PSA: 2013 VT LSPI Recall 182

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on PSA: 2013 VT LSPI Recall 182 within the Veloster Turbo Problems / Help forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Finally. Sticky this, please, in all subforums, if possible. “NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V204000 Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, ENGINE Potential Number of Units ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PSA: 2013 VT LSPI Recall 182

This user has no status.

Finally. Sticky this, please, in all subforums, if possible.

“NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V204000

Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, ENGINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 16,487

Summary

Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2013 Veloster vehicles that are equipped with 1.6 liter turbo engines. The engine management software may cause premature ignition (pre-ignition) of the air/fuel mixture in the engine. The resulting excessive cylinder pressure may damage the engine.”

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/H...LOSTER#recalls
    geekdragon and lil_buddy like this.

Spoiler alert

Honestly, I'm curious what it took to finally make it official.
    2016 Veloster Rally Edition - Build Thread
    Performance: SXTH Remote Tune, SRI, Shifter Bushings / 60mm TB / Xenon ORHP, ORCP, 3TBS, XPVS / NST Crank & WP pulleys / CNT Catback / Turbosmart Kompact BOV / Tork Boost Solenoid
    Handling: Pierce Rear Torsion Bar / Uniq Rigid Collars / Rev 75A Mount Insert Interior: JCS Pillar Pod / Defi Boost & Volt Gauges
    Exterior: 20% Tint / Hyundai Canada Hood Protector / Molded-in 'Devil' Style Spoiler Misc: Xenon XWEK / Saikou Michi OCC / Cerma Treatments

No status does this user have.

Forgive my ignorance, but will this only be for US models, i.e. will the recall extend to Canada?
    2013 VT, M/T, Marathon Blue
    Performance Axle-Back Exhaust
    ARK GT-F Springs
    DD 6000k HID Low's
    TS Strut Tower Brace
    Rigid Collars
    Intercooler Resonator Delete
    Dual PIAA Horns
    Shifter Cable Bushings
    225/40R18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06
    Coming Soon: ADD-W1 Catch Can, Shifter Base Bushings

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

Veloster like a roadster

Odd. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad but my 13 is not covered under this recall.
    100% Stock. Original Rods. 74k miles
    Accessories: Bell roof rack, Whistler radar detector, Cheap dashcam, 2 Graco carseats, Baby on Board sticker, EZ Drain oil valve, quick release bumper clips.
    Future Plans: When its paid off which coincides with the warranty being up: Set of Winter and Summer tires each on separate rims, exhaust, intake, BOV.
    Maintenance: 5w30 Full Synthetic Dexos 2 Castrol GTX MAGNATEC. Change every 3,000 miles and fill up with Regular gasoline.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by geekdragon View Post
    Honestly, I'm curious what it took to finally make it official.
    Once enough issues are reported that's a safety concern something has to happen. I'm just curious if they're doing this and will not replace engines anymore that may let go?
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

Watching people do their thing

They only did this because of the fire investigation. They found that early VTs were blowing engines and that could cause potential fires.
    2016 VT Rally Edition

Elantra Sport Airbox Swap | ORCP | XWEK | 3TBS | 60MM TB w/ coolant bypass | SXTH Cable End Bushings | SXTH Fuel Line

Tuned by me

Veloster like a roadster

Just figured out the VIN search isn't pulling any of the VTs yet. They might be waiting for dealers to notify owners until they update the database. Does anyone know how many 2013 Veloster Turbos were built/sold in the US?

There were 30,711 Veloster's sold in 2013. I'm just going to guess that 16,487 of those were Veloster Turbo's.
    Last edited by Roadster; 04-02-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    100% Stock. Original Rods. 74k miles
    Accessories: Bell roof rack, Whistler radar detector, Cheap dashcam, 2 Graco carseats, Baby on Board sticker, EZ Drain oil valve, quick release bumper clips.
    Future Plans: When its paid off which coincides with the warranty being up: Set of Winter and Summer tires each on separate rims, exhaust, intake, BOV.
    Maintenance: 5w30 Full Synthetic Dexos 2 Castrol GTX MAGNATEC. Change every 3,000 miles and fill up with Regular gasoline.

This user has no status.

Read through the NHTSA documentation a few times, sounds like they will notify owners May 13. Guessing a search of the vin on NHTSA will not be live for this recall until they do the notifications. In addition to the NHTSA site, you may want to keep an eye on the Hyundai Recalls site too. Looks like this impacts 2013 models built before they implemented new software October 17, 2013. Sounds like if your was built April 26, 2012 through Oct. 16, 2013 you will have a recall. If you look on the sticker on the driver side door jamb, it will give you a build date. I was October 2012.
    Last edited by dhausman; 04-02-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Roadster likes this.

This user has no status.

I have an early 2013 Veloster Turbo. I know that at one point in the past, when I brought it in for service they did an ECU update for some other issue. Would that have updated the software to a version that had the problem fixed already? (i.e. Is this recall only going to be for vehicles still on the originally shipped firmware version?)

This user has no status.

Just an FYI update. I own a 2013, produced April 19th 2013 (2 days before my birthday oddly enough) , and have not yet received anything on this recall. Has anyone else seen anything yet?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links