Blown engines... - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

Blown engines...

This is a discussion on Blown engines... within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Also blew my motor. A/T. Car is currently at the dealership going on round 2... Area's that they have blown (climate)? It was in the ...

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
Like Tree783Likes

Thread: Blown engines...

This user has no status.

Also blew my motor. A/T. Car is currently at the dealership going on round 2...

Area's that they have blown (climate)? It was in the 70's. Warm weather.

Power levels if known? N/A

Time from last oil change (miles or actual time)? It was only about a month in from last oil change.

Mods on car? Torkpipe, BOV, and SRI at the time.

Octane fuel running at time of failure? 91

RPM that engine failed at? Knocking above 5000 rpm

Under load? If so, how much load (guess based on how much throttle you were giving it)? Guessing maybe 75%

Anything unique about the conditions, going around a corner, up a hill, down a hill, any details will help? Just a couple of freeway pulls the first time I blew the engine. 55-75 mph. Regular driving in the city, under 2000 rpms when I started miss firing and almost blew the second time.

Were you coming off a long freeway drive when the engine failure happened? First time yes.

Do you do mostly freeway or city driving? City. I have a 30 second commute to work in a car.

What are your daily driving habits? To and from work. I don't hit freeway speeds til the weekends.

What cylinder failed (1-4)? 2 and 4 the first time around. Cylinder 1 and multi cylinder the second time.

I've got some hidden issue I can't quite figure out yet. Possible fuel lines but I don't know.
    Last edited by Sbnmatthew; 03-25-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbnmatthew View Post
    Also blew my motor. Car is currently at the dealership going on round 2...

Area's that they have blown (climate)? It was in the 70's. Warm weather.

Tuned? Yes

Power levels if known? N/A

Time from last oil change (miles or actual time)? It was only about a month in from last oil change.

Mods on car? Torkpipe, BOV, and SRI at the time.

Octane fuel running at time of failure? 91

RPM that engine failed at? Knocking above 5000 rpm

Under load? If so, how much load (guess based on how much throttle you were giving it)? Guessing maybe 75%

Anything unique about the conditions, going around a corner, up a hill, down a hill, any details will help? Just a couple of freeway pulls the first time I blew the engine. 55-75 mph. Regular driving in the city, under 2000 rpms when I started miss firing and almost blew the second time.

Were you coming off a long freeway drive when the engine failure happened? First time yes.

Do you do mostly freeway or city driving? City. I have a 30 second commute to work in a car.

What are your daily driving habits? To and from work. I don't hit freeway speeds til the weekends.

What cylinder failed (1-4)? 2 and 4 the first time around. Cylinder 1 and multi cylinder the second time.

I've got some hidden issue I can't quite figure out yet. Possible fuel lines but I don't know.
    Please keep us posted on what you find. I am suspecting a fueling issue with the fuel lines or something causing the car to run lean.
    Home Of The Worlds Highest WHP and WTQ Stock Turbo VT, 267 WHP and 295 WTQ!!!

Contact us at 253-887-8305 or email us at [email protected]

Check out our website at www.damnfastdd.com

Figs are great when they come
    in Newtons

Can we also add when was your car made aka born on date?
    '13 M/T Marathon Blue
    Tippett Auto Design Standalone Fog Lights and Hood Vents, Diode Dynamics HID Fog Lights and Headlights, TurboSocks Rigid Collars, V1 FMIC, and vacuum flange, Pierce Motorsports VT-One, 2-point Tie Bar, Rear Torsion Bar, Catless DP, and Rear Brace, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Injen SRI, Torkpipe, SilverBullet Custom Emblem Bat, Redline Tuning Gas Hoodstruts, exLED Lightbar in Enginebay, 19" Stance 5ives

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Chapter 11: Section 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Sbnmatthew View Post

Tuned? Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeTee

Tuned? - Yes

more details are needed here, IMHO..... who tuned it? custom/canned/bench??? stage # (if applicable?) how many miles since tune? etc??
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6spd MT - Ultimate edition

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    more details are needed here, IMHO..... who tuned it? custom/canned/bench??? stage # (if applicable?) how many miles since tune? etc??
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Banned
    Don't be insulted, You
    probably deserved it.

Agreed, looks like the tuned crowd is loosing motors more than the stockers?
    Khyber VT, xBeRx, mcguyver and 1 others like this.

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    They are both tuned by us. Problem being... neither of them blew under load, so that leaves other things to speculate.

Mathew has a different problem with his car, he is getting 13 to 14 AFR's under load and that wouldn't be possible with or without a tune (enrichment protection should turn on when it starts knocking and it would appear that its not).

VeeTee, he blew under light load and low boost... I have my suspicions to what caused his failure but I need more reported engines in this thread. I suspect that its always going to be cylinder 2 or 4 that lets go on these engines. I don't want to lead to much into why that is just yet, but it does have something to do with the crank case windage and oil control.

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Agreed, looks like the tuned crowd is loosing motors more than the stockers?
    I have seen 7 or 8 guys that have popped on stock or near stock set ups. I think that number is very close with the tuned cars as well. There are several engine failures in NV for some reason and all of them appear to be fuel pump related (pump comes apart, dumps a ton of debris in the engine/valvetrain) failures.

I am trying to my best to not jump to any conclusions just yet, so lets get some more posts inside this thread and see if the cylinder 2 and 4 are in fact the failure points.
    tCizzler likes this.

Banned
    Don't be insulted, You
    probably deserved it.

Thx for being up front and pro active John. Thats the kind of vendors I want here. Anyone know what sfr or the others doing/seeing? Also John im pretty sure you would have the most tuned cars out on the road.

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Thx for being up front and pro active John. Thats the kind of vendors I want here. Anyone know what sfr or the others doing/seeing? Also John im pretty sure you would have the most tuned cars out on the road.
    Transparency is key!!! I think we just hit the 100 unit mark, so that is a lot of cars running our tune.
    tCizzler and Velosynter like this.

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links