A few track day thoughts from an A/T guy

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on A few track day thoughts from an A/T guy within the Veloster Turbo Road Racing forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Racing category; Hey guys, 2014 VT A/T guy here. So I managed to get a couple track days a month ago and I've noticed a few things ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A few track day thoughts from an A/T guy

yikes

Hey guys, 2014 VT A/T guy here.

So I managed to get a couple track days a month ago and I've noticed a few things that I'd love to get some feedback on:

1) The A/T seems to stop allowing you to shift on your own after a while... I'd say 10-12 mins into a session, the A/T reverts back to "S" (Sports Mode) and doesn't allow for any manual shifting. Any one experience this? I installed an ATF cooler that sits above the crash bar this summer, so I was expecting the trans to be much more capable of handling the heat.

2) The car doesn't like throttle through the corner. At all. Traction Control is off, but I still feel the car not putting the power down coming out of a corner. Open diff is to blame maybe?

Thoughts on the car in general:

1a) Even with the Pierce Rear Torsion bar, the rear of the car doesn't like to be upset--especially under braking, and ESPECIALLY where bumps/curbs are concerned. Gotta be very carful with the brake pedal thru turn in.

1b) That said, the pierce race brake kit gives me so much more braking force, that I don't think I've fully readjusted my expectations for what the new brakes can do once the pads get to their optimal temps. So there's that.

2) With a nice set of tires, rigid collars, and a strut bar, the front end on this car is really really great!! I tracked last year in some General AS-03 all seasons, and it was fun, but a little frustrating. Went back with the Firestone Indy 500 Summer Tires, and I didn't once sense any push thru any part of a corner. Really kinda surprising given the stock suspension is a sponge. More on that below.

3) I hate this car's shocks. I hate the springs, I hate the sketchyness! It seems almost miraculous that a car can have this bumpy of a ride, but still feel so under-damped. Grip seems good, but the setup is literally jarring for the fist inch of its travel, then nobody's home after that.. Once the car is set, it feels really good, but the initial sponginess really hampers what really feels like a really fantastic front end.

4) She overheats... Is that something you guys ever see? Are there rad upgrades that anyone's ever looked into? Temps on the day was 22C day 1, and 16C day 2.

Day 1 I got 10-12min, day 2 felt like at least 15.

That's all I can think of right now. I really feel like if Hyundai gave this car the tires and suspension it deserved, it'd be almost as revered as a the STs or GTIs are. With my mods, on even surfaces, it doesn't feel any less capable than the FiST I got to drive on track that day. Over bumps, you definitely feel the wheel bouncing and hopping and it's genuinely sketchy. But I feel like that's really a solvable problem.

Anyways, which coilovers are most recommended for a mix of good track performance that won't beat you up too much on the road. I've got a good tolerance for stiffness if I know the shocks aren't gotta just take a dump at the limit. Or is a lowering spring/koni/camber plates setup a better route.
    2014 VT AT Matte Grey

Tork Stage 1 Tune | Injen CAI | NGK 1422 Spark Plugs | SOLO Downpipe | SOLO Exhaust | ORHP | TurboXS Hybrid BOV | 6EE Dual Catch Cans

Pierce Strut Bar | Pierce Torsion Bar | Rigid Collars

This user has no status.

For the overheating part, better coolant (AMSOIL HD) and a colder (160° F) thermostat would help. AT cooler is definitely a good idea. Better oil cooler is really only needed if this is a dedicated track car. Interesting about manual mode auto-disabling. Hope you are running better trans fluid (CERMA, Red Line D4/D6 ATF, AMSOIL SS, etc.).

This user has no status.

What ATF cooler was used and how was it hooked up?

Better intake, plugs, intercooler or water/meth, and 160°f thermostat, radiator cap, coolant, heat reduction/venting, etc would all benefit you greatly for both more power and keeping things cooler and functioning properly.
    TooGqForYou likes this.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

'14 VT Vitamin-C base manual

2) tires.... tires will absolutely fix this.

1a, 1b) the trouble with race brakes on a street car, you'll never have them up to optimal temp and bite unless you're tracking the car. you're going to be readjusting yourself everytime you drive on track. they will always feel like you're not at the limit because of this. i had this trouble with the porterfield vtrs pads. they sucked on the street. i actually set faster lap times on crappier brakes because i was more comfortable with the braking limit.

2, 3) the suspension isn't terrible for track... you may not be smooth. smoothness is rewarded through speed and lap times. if you PM me i'll link you to some of my videos. they look boring...

4) never had an overheating problem on hotter days.
    2012 Boston Red Veloster NA Base Manual BTRcc tuned 167whp / 138wtq SOLD! - TK.COM CAI/catback - Nameless poly motor mount - BTRcc 89 octane tune

2014 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo Base Manual
    K&N panel filter - Nameless poly motor mount - Curt hitch - CF filler cap - Hawk ceramic pads - PMS torsion bar - UNIQ front strut bar - DZIII tires

2001 Emerald Green Kia Rio Manual
    Overhauled suspension - H&R springs - 1Gb control arms / torsion rods - A6D 1.6L DOHC swap complete!

yikes

Quote Originally Posted by E9C900A View Post
    For the overheating part, better coolant (AMSOIL HD) and a colder (160° F) thermostat would help. AT cooler is definitely a good idea. Better oil cooler is really only needed if this is a dedicated track car. Interesting about manual mode auto-disabling. Hope you are running better trans fluid (CERMA, Red Line D4/D6 ATF, AMSOIL SS, etc.).
    Thanks for he replies guys.

So I’ve done CERMA everything. Turbo, treatment, fuel, and ATF treatment.

Coolant is indeed Amsoil HD, Trans fluid is Amsoil, and oil is Amsoil Signature.

trdtoy has recommended me the 160 thermostat before, but it’s getting to be winter here in Toronto, so I’m likely gonna make the change in spring.

Either way, is 10-15 minutes of straight track time about expected on a 20C day? Has anyone gone longer with no issues? It seemed about right for a street car but just wanted confirmation. I think temps got up to 230-240 before she started giving me dash warnings. Not 100 percent sure of exactly when though.

The transcooler is some universal one I got off amazon. Actually looks like overkill for the application though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3DDKO..._wRCaAb7G50F10

After installing, I did notice ATF temps not rise as quickly, but I still get locked out of manual mode after some time. Unfortunately, dash command on iPhone doesn’t give atf temps so I can’t tell u exactly when. Has anyone tracked the VT AT this long and not seen that happen?
    2014 VT AT Matte Grey

Tork Stage 1 Tune | Injen CAI | NGK 1422 Spark Plugs | SOLO Downpipe | SOLO Exhaust | ORHP | TurboXS Hybrid BOV | 6EE Dual Catch Cans

This user has no status.

The only radiator replacement I've seen is one from Korea which at the time (3-4 years ago) was $1000 USD.

You've done most of the inexpensive stuff, except the colder thermostat.

Haven't seen anyone else with a legacy AT (or DCT, for that matter) run on a track.

At this point, doing further heat reduction will likely get expensive; vented hood, additional coolant reservoir, better radiator, etc.

You could also try running straight water with a water wetter-type additive and a higher pressure cap, but only during summer months (obviously).

Pretty clear that the ECM and/or TCM is nixing manual mode as a protection mechanism in response to high heat conditions.

yikes

Quote Originally Posted by RPW00Mirage View Post
    2) tires.... tires will absolutely fix this.

1a, 1b) the trouble with race brakes on a street car, you'll never have them up to optimal temp and bite unless you're tracking the car. you're going to be readjusting yourself everytime you drive on track. they will always feel like you're not at the limit because of this. i had this trouble with the porterfield vtrs pads. they sucked on the street. i actually set faster lap times on crappier brakes because i was more comfortable with the braking limit.

2, 3) the suspension isn't terrible for track... you may not be smooth. smoothness is rewarded through speed and lap times. if you PM me i'll link you to some of my videos. they look boring...

4) never had an overheating problem on hotter days.
    Thanks Mirage,

Glad I’m not alone on the brakes. The porter field pads are a little dicey until they heat up. But at that point I think they’re great! Just a mental adjustment as you said.

You could also be right on the smoothness. I’ve only been to the track a handful of times so I could just be overdriving the car. Do you run Stock suspension? Can’t see you sig on Tapatalk.

My biggest beef is generally that the car isn’t as forgiving whilst multitasking. As in braking, turning, and soaking up bumps.

There’s an s turn at my local track that has a weird bump right at the second turns apex. Problem is, thru the turn you also have to set up for a fairly tight left turn right after. The best line is over 2nd curb (and bump) while braking and putting in a little right lock to set up for the following left. The car HATES this sequence and I’ve spun it there twice just trying to handle it all.

So yeah, I’ll admit it could be skill, but it also felt a little less awkward in a FiST I drove and a type r I was driven in. Hoping coilovers help.
    2014 VT AT Matte Grey

This user has no status.

You may be able to get away using the ATF cooler you have now but not sure. Really need to see what your ATF temps are to determine that.

But ideally you want a large cooler of same design you have for both ATF and engine oil that are higher temp thermostat controlled. Both of which need to be installed in line just before fluid/oil returns to its reservoir. Then put a 160°f thermostat in the car as well for engine coolant.

If you do this you should have no issues year round with the thermostat for engine coolant. If the additional coolers are not thermostatically controlled you will have coolant temps drop too low at times in really cold ambient at which point a 170°f thermostat may suffice.

Basically the temp thermostat for engine coolant will need to be determined based on how effective and how the auxiliary coolers are setup, or just the opposite.

The 160°f thermostat itself will only lower oil temps a few degrees but will lower engine coolant and ATF temps nearly 20°f compared to the stock thermostat.

Would be good to see a data log of ATF, CVVT, and ECT during your track sessions and normal driving to determine the cooling needs.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' 2.073
    1/8 8.752 @ 85.68 MPH
    1/4 13.421 @ 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

You can view his signature in Tapatalk by tapping on his avatar and swiping up to bring it fully into view.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
    Would be good to see a data log of ATF, CVVT, and ECT during your track sessions and normal driving to determine the cooling needs.
    He doesn't have Torque Pro (TqP), he's using DashCommander.

@Bauss
    Need Android device, TqP + HADV plugin for logging of CVVT (oil) and AT temps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links