant bypass. Remove engine cover to let heat escape from the engine easier. Also allows the coils to function better and last longer not being as hot which will help prevent knock/misfires.

Other than those you'll want a good WAI kit setup properly for what you're wanting to do. In the case of a stock intercooler you'll want a nozzle before and after the intercooler for the most effective results. This can lower your iat A LOT compared to other means, increase octane, and thus reduce risk of knock/misfires.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.
    I'll start with all the easy ones (cover, coolant hose wrap, vents). Since I'm in AZ should I just run distilled water and water wetter?

Also what wrap do you recommend exactly. X referred to lava wrap... But there's so many options. I read dei titanium is good and not fibrous like most fiberglass wrap.

I'll be purchasing the fuel pump you recommended soon. I think meth injection during the summer months especially is something I'm interested in doing eventually. Just costly...

Thanks for all the help!
    2014 A/T VT

POWER:

SUSPENSION:

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

This user has no status.

Combating HIGH IATs

DEI Titanium = lava wrap. It will still release fibers like fiberglass, so use gloves + long sleeves to prevent itching and a cheap filter mask to avoid inhaling said fibers.

WAI can and should be used year round. Cheaper than most ICs for initial cost, but you will need a solenoid since youíd be spraying through the 3TBS (post-TB). Then itís just paying for washer fluid & HEET.

Donít buy Boost Juice either, itís a ripoff.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 03-26-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    TyBardy likes this.

This user has no status.
    Don’t need to wrap the downpipe right now., due to its location. Get the small stuff out of the way first. If you’re going to remove the downpipe, have it ceramic coated. Is your DP even a 1-pc?

Turbo blankets won’t fit because the exhaust manifold is fused with the turbine housing. I tried to get a custom blanket made and the place flaked out.

Going WAI should be the goal. Blue juice (washer fluid) with a couple bottles of yellow HEET is fine.

I believe I was the second person on this forum to go WAI nearly six years ago. One of the best mods you can do.
    No, I got the cheapo DP cuz I was afraid I might bust a stud lol So I guess wrapping is useless when it comes to lowering engine bay temp.

I Plan on getting the AEM kit at the end of the year at latest. I read a few threads stating that our cars like 100% meth, and anything lower will hinder performance. You run wiper fluid and heet; ratio? Where did you position your resevoir?
    2014 A/T VT

POWER:

SUSPENSION:

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links