Performance thermostat?

Veloster Turbo Forum

Performance thermostat?

This is a discussion on Performance thermostat? within the Veloster Turbo Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; New here but been lurking for a while. Currently have a 2013 accent but looking to trade for a veloster turbo at some point. I ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Performance thermostat?

This user has no status.

Performance thermostat?

New here but been lurking for a while. Currently have a 2013 accent but looking to trade for a veloster turbo at some point.

I did some searching and reading but unable to find cooler thermostat install to aid in performance from anyone. Anyone done this yet? Heck I did this along with colder plugs on my accent to be able to run 87 without the engine spark knocking. No chasis dyno evidence however butt dyno feels better and timing a little different per scan tool. Also picked up some mpg but not much (~2%). Guessing the vt has 180 degree thermostat like the na version and accent? Put a 160 degree in my accent for less than $10 btw..... Lost pics or I would do a write up for everyone. Works well, cheap, takes maybe 1 hour with hand tools, with nothing but positive results. Nearly 30k miles so far no issues...

This user has no status.

All these cars with various performance mods and tunes and no one has cooler thermostat installed? Someone needs to do this mod to see gains from it.

BTW mishimoto makes thermostat down to 143 degrees which is near $50. Other brands make mostly 160+ range but you can get these $10-15 or less..... Most thermostats with 54mm flange should work. Plenty of room down there. I used thermostat made for a dodge v8 that was under $10 and 160 degree that is fairly small much like oem hyundai/kia thermostat because i did not know how much room was in there. After removing oem thermostat i realized i could of got away with installing most 54mm flanged thermostats out there. Oem gasket on thermostat can be transferred to new one with same flange diameter as well.

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

i dont think i follow. all it does is open up sooner...
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD! - TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap - Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - DZIII tires

2001 Emerald Green Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods - A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This VT is too much fun!

All a cooler T-stat will do is make the ECU think the engine is running cooler than it is, this in turn will make it use more fuel. Also, colder running engines are less efficient from a thermodynamic standpoint.

The Thermostat does 3 basic things:
    1) It regulates engine temp by its stated opening point.
    2) It prevents overheating by slowing the coolant flow thru the system, allowing heat transfer from the engine to the coolant and from the coolant out thru the radiator. (if coolant flows to fast, proper heat transfer wont happen effectively)
    3) It promotes faster warm ups which prevent the formation of condensation build ups in the engine. (Which is worse in cooler humid climates)
    Last edited by NEVL666; 04-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    2013 - Veloster Turbo - Century White - Black Interior/Grey Accents - A/T
    Piercemotorsports VT-One series Strut-brace
    Piercemotorsports Rear Torsion Bar
    MagnaFlow Cat-Back + 4" Flowmaster Tips
    K&N Drop-in Filter (Gone Back To Stock Intake)
    Front and Rear OJOCAM PRO2 HD dashcams
    Just call me Nevil the Devil

This user has no status.

Why not do a oil cooler if thats what your after. Mishimoto makes a thermo for that and doesn't open till a certain temp. This might keep you at the temp you desire .
    Iron man silver 6 M/T
    Lots of parts from Go fast parts to pierce bracing

parts just building up

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk24 View Post
    Why not do a oil cooler if thats what your after. Mishimoto makes a thermo for that and doesn't open till a certain temp. This might keep you at the temp you desire .
    I got a mishi cooler with thermostatic plate for that reason. The kit was only 272

This user has no status.

Cooler thermostat will help get rid of knock/ping if present, make current tune safer to run, or allow you to adjust timing for more power. Similar to running colder plugs, higher octane fuel, ect.....

VT retired.

Old carbureted 350 Chevy V8s supposedly produced more HP when running a 160 thermostat. Unsure if that would be the case with the VT.
    Retired: Ultra Black 2013 Veloster Turbo A/T.

Running: Casablanca White 2014 Genesis Coupe 2T M/T

This VT is too much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo 'ToonSter View Post
    Old carbureted 350 Chevy V8s supposedly produced more HP when running a 160 thermostat. Unsure if that would be the case with the VT.
    But old carb'd 350 chevy's didn't have ECU's trying to tweak everything to get the best gas mileage
    2013 - Veloster Turbo - Century White - Black Interior/Grey Accents - A/T
    Piercemotorsports VT-One series Strut-brace
    Piercemotorsports Rear Torsion Bar
    MagnaFlow Cat-Back + 4" Flowmaster Tips
    K&N Drop-in Filter (Gone Back To Stock Intake)
    Front and Rear OJOCAM PRO2 HD dashcams
    Just call me Nevil the Devil

This user has no status.

A cooler engine will allow for more timing to be run which equals more power regardless of carb or fuel injected/ computer controlled.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links