Need to replace Brake Pads - Page 5

Veloster Turbo Forum

Need to replace Brake Pads

This is a discussion on Need to replace Brake Pads within the Veloster Turbo Australia forums, part of the Veloster Turbo World Forums category; Originally Posted by Mr.MattyV Sounds like you didn't have them seated fully. Speed bleeders are just like normal bleeders except there is a valve inside. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Need to replace Brake Pads

Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MattyV View Post
    Sounds like you didn't have them seated fully. Speed bleeders are just like normal bleeders except there is a valve inside. You still have to loosen them so that the fluid can flow through.
    No, this has happened enough times with motorcycles that I now of. I haven't heard of it with cars but given it's the same technology (if we can call it that), then it probably has happened. I wouldn't use them in a million years. I bought a pair and screwed one onto the end of my brake bleeding tube to use it as a one-person bleeder. This works the same way as having them on your calipers only much, much safer.

I read the comment about 'use these end of conversation' and didn't offer my observation that it's best not to because I knew I was going to get flamed. I thought it's better if you all took that dud advice and smashed your cars up. Because if you smash up your cars (and maybe kill yourselves) because someone recommended this crap product, I don't really care. I know about them and I don't use them and that's what matters to me.
    Last edited by cbrmale; 04-26-2014 at 12:10 AM.

This user has no status.

You shouldn't have to bleed the brake system under normal circumstances. I've done dozens of brake jobs without introducing any air in to the system or requiring any bleeding.

If you want to replace the brake fluid every time it will take a lot more effort and risk. It is essentially a full brake rebuild and you have to disassemble the master cylinder and slave cylinders in the calipers. Only the brake fluid that travels back and forth with the pistons is subject to contamination. Bleeding the brake lines between the bleeder valves only replaces the fluid that is not subject to wear or contamination.

In order to remove the bits of brake fluid where the pistons operate you have to take the pistons apart, clean them out and then refill them with brake fluid when reassembling them. That can be really tricky for two reasons. If you get any brake fluid past the pistons they won't work properly because they can't compress the fluid. If you don't fully fill the piston assembly with brake fluid you can get an air bubble that can be difficult or impossible to bleed because it's past the bleed valve.

Also, the piston rebuild kits - which consist mainly of O rings - are relatively cheap. Anytime that you have the pistons apart you might as well rebuild them while you are there.

This user has no status.

Hi guys,

Hyundai service wants to charge AU$159 for front fitted pads.
    Where did you guys get your stock front brake pads from?
    I'm in Sydney btw
    2013 Young Gun
    Avant Garde M550 19x8.5 - 225/35 ZR19 Achilles, BC BR Type Sports Coilovers,
    Jun BL Cat-Back, 20% tints, Custom Billet Emblems, TS Rigid Collars

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links