HELP! Replacing 2016 Veloster Rally Edition Stock Tires

Veloster Turbo Forum

This is a discussion on HELP! Replacing 2016 Veloster Rally Edition Stock Tires within the Veloster Wheels and Tires forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Garage category; I'm just wondering who out here has the 2016 Veloster Rally Edition and has found a really good substitute for the awful stock tires - ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stephie27

Thread: HELP! Replacing 2016 Veloster Rally Edition Stock Tires

This user has no status.

I'm just wondering who out here has the 2016 Veloster Rally Edition and has found a really good substitute for the awful stock tires - I've got a bubble in the sidewall of one of my tires and need to replace it - and I cant bring myself to spend money to put that same stock tire on the car. So I am going to replace all 4 with something that will give a smoother ride without giving up a ton of performance. Anyway, I'm just wondering what other people have used that worked well. I have a 225/40R18 Kumho Solus as the stock tire on the car now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    lil_buddy likes this.

This user has no status.

I went down a rim size and put pirelli pzero all seasons on my focus rs and was amazed how harsh they were. If I was doing it over, I'd go with Michelins for improved ride quality.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Where do you live and what are you looking for in a tire? Are you wanting to just get new tires or tires and wheels? Budget?
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

alg
    This user has no status.

Have the same setup but with shiny paint!
    Went with Michelin M4. I live where it does not rain much, and these tires work excellent in all conditions for me.

The difference from the Kumho is significant.
    On hard cornering the outside wheel does not hunt around for the line you are on. it stays planted and goes where you point it and seems to handle bumps well in high speed turns.
    If you have traction control enabled, it will come on wayyy less with the Michelins. Its amazing how much traction you dont get with the Kumho.
    Ride seems smoother in some way - almost like there is more rubber on the road damping out a little noise and vibration (compared to Kumho)

The Michelins were my first replacement tire, so have not had experience with any others.

Its been 12000 miles on the tires and they are still excellent and allow me to drive the VT very hard. Looks like I could get 50K out of them if I keep rotating.

Good luck!
    2016 Veloster Turbo MT
    Hesitation Package, Bad Hyundai Dealer Package,
    Disintegrating Interior Package
    Mods:
    Odor management system: Royal Pine, XMas Tree
    Disaster Package: Hyundai spare tire
    Tork Motorsports Short Shifter
    Tork Motorsports Boost Solenoid
    Tork Motorsports Tune
    ONLY 1 small Tork Motorsports sticker. Just 1, and it was green.

Insane, and Happily modding
    his R-Spec.

In my opinion it all depends if you need All Season tires or Summer tire's? I live in northern PA and after my wife kept stealing my car in the mornings we decided to trade her 2011 Tucson for 2019 VT2 Rspec. the only problem is the Rspec only comes with Michelin P4 summer tire's(Great if you live in Cali.) and we got the car in September, I bought my wife a set of Continental Extreme DWS06. Now I'm stock with a set of Michelin P4 with only 900 - 1200 miles on them.
    Stock 2015 R-Spec Ultra Black M/T
    So much to do, And How to Hide it from the Wife?

This user has no status.

Thanks for the info!! I live in Northern NJ and commute to Newark,NJ every day for work. I looked at the Michelin's at the recommendation of a friend - I have an Uncle that works in a Goodyear shop and suggested the Eagle Sport A/S - I did a alot of reading reviews and price comparing on websites like Tire Rack - While I didn't want a budget tire I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on the tires - I finally decided (after ALOT of hemming and hawing) to go with the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. I just had them put on at the dealership late yesterday (they were doing a buy 3 get one for $1 sale) so I'm still not sure I can give an opinion on them just yet other than they are clearly better than the Kumho tires the car came with!! I definitely feel a difference in cornering. I am curious to see how they wear and there were some reviews that said the tires wore very prematurely and others who said they got the full 45K the manufacturer states!! So I guess only time will tell with that but I rotate my tires regularly and do not drive my Rally tooooo hard - buuuuut the roads in Jersey (particularly Newark) are awful!!! I'm waiting for the first rain with these tires as I felt my old tires would hydroplane pretty easily - so I'm hoping for a little better performance on wet roads!!

I wasn't planning changing the tires just yet - I thought I'd have a lot of time to research the best tire - and then I got this bubble in the sidewall and with the roads in Newark I knew I was just asking for trouble driving it any longer than I absolutely had too. I have my fingers crossed that these tires were the right choice, although I do think I may have to take the car somewhere for a better tire balancing - it doesn't feel quite right in the rear end.

This user has no status.

BFG Comp-2 A/S is one of the better ones. Just make sure you go with a larger 235/40R18 for better ride quality and handling.

This user has no status.

245/40 or 255/35 in the BFG are very good.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

This user has no status.

Those come in 225/45/18 more side wall. I know not much but I live in nj to more is definitely needed with our roads that have deteriorated badly over last few years. I have Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+. I got 45k almost 50k but they are shot at this point. Not a bad ride just mediocre in snow. If you can afford to run snow tires too it makes s huge difference.

Sponsored Links