Another AutoX in the books - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

Another AutoX in the books

This is a discussion on Another AutoX in the books within the Veloster Turbo Autocross forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Racing category; Originally Posted by TC4Tay Was looking at the log I took of my 4th and final run, forgot to log the other 3, and holy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another AutoX in the books

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by TC4Tay View Post
    Was looking at the log I took of my 4th and final run, forgot to log the other 3, and holy heat soak the stock intercooler sucks. Intake temps at idle were 161*F and dropped to 141*F, a whole 54*f over ambient. Ouch.
    Attachment 98649
    Never run car on a stock intercooler any longer than you have to or you will have really high iats. This is pretty well known.

I can tell you that with iat at 142° and coolant at 210° that it's pulling power back a lot which costs a lot of time. Also not safe for motor due to higher misfire/knock potential.

I'd do all the heat reduction you can first if I were you. Colder thermostat, high water content coolant, higher psi radiator cap, and colder plugs would do the car wonders before even moving to an upgraded intercooler.
    TC4Tay likes this.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Lots of other heat reduction & management tricks can be done as well.

You really need a WAI system though. That is the shortcut method to combat extreme heat soak and high IATs.

Procrastinating at Work

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Never run car on a stock intercooler any longer than you have to or you will have really high iats. This is pretty well known.

I can tell you that with iat at 142° and coolant at 210° that it's pulling power back a lot which costs a lot of time. Also not safe for motor due to higher misfire/knock potential.

I'd do all the heat reduction you can first if I were you. Colder thermostat, high water content coolant, higher psi radiator cap, and colder plugs would do the car wonders before even moving to an upgraded intercooler.
    Yea if and when someone releases a OEM style IC upgrade, I'll switch to it and try to sneak it in to stay in street class lol.
    As for plugs, I think I'm NGK 1422 heat range 8 plugs. Guess I'll switch to HR 9 plugs .
    Gonna look into changing out my coolant, getting the 160* thermostat, and wrapping my coolant lines.
    2016 VT Rally Edition
    Performance: | 845 Motorsport 3.5" SRI | SXTH Resonator Delete Pipe, Shifter Bushings, Cable Bushings | XPVS | CNT Cat-back |
    Misc : | Add W1 Catch Can (PCV) | XWEK | Torque Pro w/ OBDLink LX

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by TC4Tay View Post
    Yea if and when someone releases a OEM style IC upgrade, I'll switch to it and try to sneak it in to stay in street class lol.
    As for plugs, I think I'm NGK 1422 heat range 8 plugs. Guess I'll switch to HR 9 plugs .
    Gonna look into changing out my coolant, getting the 160* thermostat, and wrapping my coolant lines.
    Getting a stock location intercooler made is a non issue if you can use it and be in the same class.

As mentioned, water/meth injection wiuld help a lot if you could run that.

You car comes with a heat range 8 from the oem. Going to a 9 will help some.

You can run a 75% water, 25% antifreeze mix where you are year round. Or 100% water for when over freezing temps. Mix in some water wetter as well. More water % makes heat pulled from motor night and day different and power will be gained as well.

The thermostat will help keep everything cooler in general.

Insulating all the coolant hoses/lines in the bay is also a good idea. So is removing the weather strip at the rear of bay, coolant bypass, and anything to vent bay or get more air moving through it.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Meth injection isn't allowed at all and most of the other things listed push him up to modified or prepared. As for the federals being competitive I doubt they're more than 1/2 second off the RE71's. I'm in a class that allows slicks with them and fender flares going to a 245. If I get that done by end of the year I'm guessing it isn't out the question to drop 2 seconds. At the last event that would have put be in 3rd in pax.
    TC4Tay likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links