Performance thermostat? - Page 3

Veloster Turbo Forum

Performance thermostat?

This is a discussion on Performance thermostat? within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Originally Posted by Zapper Before Doing this People ask a qualified reputable engine tuner. Correct. With all the parameters measured by the ECU I find ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Performance thermostat?

Successful Speeder

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper View Post
    Before Doing this People ask a qualified reputable engine tuner.
    Correct.
    With all the parameters measured by the ECU I find it kind of silly to think because you change a thermostat the ECU all of a sudden goes stupid and only pays attention to the coolant temps. The car is designed from the ground up to operate at a specific temp range. That begins at about 160 degrees in the coolant.
    Now if you want to completely rebuild the engine and retune to run at a different temp then more power to you but doing that on the OEM or even modified tune doesn't make sense because you have the same engine with the same tolerances.

Now if you find better ways to prevent heat soak and keep catalytic temps down then that's something that will increase power because those two alone will limit you if either is high.
    Zapper likes this.
    2016 VT-DCT, Tech PKG (Destroyed in Wreck)
    TUNED HP/TQ: 224/258(Mustang) 242/279(Dynojet)
    Performance:SXTH 3.5" CAI, SXTH PCV OCC, Mishimoto Breather OCC, Coolant Bypass, CAT delete, Uniq Perf Strut bar, Pierce Torsion Bar, ORHP, BOV and Tork Boost Control Solenoid, HKS M40XL Plugs, 845MS Cold Pipe with HKS SSQV4, 845MS HI-FLO Catted DP Lights:DD HID 5K low beams, DD Turn as Tail, modified reverse lights, Brake light pulser, DD LED Throughout, LaminX yellow fogs

This user has no status.

@Zapper: I've been tuning various platforms for 15 years now. What would you like to see in a data log to show no cons operation or power wise from the temps the colder thermostat produces vs the oem thermostat?

@leesrt: Per my monitoring and logging, operational parameters tune wise do not change much, if any, with coolant temps 160°f-204°f. Other tuners have not looked into this to confirm or have and keeping quiet.
    All I know is that changing to the colder thermostat on the oem tune stopped all misfires reported by both cars I was having on the oem thermostat. Also no power is being restricted by having the colder one in.

I told a reputable tuner of the VT back in 2/15 that it would benefit, which they denied until here recently. Unfortunately I'm unable to find the post that mentioned it.....It could of been deleted.....
    -X- likes this.

This user has no status.

So, a friend found the post I was referring to. Thanks, you know who you are!

Anyway, check out the 18 psi thread in performance section. For those who are lazy here are a few of the posts:
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-06-15-53-09.png
Views: 359
Size:  439.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-06-15-54-37.png
Views: 363
Size:  478.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-09-06-15-55-13.png
Views: 356
Size:  415.2 KB
    Voster, rspec2014, -X- and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Lit

gonna try & tackle this today, but need pics smh I really don't even know where to start.
    2016 VT Elite White 7-Speed DCT Tech Package
    Turbosocks 3.5' SRI | 3' Straight Pipe Catback Exhaust | Res-Delete Pipe | Motors Line Front Strut Bar | XE 3TBS | XE ORCP | XE XWEK
    | XE XPVS | 60mm TB | TB Bypass | HKS M45XL Plugs | MAP Sensor 39300-84400 | PUP 5W-30 | Breather & PCV & Oil Cap CSS Venting-to-Atmosphere

This user has no status.

It was a pain in the ass for me...mostly because my damn Alternator was stuck on there. Have some wd-40/pen oil just in case you run into the same prob. But you definitely should take the alternator off to gain access to the housing. I honestly don't see how anyone could do this unless doing so.

I changed out my Serp belt while at it. Have fun man!
    2014 A/T VT - Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake | ORCP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | Resonator Delete | 75A Mounts | WGA Adjusted | Rigid Collars | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Splash of flex fuel | RN-TUNED

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

Lit

Quote Originally Posted by MircFSC View Post
    It was a pain in the ass for me...mostly because my damn Alternator was stuck on there. Have some wd-40/pen oil just in case you run into the same prob. But you definitely should take the alternator off to gain access to the housing. I honestly don't see how anyone could do this unless doing so.

I changed out my Serp belt while at it. Have fun man!
    i gave up
    TyBardy likes this.
    Turbosocks 3.5' SRI | 3' Straight Pipe Catback Exhaust | Res-Delete Pipe | Motors Line Front Strut Bar | XE 3TBS | XE ORCP | XE XWEK
    | XE XPVS | 60mm TB | TB Bypass | HKS M45XL Plugs | MAP Sensor 39300-84400 | PUP 5W-30 | Breather & PCV & Oil Cap CSS Venting-to-Atmosphere

This user has no status.

Oh no, couldn't get the alternator off either? A friend of mine. His came off with ease 😳
    2014 A/T VT - Pierce Hi Flo Catless DP | 6EE Short Ram Intake | ORCP | 3TBS | 60mm TB | XPVS | Resonator Delete | 75A Mounts | WGA Adjusted | Rigid Collars | Generic OCC | 6EE Fuel Line | XWEK | 160 T-stat | 120 psi rad cap | DW65c fuel pump| Splash of flex fuel | RN-TUNED

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

Lit

Quote Originally Posted by MircFSC View Post
    Oh no, couldn't get the alternator off either? A friend of mine. His came off with ease 😳
    Not an easy job. & did not attempt to take the alternator off, got scurrrd :/

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by TooGqForYou View Post
    Not an easy job. & did not attempt to take the alternator off, got scurrrd :/
    Don't be scared man, taking off the alternator is very easy especially on this car. I just had a hard time cuz after almost 100k miles that thing was really on there lol nothing that a lil wd40 couldn't fix.

It's not a hard thing to do as a whole...just a little annoying. But I'm glad I did it. it's still chilly in AZ (coolant temps > 180 consistently) but I have peace of mind knowing they won't be too high for the summer months

shout out to @trdtoy for the recommendation to do the Tstat mod.
    TooGqForYou likes this.

1978 Datsun 280z - Stock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links