High RPM engine cut-out - possible causes other than fuel line?

Veloster Turbo Forum

High RPM engine cut-out - possible causes other than fuel line?

This is a discussion on High RPM engine cut-out - possible causes other than fuel line? within the Veloster Turbo Problems / Help forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; Hi all, hope you find yourselves well this Saturday. Long-time lurker here, bought my 13 VT in April of 2016. I love my car. Having ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: High RPM engine cut-out - possible causes other than fuel line?

This user has no status.

Question High RPM engine cut-out - possible causes other than fuel line?

Hi all, hope you find yourselves well this Saturday. Long-time lurker here, bought my 13 VT in April of 2016. I love my car. Having a problem lately with the engine cutting out hard at high-RPM (5500 - 6000). I replaced the fuel line with an upgraded aftermarket and I'm still having the problem.

Power Mods:
    BTR Tune, K&N Intake, Cat delete, XE BOV Solenoid, IC Res delete
    Maintenance done recently:
    Oil Change with CERMA EVO, New plugs and coil packs, new crankshaft position sensor (unrelated)

Anyone else dealt with this issue even after replacing fuel line?
    I'm thinking fuel pump, but I know there's a high pressure pump and a low pressure pump. If I run a scanner, what should I be looking for?
    No codes have popped on the ECU at all.

This user has no status.

Any misfire codes in "pending"... P0300-P0304? Code P0087 (low fuel pressure)?

What octane fuel you running (hopefully 91+).

What brand and type plugs and coils did you buy? I made the mistake of buying aftermarket coils, which are a no-no on these cars. OEM coils only. With your tune, did you go with a colder heat range plug? Consensus of popular opinion on here is the 2013's came with too hot a heat range plug even for non-tuned/modded engines, so hopefully you went with at least a heat range 7 NGK, if not heat range 8 depending on your level of tune.

On a scanner, look for HPF readings above 1800 psi (readings above 2k are not abnormal) at those RPM's.

I'm new here too, and still learning, but this is what I have been told so far.

Rich
    Last edited by Richtazz; 04-27-2019 at 04:23 PM.

This user has no status.

Thanks for the reply, Rich.
    No codes stored at all, unfortunately.
    I run 93 only, that's what I'm tuned for
    All OEM coils, I work at a body shop so I buy direct from a dealership. Right now I temporarily have Autolite XP5703's installed, but I had this problem with my HKS plugs as well.
    I will try to get ahold of the scanner at work on lunch one day this week to check out fuel pressure readings

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

my bad, posted twice
    Last edited by MooCowX; 04-27-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: double post

This user has no status.

The plugs need to be changed to something better. Be sure coils are for a VT and not a NAV. The crankshaft position sensor has been known to cause these issues.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Thanks, TRD - I really appreciate your depth of knowledge on these cars.
    I'm planning on ordering NGK SILZKR7E8EG plugs based off of what I've read, unless you think I'd be better off with something else.
    I did give last 8 of the VIN when I ordered my coils, but I will double-check my invoices at work tomorrow to make sure he sent me the right ones. He gets busy and has messed up stuff before. This all started around when I had the first coil go bad, I replaced that and then the CPS went bad (RPM guage started going to 0 while driving and car would start limping). The first CPS I got was defective (car wouldn't run hardly at all - would rev to 2000 at start-up then die) - so I had to switch that out AGAIN.
    Long story, short - after replacing first coil and CPS twice and returning to spirtited driving, that's when I noticed this issue first arose.
    Do you think I could have a SECOND defective CPS?

This user has no status.

State total mileage on the engine, please.

This user has no status.

You want to run HKS M45XL or NGK R2556G-9 plugs with .028" or smaller gap and all gapped the same.

Yes, the CPS could be bad or simply installed wrong causing the issue.

You could also have another issue.

Post the part number on the coils here to confirm you have the correct ones.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Test your main chassis grounding points (two strut towers) with a multimeter to get ohm values. Pics showing the values would be helpful.

This user has no status.

E9C - I have just under 73500 on the car. I'll test grounding points on lunch or after work and get pics.
    TRD - I installed the CPS myself on lift at work, how can I check to make sure I installed properly? I'll pull the coils as well to check part numbers inscribed on them. As an aside, I'm the parts manager at the shop. I've gotten parts bagged wrong, boxed wrong, VINs decode wrong, etc. (especially with Hyundai / Kia, unfortunately). I should have known better and double-checked the part numbers before I installed. I'll see which of those plugs I can acquire through my vendors at work, if not I'll order online.
    Last edited by MooCowX; 04-28-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add two things

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links