Veloster Turbo Forum banner

60mm throttle body upgrade

249K views 589 replies 114 participants last post by  TyBardy 
#1 ·
I saw on one of the Veloster pages on Facebook that Rob figured out that the 2011- 2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 uses a 60mm throttle body. All of the Veloster's use a 57mm throttle body. I was intrigued by this and did some research on the part numbers of the cars and parts. Only the Elantra with the 1.8 liter does use the 60mm version.

I went on eBay to find one, as did Rob. I was able to get one for $100 with free shipping, retail is around $300 IIRC. A few days later it arrived. First thing I noticed is that the T/B did not have a port for EVAP purge solenoid line that our cars have. Rob suggested that I just tee into the PCV line that runs under the intake manifold. I thought about this and decided against it for several reasons. I went with a factory look and drilled and tapped the top of the T/B and installed a hose barb.

Install was a breeze and everything was plug and play. I attached pics below of everything. After install I reset the ECU and then let the throttle body adapt with the KOEO. Started the car and I immediately noticed a smoother idle. I then drove it for about 5 miles and did notice a little gain on the butt dyno. The mid-range power felt good and the turbo felt like it spooled a little quicker I will be driving around 75 miles tomorrow afternoon which will help the ECU learn the new parameters. I will give a more detailed review tomorrow night.
Auto part Carburetor
Product Auto part Circle Metal Steel
Font Auto part Technology Electronic device
Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Engine Vehicle
Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part
Audio equipment Wheel Door handle Auto part Automotive wheel system
Auto part Engine Exhaust system Muffler Automotive exhaust
Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Pipe
Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Carburetor

See less See more
#35 ·
Hey guys 60mm man again. Another idea is the 2013 genesis 3.8 throttle body, its 76mm another Nippon Denso piece.
But like it was mentioned matching the manifold opening to the throttle body. I guess I have to get a spacer that will taper 76mm down to 60mm.
Its a beautiful throttle body with tappered shafts.
I spoke to maxbore.com he can open the k57 and k60 4mm that would be 61mm on the k57 and 64mm on the k60. half shaft no because the shafts are pressed in, but he can tapper the shafts.
Pictures I have of the manifold, Auto part Engine Automotive fuel system Fuel line
you can open it up past the rubber gasket but you will have to use another type of gasket medium.

#37 ·
Nippon Denso has been making drive by wire throttle bodies for a long time. Honda and Toyota has been using them since 2003 and some Mitsu's.
The problem with the Honda and Toyota's is that they are mirrored and everything is on the opposite side. The socket is the same but
the wiring is a mystery. Toyota has some nice sizes, I've seen a 65mm and a 72mm. but will it work plug wise? I do not want to blow an ECU lol!
Can anyone get a catalog their website has nothing.

#41 ·
By the way Therock... You were wrong to edit... The inlet side of the tb I have has an id of 67mm and tapers to 60mm to id on the back side. Od of inlet side was Iirc 72mm which is more important I realize because it takes into account size of hose connected to tb

This post has been deleted
#48 ·
Yeah i miss read that question. For the most part we are redistricted to 60mm going into the manifold. It doesn't matter how you step it down to get to that number. if you want to run a 80mm tb go for it. I am not touching the manifold on a DI car till there is a proven better replacement.

#52 ·
wouldn't it be pointless to run anything bigger than the intake of the intake manifold because you would have the choke point?

#53 ·
Pretty much, too big of a tb with stock intake manifold can actually lower performance due to turbulence.
What mohawk was saying is, due to it be a direct injection car, he doesn't want to mess with porting intake manifold to make use of a large tb because direct injection engine are extremely touchy

#54 ·
Known useable 60mm TBs are:

2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L
2012-2014 Kia Soul 2.0L

(putting this here for my own reference or maybe OP can add a "hard list" to his first post)

#57 ·
This post has been deleted
#71 ·
2 people. Op and myself.

Just my afrs are about the same. My idle with stock tb was roughly 670-690 now it's closer to 630-640.
Feels like it pulls harder, while driving calmly I still have about the same mileage maybe slightly better ( though many variables could be the reason for that)
I plan to tune with this tb. Now while I won't bother switching them out if someone has similar mods and we baseline close enough at the event, maybe I'll see larger gains than they will after tune. Idk I think it was worth it for $75

#67 ·
Back to the throttle bodies, did that guy looking at the evo x or sonata turbo get any info?

#73 ·
I just checked my stock tb against my buddy's broken tb ( evo x) and it looks like it'll bolt up. Sadly haven't been able to actually bolt one up, and wasn't going to bother with the broken one cuz well it's broken. Only issue I may see is on the tb the retaining clip may need to be shaved/ trimmed, something for the plug to fit properly. ( kinda like people had to do with iPhones to fit previous generation chargers (excluding iPhone 5 because that's way different) it will hook up but will it work now seems to be the question.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.