Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Looking to buy a new veloster

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Rawtashk 
#1 ·
Hey guys I've been looking to buy the veloster turbo for the mpg. Anyone have any reasons not to buy the car? I am debating this car or the focus ST2. I am coming from an Evo X so I'm not really worried about the speed of either one. Mainly the reliability. The local dealer said they would do 22 OTD in addition to putting the remix rims on it because I don't like the turbo rims.

#2 ·
Reasons not to buy ... Tough question to answer ... I owned an 08 STI as well as a JCW Mini ... This car will yield better MPG in then some over your bad ass EVO ... LOL! But then again you don't buy an EVO for mileage. VT will ride like your EVO if not a little more plush. I would tell you to try and test-drive car if you can in all conditions, rain, sun, night, city, hwy. I think this will help give you a flavor for the car and its manners. I really like my VT. Only real complaint I have is that the center stack where radio is controlled etc. is that during night the stack is still pretty bright, even in night mode on its lowest setting. I had to put a piece of window tint over it. I also changed out the tires as I think the stock tires leave everything to be desired. Hope this helps ... Good Luck

#3 ·
I came out of a 2004 gto and i will say that I love the VT.. I love the gas mileage.. I figure this, yes the power is nice but lets say you get on it realistically 10% of the time you drove your car, ill take 90% better gas mileage while having a nice smooth ride over the that.. I love the way it drives and shifts in the manual tranny, it's not fast but it's quick enough... Btw as weird as people may think the third door is, that's one of its best features!

#4 ·
I tried like hell to get my dealer to do the same, I wanted to remix wheels but they just got it on the showroom floor and wouldnt swap them. I am not a fan of the turbo wheels either. For the price its the best for what it is, IMO. Now if the fiesta st was out then that would be different purchase for me.

#5 ·
I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but the focus ST doesn't stand out THAT much from a regular focus. And when I say that I'm referring to the exterior. If you want a car that will get second looks and stand out then get the VT. Even N/A Velosters stand out because of the cars shape. The focus ST looks kinda like a normal car and blends in.

In regards to performance the ST seems to get similar MPG based on #s on fuel economy.gov. And it is obviously much faster around a track because it comes from the factory with a better suspension. It comes down to initial price, and warranty. I chose the VT mainly because of the way it looks.

#6 ·
What are you looking for in MPG? The average MPG on the VTs that are being tracked on Fuelly is around 26.6mpg. I've had mine for 3300 miles, and the best tank I've ever gotten was 27.5, with 60% highway driving and driving like an old grandma in the city and not even touching the turbo.

When you say OTD, do you mean taxes and everything else? If so, then that means they're selling it to you for about $20,300, which is a HELL of a deal. If his "OTD" numbers do NOT include taxes and dealer fees, then you need to work a better deal. I used Hyundai Circle pricing to get the asking price from $23,388 down to paying $20,728 for mine.

#7 ·
22OTD is pretty decent. Since you're not concerned about speed, the VT is a pretty solid choice. If you're really looking for a gas saver then I would consider a prius or something of that matter. Hyundai has come a long way since it's previous generations. Just look at how many Sonata and Elantra's are on the road these days! Plus you get the 100,000 mile warranty which should give you a peace of mind. I've had my VT for a bit over 10K miles and I haven't had any problems with it thus far. *knock on wood*

I can confidently say that VT is a fun little machine that has a balance between performance / fuel economy.

#9 ·
Looks like we were all looking for the same things in a new car... We all seem to say we wanted good mpg, decent speed, a great warranty for peace of mind, and a bad ass looking ride.. We all were steered to the VT which is saying something.. It really does fit a lot of needs regardless of age or gender and personally looks great doing any type of exterior mods to it.. I do wish it was a tad faster but hey, it's turboed and it's not hard to get quick gains in hp...

#10 · (Edited)
I am getting it because of looks, price, and features (motor and interior feature). can't beat that trifecta these days with out sacrificing one or the other.

After being on this forum as much as I am, makes me want it more. There are SO much you can do with this car and make it 100x better. One of my things I can't wait to do is to test out the new FMIC I got from turbosocks.

And even though from the factory it isn't as fast as some people wish it was, after bolt on parts (dp, exhuast, fmic, intake) PLUS a tune I am sure it will surely meet at lease my exception of how fast it should be :D Can't wait.

#11 ·
I'm looking at getting the VT for the same reasons that everyone else has mentioned.

My first reason for looking at the VT is the MPG. I currently drive a 2002 Mustang GT and while the mpg isn't terrible (I average about 23 mpg all hwy) I feel I will get much better mpg with the VT.

The second reason that I am looking at the VT is the fact that it isn't a two door. I plan on eventually starting a family and the fact that the VT has a usable backseat is great.

The third reason is that there is nothing on the road that even remotely looks like it.

All three plus the fact that it is sporty makes it just that much better.

#16 · (Edited)
I average 29mpg and that's through the winter months, but i bought it because of what its CAPABLE of getting. On long trips where I set the cruise I've gotten 35-37. This car is capable of way higher than 26-27, which is a number that I'm sure reflects more spirited driving. I understand 26-27 reflects rear world driving but I know for a fact everybody is driving this car real hard bc its new. Fuel economy.gov shows a real world avg over 29. During warm months I'm sure this # will rise. I averaged 32mpg in my 2011 accent m/t, which did 0-60 in 11+ seconds. I upgraded to a much faster VT and lost 3mpg. I'm not at all disappointed with the MPG #s

#13 ·
I've test driven a Focus ST and while it's a great car, if you're coming from an Evo X, your HP need is already covered. The VT gets good gas mileage, seeing thats what you're looking for. The Focus is just faster with less features, IMHO. As for reasons not to buy a VT....can't really think of any. ;)

#14 ·
Yeah the 22k was OTD tax title and everything. I like the look of it with the remix rims I was looking at a white one and a blue one(both manual) I thought they got a lot better gas mileage. I drove one around for like 40 mins and it never went under like 32 mpg. That was with mostly highway and some city. I like the focus interior. I was really surprised on how well they put it together. In my opinion both are nicer on the interior than the evo but I'll miss the recaros. I still haven't made a decision yet. I've had a couple guys come about the evo but its not sold yet so I still have to sell that to get another car. Thanks for all the replies they sound like a pretty solid car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.