Performance thermostat? - Page 2

Veloster Turbo Forum

Performance thermostat?

This is a discussion on Performance thermostat? within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Found box with part number of the 160 degree thermostat I used that will also work on the v and vt. Napa Superstat 530060. Less ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Performance thermostat?

This user has no status.

Found box with part number of the 160 degree thermostat I used that will also work on the v and vt. Napa Superstat 530060. Less than $10 at my local napa. Use rubber ring from oem hyundai on this one before install.
    Last edited by trdtoy; 05-31-2014 at 08:36 PM.

VT-Flash tuned..

Is everyone sure that the closed loop parameters "low" limit even starts within those temps.....? A colder in most ecu contrlled car's tend toake the car run way to rich and in most cases, screws up the open / closed loop function. .some things to think about...
    finch13, mohawk24 and Zapper like this.
    2013 VT ULTRA BLACK AUTO

Competition breeds innovation....

Vt-Flash Stage 0 Tune

Updated.....205WHP/207 WTQ. ......60,000 miles....original everything...."except oil"...bone stock
    more to come....
    next mods..
    3.5" intake built by me
    3"exhaust ..Turbo back built by me, using an "custom" 845 muffler
    oil seperators built by me to my own specifications...
    tuned by me.....ask me how...

This user has no status.

Been getting some pms on this so wanted to revive this thread as it should benefit many VT's out there.

@Movt: I remember when doing this to my accent that I read in an online manual what temps had to get to per ecu or cel would be thrown and engine would not run optimally. Something along the lines of coolant had to reach minimal 160°f or gain x°f in a certain time frame after starting engine. Read the same for the VT but unable to locate the info at the moment. I know through logging, butt dyno, and real dyno, the power increases after the 160°f mark.....
    Maybe you or someone else could find something to back this up.....

Mentioned colder thermostat to a tuner in Feb of '15, at which time they denied that it would help on the VT. But on here they recently stated that lower coolant temps helped make more power.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Status symbol

This was a power mod for the NSRT-4 crowd as well, but that's old tech compared to now... Not sure if the VT would benefit.
    2016 VT, 6MT Pacific Blue
    GL 15/20 wheel spacers | TS 3.5" SRI | MF Cat-back | Uniq strut bar | Progress Rear Bar | TS Collars
    RokBlokz Mudflaps | SXTH OCC (PCV) | TS cold pipe w/ HKS SSQV bov | Xe coated ORHP | Rev 75A MM
    Mods yet to receive/install:

Previous: 2013 6MT Vitamin C VT, Solo Performance cbe, Injen cai, IC res delete. Raccoon killer.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz wrecker View Post
    This was a power mod for the NSRT-4 crowd as well, but that's old tech compared to now... Not sure if the VT would benefit.
    If it benefits the VT is not the question. The questions are how much does it benefit the VT on oem tune and how much further can you push it with aftermarket tune?

This user has no status.

Yupp we commonly did this when modding mustangs as well. It was one of the first mods i did back then. Going to be getting one for the VT as well.
    Go Fast: 6EE CAI, Pierce HFC, MagnaFlow Catback, HF ORHP, ORCP, 60mm TB, 3TBS
    Twisties: Pierce Upper Rear Chassis Brace, Pierce torsion bar, Pierce strut bar, Pierce 2 point subframe brace, Rigid Collars
    Looks: NIA Eyebrows, 35% tint, Motegi SP10s, 35% smoked tails, neochrome fogs

To come: 6EE Tune, Modded OEM IC w/ Shroud, Ark Springs, Shocks, 160Tstat, STI Lip

This user has no status.

If you have autopart stores that carry Gates or Stant brands you can also use the following thermostats for under $10:

Gates part number 33006S.

Stant economy version is 13006 and premium version is 45356.

Better to be smarter than you
    look then look smarter than
    you are.

THIS IS DANDEROUS, DON'T DO IT.
    If you change to a colder thermostat the ECU will need to be re-calibrated (retuned) or it will read that the car is not up to temperature and increase the fuel making the engine run incredibly rich. Like the choke on older cars.
    If this happens for prolonged periods the rich fuel will..
    1) wash the oil off the bores causing excessive engine wear.
    2) fouling of spark plugs.
    3) limiting of turbo boost as the ECU protect the engine from over boosting when cold.
    4) Coking up valves and turbo
    5) Coking up and blocking of the catalytic converter.
    Its like driving with the choke on with an older carburetor car people. DON'T DO IT.

As with the old Mustang, this car had a carburetor and the fuel mixture was calibrated mechanically, so you could even remove the thermostat on these cars without any real problem as they didn't have an ECU.
    Last edited by Zapper; 09-05-2016 at 07:06 PM.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
    THIS IS DANDEROUS, DON'T DO IT.
    If you change to a colder thermostat the ECU will need to be re-calibrated (retuned) or it will read that the car is not up to temperature and increase the fuel making the engine run incredibly rich. Like the choke on older cars.
    If this happens for prolonged periods the rich fuel will..
    1) wash the oil off the bores causing excessive engine wear.
    2) fouling of spark plugs.
    3) limiting of turbo boost as the ECU protect the engine from over boosting when cold.
    4) Coking up valves and turbo
    5) Coking up and blocking of the catalytic converter.
    Its like driving with the choke on with an older carburetor car people. DON'T DO IT.

As with the old Mustang, this car had a carburetor and the fuel mixture was calibrated mechanically, so you could even remove the thermostat on these cars without any real problem as they didn't have an ECU.
    Of the 100k + miles I put on the accent and 40k + miles on the VT so far the only con I can say it has is making the heat ~15°f cooler out of the vents. I monitor and/or log almost all of those miles so..........
    The mod actually made both cars run better/more efficiently.....
    Last edited by trdtoy; 09-05-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    -X- and Mr.MattyV like this.

Better to be smarter than you
    look then look smarter than
    you are.

Before Doing this People ask a qualified reputable engine tuner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links