AEM Water/Methanol Kit - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

AEM Water/Methanol Kit

This is a discussion on AEM Water/Methanol Kit within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; Originally Posted by trdtoy Not sure where you're located or how you plan to get the tune but SXTH no longer does remote tunes just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AEM Water/Methanol Kit

Mehh...

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Not sure where you're located or how you plan to get the tune but SXTH no longer does remote tunes just FYI. They only do tunes in person or sell lap 3 tunes now.
    In PA and moving to FL in the months to come. I was planing on getting tuned as I pass through SC.
    2016 DCT VT Tech Package
    Performance- HKS M40XL / Tork EBCS / SXTH 3.5 SRI / SXTH Fuel Line / XE 3TBS / 60mm Throttle Body / Coolant Bypass / SXTH FMIC / HKS SQV4 BOV / SECo BOV Solenoid / SXTH Catless Downpipe / Magnaflow Exhaust / PUP / Mishimoto Catch Can / ADD W1 Catch Can / Glowshift AFR • Boost • Oil Temperature Gauges
    Handling- Uniq Strut Bar / Pierce Rear Torsion Beam / Pierce Crossmember / Uniq Rigid Collars / GodSpeed Lowering Springs / Continental Extreme Contact DWS

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by BURN51D3 View Post
    I agree with most of what's said here.
    A few things to think about though.

You don't need to buy a complete kit.
    I have pieced mine together from components from AEM, Snow, and other misc. stuff. (AEM filter, pump & control, Snow Solenoid & nozzle)
    The only suggestion if going this route is use the same brand pump and controller.
    I can't say for sure if there'd be differences (probably not), but it made set up easier.

Ty is right about a lot of misinformation. If you read things anywhere about it causing corrosion in engines, it's not necessarily wrong, it's just not reasonable.
    It will take a very long time for any notable corrosion to occur (with a 50/50 mix). Carbon will build up a lot quicker.

There are two main reasons for WAI (relating to power only).
    1) It will decrease the temperature of the air which results in more dense air. More air = More fuel = More Power
    This doesn't really require tuning.
    2) The part that requires tuning is more related to the other item. It suppresses detonation, effectively raising the octane of the fuel.
    So if you're using pump 91/93 and a 50/50 WAI mix, you'll essentially be running on race fuel, and can tune to this.

As for the mixture itself, Ty is 100% correct. If it's 49% or 51% it doesn't really matter, but trdtoy made a good point about using distilled water only.
    I disagree with others about running above a 50/50. There are SAE published papers detailing that performance may begin to drop after a 50/50 mix.
    While methanol is less volatile than gasoline, and has a high 'octane', its energy density is significantly less than that of gas.
    What determines power gains with a certain mix depends on if the tune is setup for that mix. Meth having less energy per unit than gas does not mean much here unless talking about a poorly setup kit and tune. Like saying E85 will make less power than 93 for the same reasons.....
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

AEM Water/Methanol Kit

#popcorn

Just threw a 2-port TB spacer on the VN.

Debating whether or not I’ll save for the vaunted HFS4-v3.1 or just throw my Snow S1 in and let the JB4 do PWM control.

#preparations
    Flareon likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Do(ing) work

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    What determines power gains with a certain mix depends on if the tune is setup for that mix. Meth having less energy per unit than gas does not mean much here unless talking about a poorly setup kit and tune. Like saying E85 will make less power than 93 for the same reasons.....
    Valid point. I'd honestly have to go back and look at the papers to see how old they were (Official SAE documents can be way out of date, see how official MPGs are determined for an example). If I recall I think it was old enough so that the engine did not employ GDI.
    So good point trdtoy, if tuned very well, it might be to a power benefit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links