Veloster Turbo 1.6 TGDI Engine Developmental Analysis - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

Veloster Turbo 1.6 TGDI Engine Developmental Analysis

This is a discussion on Veloster Turbo 1.6 TGDI Engine Developmental Analysis within the Veloster Performance forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; There is some real quality information in this article. Everyone needs to read this if they are serious about modifying the 1.6TGDI....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Veloster Turbo 1.6 TGDI Engine Developmental Analysis

Banned
    I drive a ST!

There is some real quality information in this article. Everyone needs to read this if they are serious about modifying the 1.6TGDI.

VT-Flash tuned..

THIS IS MY FRIEND IS THE MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF LITERATURE EVER TO BE PUBLISHED. .....IT IS THE MOST USEFUL PIECE OF INFO THAT A PERSON LIKE ME COULD FIND......to the unsuspecting eye......it is mumbo-jumbo.....to me.....it is helping matching the numbers on my computer screen, and gives the most comprehensive picture to insight on how the numbers work with and against each other. ....thank you...thank you......thank you.....!
    2013 VT ULTRA BLACK AUTO

Competition breeds innovation....

Vt-Flash Stage 0 Tune

Updated.....205WHP/207 WTQ. ......60,000 miles....original everything...."except oil"...bone stock
    more to come....
    next mods..
    3.5" intake built by me
    3"exhaust ..Turbo back built by me, using an "custom" 845 muffler
    oil seperators built by me to my own specifications...
    tuned by me.....ask me how...

VT-Flash tuned..

The flow of thought still remains the same, the basic principles of tuning using torque based ecu's particularly for this one....is invaluable. ....one can gat a better grasp on how these tprot ecu's function. ...especially how it is focused on component protection. .....especially when you see/ find maps that do just that.
    2013 VT ULTRA BLACK AUTO

Vt-Flash Stage 0 Tune

Updated.....205WHP/207 WTQ. ......60,000 miles....original everything...."except oil"...bone stock
    more to come....
    next mods..
    3.5" intake built by me

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

VT-Flash tuned..

thank you x, I do see where you are coming from my friend. ....
    2013 VT ULTRA BLACK AUTO

Vt-Flash Stage 0 Tune

more to come....
    next mods..
    3.5" intake built by me

Keep Calm & Chive On

Quote Originally Posted by -X- View Post
    Just figure out how to better control the injectors to minimize piston/wall wetting from overspray and that will be a good start. Unless you plan on getting new pistons with an updated crown design like I am, that will be the only way to do it, outside of aftermarket injectors that increase the angle and change the spray pattern to fit the piston crown bowl more precisely.

If you look at the OEM piston pic I posted along with the original design, it looks like they've already made some changes. The OEM injectors are now on the 3rd version, so who knows what they've done to address overspray, if at all.
    Version change over model year or during development? if they're changing critical components over a model year for the same train, we should get some kind of TSB. I mean I really don't want to wait until my engine shits itself to have to get critical components updated from the manufacturer.
    2013 Marathon Blue VT M/T - "RIPTOR" 80k+
    -Injen SRI -TAD Hood Vents -TS Rigid Collars -STI Front Lip
    -DD LEDs -DD RGB Footwell Kit -exLED Door Sills -exLED Rear Reflectors
    -PMS 6-pt Chassis Brace -PMS Street Strut Bar -PMS Rear Torsion Bar -PMS Front Sway Bar
    -SXTH Motor Mount -Tork Short Shifter -Tork Pipe -Rally Armor Flaps
    -Borla Exhaust -Redline Elite Hood Lifts -SXTH FMIC Kit -Tork Stage1 Dyno Tune

This user has no status.

Glad there are folks on here that can appreciate this sort of info. I'll give it another read with less beer this time and see what else pops out at me.

Also -X- nice pic of the piston crown. I have a little more reading to do it seems on piston design with a GDI setup.
    -X- likes this.

Banned
    I drive a ST!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronATX View Post
    Glad there are folks on here that can appreciate this sort of info. I'll give it another read with less beer this time and see what else pops out at me.

Also -X- nice pic of the piston crown. I have a little more reading to do it seems on piston design with a GDI setup.
    It is a whole new world man. Learning lots myself.

This user has no status.

I'm just glad they have the compressor map for the turbo! Now we can clearly calculate what the stock turbo can do, and when an upgrade will be needed!

I'm only in the first section still. This is a great thesis. This guy should have been handed his Master's degree as soon as the board read the first section.

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by -X- View Post
    Just figure out how to better control the injectors to minimize piston/wall wetting from overspray and that will be a good start. Unless you plan on getting new pistons with an updated crown design like I am, that will be the only way to do it, outside of aftermarket injectors that increase the angle and change the spray pattern to fit the piston crown bowl more precisely.

If you look at the OEM piston pic I posted along with the original design, it looks like they've already made some changes. The OEM injectors are now on the 3rd version, so who knows what they've done to address overspray, if at all.
    The 3rd revision addressed cone diameter.

The piston crowns do not fix wall wetting or overspray. Take a look at some of the videos for the ST Focus, Mazda DISI engine, and many, many others. The crowns only work under partial throttle and very light load, the areas where emissions and economy play the biggest part. When you go WOT, the piston tops become a mess and fuel is flying around everywhere.

I had a lengthy conversation with the engineer with Mazda about piston design, and his eventual reply to me (in very broken english), "pistons were not made for performance, they were made for emissions". That crown becomes a performance hinder when you exceed the limits of the stock design, power, and torque. Piston speeds also play a huge part in crown design, so when you increase pistons speeds... the crown needs to be changed.

So much work has been put into crown design, flame propagation, emissions, lean burn attributes that making a "performance" piston has all but been forgotten. There is a reason GDI race cars hide there piston design (VW, Ford, Mazda, ect)... its because what they have found out is that a dished, crowned, blah blah blah piston doesn't make for a good performance piston. It took me several email, phone calls, friend requests ect to get someone in the racing community of GDI to help with our piston design and ours does not have a crown. As the engineer said, "the crown it great for pre-ignition, if that is what you are looking for".
    Home Of The Worlds Highest WHP and WTQ Stock Turbo VT, 267 WHP and 295 WTQ!!!

Contact us at 253-887-8305 or email us at [email protected]

Check out our website at www.damnfastdd.com

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElementEngineering View Post
    I'm just glad they have the compressor map for the turbo! Now we can clearly calculate what the stock turbo can do, and when an upgrade will be needed!

I'm only in the first section still. This is a great thesis. This guy should have been handed his Master's degree as soon as the board read the first section.
    Compressor maps and GDI cars need to have a grain of salt thrown in for good measure. Just two weeks ago I did what the Mazda community said was impossible. To make 340 WHP on a stock MazdaSpeed turbo. The compressor maps say its impossible, but we did it. Not only that, but I still feel that there is additional room to grow with his tune because we did that 340 + WHP on pump gas and methanol injection. The car is also missing a few parts, so with those remaining parts, I suspect that 350 WHP is going to be possible with the factory turbo on the MazdaSpeed.

I suspect that people are going to assume that 300 WHP is impossible with the VT turbo, well I hope to make that a possibility here soon.
    wesg631 likes this.
    Home Of The Worlds Highest WHP and WTQ Stock Turbo VT, 267 WHP and 295 WTQ!!!

Contact us at 253-887-8305 or email us at [email protected]

Check out our website at www.damnfastdd.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links