Blown engines...

Veloster Turbo Forum

Blown engines...

This is a discussion on Blown engines... within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; So much speculation that we need to get some details. How many have been A/T? How many have been M/T? Area's that they have blown ...

Page 1 of 112 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Like Tree783Likes

Thread: Blown engines...

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Blown engines...

So much speculation that we need to get some details.

How many have been A/T?

How many have been M/T?

Area's that they have blown (climate)?

Tuned?

Not Tuned?

Power levels if known?

Was the car up to full temperature (4 bars)? If not, how many bars were showing?

Time from last oil change (miles or actual time)?

Mods on car?

Octane fuel running at time of failure?

RPM that engine failed at?

Under load? If so, how much load (guess based on how much throttle you were giving it)?

Anything unique about the conditions, going around a corner, up a hill, down a hill, any details will help?

Were you coming off a long freeway drive when the engine failure happened?

Do you do mostly freeway or city driving?

What are your daily driving habits?

What cylinder failed (1-4)?

We need to format a list to see if there is one common condition, event, climate change, ect that caused the failure. If you don't want to post your details on the open forums, feel free to PM me and I will not release your name, login, ect on the forums. I will simply list you as engine failure # (enter number) and keep your details private. Also, lets take a little time to try and find those people on the Facebook page and try to get there details of what has happened.

This will help a great deal into finding out what the real culprit is that is causing all these sudden failures we are seeing on stock or modified cars.

Get me this info and I will put an honest effort into trying to identify what is causing the engines to fail. I have my suspicions about a few things inside the ECU, but I need to get the info from everyone so I can start looking in the right areas.

Admin, if you could sticky this that would be fantastic!

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    WhiteBoy, Malgadar, VeloT and 9 others like this.
    Home Of The Worlds Highest WHP and WTQ Stock Turbo VT, 267 WHP and 295 WTQ!!!

Contact us at 253-887-8305 or email us at [email protected]

Check out our website at www.damnfastdd.com

Banned
    I drive a ST!

Stickied.

Anything not related to this topic will be deleted.

3Sxturbo and JadesMarine like this.

(╯°□°)

Ok, I'll start: Hi, my name is Holger and I popped my engine. Here are the details:

- M/T

Area's that they have blown (climate)? - Michigan, cold weather (yes the engine was warmed up prior to incident)

Tuned? - Yes by Tork

Power levels if known? - N/A popped before I could make it to the dyno

Time from last oil change (miles or actual time)? - Changed oil (royal purple with OEM filter) on Feb 8th

Mods on car? - The usual, pretty much all of them

Octane fuel running at time of failure? - 93

RPM that engine failed at? - 3900

Under load? If so, how much load? - Was under 17% load

Anything unique about the conditions, going around a corner, up a hill, down a hill, any details will help? - Cruising/Going around 2 cars on the freeway at 84mph

Were you coming off a long freeway drive when the engine failure happened? - No. I was driving city style for approximately 30 minutes, then got on the freeway where it popped

Do you do mostly freeway or city driving? - Both, but a little bit more of the city driving

What are your daily driving habits? - Grocery getter & daily driven. Have never raced or auto-x, etc. Spirited driving at best I'd say, never redlined.

What cylinder failed (1-4)? first misfire was 4, then 2, then failure

Can't believe this happened to me! Am a very responsible owner of the car and try to baby her as much as I can. The engine failed under strange circumstances if you ask me, 17% load? It's MI winter and I NEVER rag on the car because I know it wouldn't function properly in this cold weather.
    Hyundai is an UNBELIEVABLE good company imo! I got to sit down with a Rep at my local dealership and we talked it out. End result, they're going to replace my stuff and the replacement parts will be covered by a new warranty again! I couldn't believe it, what a fantastic company!! Still gotta dish out $ for labor, taxes, etc, but what a relief this was, I mean I had sleepless nights, couldn't eat much, etc... I am very thankful for what they have done, especially at my dealership, Suburban Hyundai here in Troy, MI! Adamm the sales manager is out of this world and helped me SO much! I will be forever in debt with them and always will be thankful for what they have done for me!
    Last edited by VeeTee; 03-20-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    2013 Veloster Turbo M/T, Elite White, Ultimate Package
    Artfully crafted and personalized.
    https://www.ndtv.com/news/images/gadg...agram-logo.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

(╯°□°)

Come on people, post up if you popped so we can find a common denominator. Wasn't easy for me either...

My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeTee View Post
    Ok, I'll start: Hi, my name is Holger and I popped my engine. Here are the details:

- M/T

Area's that they have blown (climate)? - Michigan, cold weather (yes the engine was warmed up prior to incident)

Tuned? - Yes

Power levels if known? - N/A popped before I could make it to the dyno

Time from last oil change (miles or actual time)? - Changed oil (royal purple with OEM filter) on Feb 8th

Mods on car? - The usual, pretty much all of them

Octane fuel running at time of failure? - 93

RPM that engine failed at? - 3900

Under load? If so, how much load? - Was under 17% load

Anything unique about the conditions, going around a corner, up a hill, down a hill, any details will help? - Cruising/Going around 2 cars on the freeway at 84mph

Were you coming off a long freeway drive when the engine failure happened? - No. I was driving city style for approximately 30 minutes, then got on the freeway where it popped

Do you do mostly freeway or city driving? - Both, but a little bit more of the city driving

What are your daily driving habits? - Grocery getter & daily driven. Have never raced or auto-x, etc. Spirited driving at best I'd say, never redlined.

What cylinder failed (1-4)? first misfire was 4, then 2, then failure

Can't believe this happened to me! Am a very responsible owner of the car and try to baby her as much as I can. The engine failed under strange circumstances if you ask me, 17% load? It's MI winter and I NEVER rag on the car because I know it wouldn't function properly in this cold weather.
    Hyundai is an UNBELIEVABLE good company imo! I got to sit down with a Rep at my local dealership and we talked it out. End result, they're going to replace my stuff and the replacement parts will be covered by a new warranty again! I couldn't believe it, what a fantastic company!! Still gotta dish out $ for labor, taxes, etc, but what a relief this was, I mean I had sleepless nights, couldn't eat much, etc... I am very thankful for what they have done, especially at my dealership, Suburban Hyundai here in Troy, MI! Adamm the sales manager is out of this world and helped me SO much! I will be forever in debt with them and always will be thankful for what they have done for me!
    Labor cost for what, replacing their blown engine? it's under warranty and everything should be covered!
    Khyber VT and velosterdude30 like this.

POTATO #68 WITH RICE

Quote Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
    Labor cost for what, replacing their blown engine? it's under warranty and everything should be covered!
    yeah, was wondering the same thing. by the way, that's my dealership too - they are great people.

(╯°□°)

Not true at all, unfortunately mcguyver.
    In our warranty it states somewhere on page 21, 22, 23(?) that once you mess with the ecu/computer, i.e. a tune, that you void all warranty.
    That's what I have learned from all of this.

┻━┻
    ︵ヽ(`Д´)
    5417;︵
    ┻━┻

Yes.. All those mods and tunes are Hyundai's responsibility..
    So if you blow your motor after modding half your car, are you REALLY going to be pissed at hyundai if they deny you warranty service? Its the risk we all take man..

Quote Originally Posted by VeeTee View Post
    Not true at all, unfortunately mcguyver.
    In our warranty it states somewhere on page 21, 22, 23(?) that once you mess with the ecu/computer, i.e. a tune, that you void all warranty.
    That's what I have learned from all of this.
    I actually found that out yesterday myself.. I was chasing down a white VT I've never seen to invite him over to the boards, and turns out he works for Hyundai and when I told him about the tuning event that is what he told me.. ECU mods are all warranty voided.
    VeeTee likes this.
    -----------------------------VSport United------------------------------
    VSport Ohio - VSport Tennessee - VSport Indiana - VSport Texas
    VSport Florida

MAP - ZOMB13

Selling everything VT related

read all of the mods. The tune alone would void the warranty. Anything that they warrantied would be a miracle unless he pulled everything off (which I think he may have). But the end result is that they can and most likely would prove that one or all of the parts assisted in the failing of the engine IF they were aware of the mods.

Glad they covered what they did though.

And I know there are a few more engine that have failed out there....come on people. We need to know before more start blowing.......
    No more VT

Selling all parts........

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

We got a little off topic but this is good, we are talking about the conditions. Keep them coming guys so we can find the common item between all these engine failures.
    Home Of The Worlds Highest WHP and WTQ Stock Turbo VT, 267 WHP and 295 WTQ!!!

Contact us at 253-887-8305 or email us at [email protected]

Check out our website at www.damnfastdd.com

Page 1 of 112 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links