2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

Veloster Turbo Forum

2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

This is a discussion on 2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Good evening everyone. Noobie over here to the forums, I created an account solely to ask this question. I have a 2013 VT 6-speed and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyflag
  • 2 Post By Nihil1

Thread: 2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

This user has no status.

2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

Good evening everyone. Noobie over here to the forums, I created an account solely to ask this question.

I have a 2013 VT 6-speed and I'm trying to determine what direction to go with this car. I do plan on keeping it for a while so here we go:

The 2019 2nd gen VT N model has the 2.0T from the sonata in it. I'm wondering whether that will bolt right up in the first generation VT since its the same motor that is used in the 2nd gen VT N or would i be required to do a shit ton of Fabrication and customization that'll cost more than what the car itself is worth.

Help, directions, or even a 2.0 swap guide would be great.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumiam View Post
    Good evening everyone. Noobie over here to the forums, I created an account solely to ask this question.

I have a 2013 VT 6-speed and I'm trying to determine what direction to go with this car. I do plan on keeping it for a while so here we go:

The 2019 2nd gen VT N model has the 2.0T from the sonata in it. I'm wondering whether that will bolt right up in the first generation VT since its the same motor that is used in the 2nd gen VT N or would i be required to do a shit ton of Fabrication and customization that'll cost more than what the car itself is worth.

Help, directions, or even a 2.0 swap guide would be great.
    Keeping the 1.6L is best option overall and can make good power. How much power will determine $ needed to do so. Or budget will limit what you can do.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

It seems like it takes way too much work to get this engine above 400WHP.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

Could a 2.0 swap be done? Maybe, but then you’d have to do a lot of research and analysis to even guess how feasible it is, without any help from this community because nobody has done it. The 2.0 ECM from the VN is incompatible with the other computer-controlled systems in the VT1 and cannot currently be tuned without knowing someone who can probe it under the covers.

You’re much better off buying a spare 1.6 engine and rebuilding it carefully. Get someone to build a custom exhaust manifold and select an aftermarket turbo that fits both your intended usage and power goals. Swap that in and you can tune it yourself using HPTuners with 0 incompatibility issues regarding supporting systems. There are enough performance internals available to support a 500+ WHP build and a few people have done so.

Try to do it the hard way (2.0 swap) and you’ll likely hit many roadblocks along the way, spending probably double of what a 1.6 rebuild would cost, plus you will have to have a lot more funds readily available up front to get custom fabrication done and professional consulting assistance for converting the electronics to be compatible.

Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 03-08-2019 at 02:32 AM.

This user has no status.

2.0 Swap into 1st Gen VT

In addition, even a 1.6 rebuild plus a quality aftermarket turbo setup with all the ancillary necessities will cost more than the car is worth right now. Just traded my 2014 VT with 48K miles in on a VN and the dealer would not budge over 7K.

Sorry to say this, but if you want a 400+ WHP car for cheap, you’d be better off finding one that is already built and being sold at a huge discount.
    Last edited by E9C900A; 03-08-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Super Moderator
    Premium Member
    I got meth...

Quote Originally Posted by E9C900A View Post
    In addition, even a 1.6 rebuild plus a quality aftermarket turbo setup with all the ancillary necessities will cost more than the car is worth right now. Just traded my 2014 VT with 48K miles in on a VN and the dealer would not budge over 7K.

Sorry to say this, but if you want a 400+ WHP car for cheap, you’d be better off finding one that is already built and being sold at a huge discount.
    Amazing how the depreciation on cars are... Hyundai's are among some of the worst for trade in value.
    Veloster Gone.... 2017 FoST added.

Rose

IMO Hyundai's are meant to be bought and kept till they die. LOL
    TyBardy likes this.
    2014 Boston Red, A/T
    6EE SRI, MBRP Pro Series Exhaust with Tips, XE HF ORHP, 6EE Red Cold Pipe, Turbo XS BOV 225/40/18 Yokohama Advan Sport A/S, Konig Control Matte Black Wheels, Megan Racing Strut Bar, Pierce Upper Rear Brace, Pierce Rear Torsion Bar, Pierce 2 Point Lower Tie bar, 2 Red OCC

ready

Quote Originally Posted by rspec2014 View Post
    Amazing how the depreciation on cars are... Hyundai's are among some of the worst for trade in value.
    Good for people looking for used cars.
    My wife's '15 Sonata with 14,000 miles cost $14k and she bought it in early 2017. They were gonna sell it for $16k but got it down to 14k.

Can't even imagine how much trade in money they paid the 1st owner. It's really for people who's gonna drive them until the wheels fall off, because whatever they gonna offer 5yrs from now and 60k miles later as a trading value will definitely be nearly nothing.

Insane, and Happily modding
    his R-Spec.

My plan is to keep modding my car and drive until it die and has been resurrected 1 or 2 times.
    TooGqForYou and dannyflag like this.
    Stock 2015 R-Spec Ultra Black M/T
    So much to do, And How to Hide it from the Wife?

Sponsored Links