Engine differences?

Veloster Turbo Forum

Engine differences?

This is a discussion on Engine differences? within the VT2 Discussions forums, part of the Veloster Turbo Forum category; I was watching a guy on YouTube putting in a BOV with the bumper attached!! Anyway it got me thinking about what else they changed ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Engine differences?

This user has no status.

Engine differences?

I was watching a guy on YouTube putting in a BOV with the bumper attached!! Anyway it got me thinking about what else they changed and what also might be useful to older cars? Like improved J pipes (not saying it has that but could be cool to look into) anybody got pics documenting the bay without the engine cover?
    Last edited by Flareon; 05-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    13 Veloster Turbo Base AT
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

Premium Member
    This user has no status.

I'm confused with what you're trying to accomplish... you already have mods according to your signature. I assume you have an idea of how to turn a wrench.
    '13 Veloster Turbo w/ Ultimate Package
    Performance
    Custom FMIC Kit
    HKS SSQV 4
    TS SRI 3.5"
    HF DP Cat
    SOLO w/Magnaflow Resonator
    Tork Pipe
    BIP Tune (40whp - 70ft/lb)

Appearance
    XENON HIDS 4300K
    NGM v2 BetaMax Coilovers
    Avant Garde M310 18 x 8.5
    Hood Vents
    Favorite quote on VT:
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvt View Post
    I wish my wife would approve additional funds like that, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock;
    Thorough screening prior to marriage.

This user has no status.

Engine differences?

Huh? I don’t have a 19 to look at the engine bay.

I want to look at the changes from the previous gen because so much looks similar. Some of the best car mods for other brands are retrofits. Like bigger TBs or Subarus with 6 speed swaps for example.
    Last edited by Flareon; 05-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

4. Remove Advertisements
    VelosterTurbo.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

The engine in the 19 VT is more alike to the Elantra Sport/GT than the previous gen VT. I don't think there would much stuff that would be backwards compatible with the 1st gen VT. If you want to see pics of the engine bay of the 2nd gen, check out my Build Thread here.
    Flareon likes this.
    2019 VT Ultimate

Dyno: 193 HP/220 TQ (Stock), 233 HP/258 TQ (BTR)

Performance: SXTH FMIC Kit, 3.5" SRI w/Airaid Filter/Velocity Stack, Axle-back Exhaust, BTR Tuned ECU, HKS M45XL, Boomba BOV
    Maintenance: JEGS Air/Oil Breather Filter, Mightymouse PCV OCC, Amsoil HD Coolant, Castrol GTX Magnatec Oil
    Suspension: SXTH Rear Sway Bar, Motor Mount
    Exterior: Enkei Fujin 18x8 Rims, DD SL1 LED High Beams, VTN Spoiler

Current Project: Custom Switchback DRL Lights

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by perrikwp View Post
    The engine in the 19 VT is more alike to the Elantra Sport/GT than the previous gen VT. I don't think there would much stuff that would be backwards compatible with the 1st gen VT. If you want to see pics of the engine bay of the 2nd gen, check out my Build Thread here.
    Pretty much what I was looking for. Not what I expected to find. I wish they’d changed the look a bit less since you say it drives better in every way. But this is life. (Love my gen 1 anyway) DCT horror stories scared me back to manual when I picked up the 16. How’s the DCT treating you?
    Turbo Got Dam it
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
    Pretty much what I was looking for. Not what I expected to find. I wish they’d changed the look a bit less since you say it drives better in every way. But this is life. (Love my gen 1 anyway) DCT horror stories scared me back to manual when I picked up the 16. How’s the DCT treating you?
    I never really had any of major issues with the DCT in the previous gen that others had mentioned, but it definitely feels a lot more refined in the 2nd gen. Even with the BTR tune that bumped up the torque from 220 to 258, I don't really have any issues with slippage or other problems.
    Flareon likes this.
    2019 VT Ultimate

Dyno: 193 HP/220 TQ (Stock), 233 HP/258 TQ (BTR)

Performance: SXTH FMIC Kit, 3.5" SRI w/Airaid Filter/Velocity Stack, Axle-back Exhaust, BTR Tuned ECU, HKS M45XL, Boomba BOV
    Maintenance: JEGS Air/Oil Breather Filter, Mightymouse PCV OCC, Amsoil HD Coolant, Castrol GTX Magnatec Oil
    Suspension: SXTH Rear Sway Bar, Motor Mount
    Exterior: Enkei Fujin 18x8 Rims, DD SL1 LED High Beams, VTN Spoiler

Current Project: Custom Switchback DRL Lights

This user has no status.

You're looking from parts from gen2 velosters that will fit a gen1?
    If so, I've been in a similar quest except with a forte sx. (which explains my low post count here)

There are a few resources available to help your search.
    But first, its the same motor. 1.6 Gamma T-GDI (G4FJ). Things have changed overtime. We all know that the rods changed early in gen1 but the engine has maintained the G4FJ designation the whole time as far as I am aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine
    "The engine has been revised in the 2nd Generation Veloster Turbo to include a new pressurized cooling system, higher compression ratio of 10, electronically actuated wastegate, and a new ECU (CPEGD2.20.3)."

Overall engine output remains the same 201hp/195tq. But the peak torque occurs in the gen2 250 rpms lower and is maintained until 4500 rpms in both.
    Which is likely explained by the compression ratio moving from 9.5:1 to 10.0:1.

So, we can assume that the head, head gasket, and/or pistons have likely changed.

You can use one of the many oem parts sites to compare parts over different years.
    https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/auto...at/engine-scat

A lot of parts numbers change slightly overtime. So be aware of that.

Some parts that have made a noticeable change.
    Cylinder head - the 2018 elantra gt now has "-s" at the end of the parts number
    turbocharger - the parts number jumped by about 100. a lot of times I have noticed maybe a jump of 10.
    pistons - parts number have all changed but not by a lot...

The reason I mention the turbocharger is because with a noticeable increase in compression I would expect more of a difference in overall output AND I heard a rumor that the newer turbos were smaller (although I have no idea if that part is true). Of course the ECU could have a lot to do with that too. Like decreasing boost since compression has raised anyway.

Anyway, thats just some stuff that I have observed. A lot of it is speculation. But I too hope that someone finds some parts that can be swapped back and forth to make some oem+ type improvements.
    Good luck on your search! I will continue to lurk and see if anyone comes up with something.
    Flareon likes this.

This user has no status.

Engine differences?

Exactly that. I remember an old coworker who put Altima cams in a 240sx for a sizable bump in power. I think he said it made 20-30hp. Worth studying parts an pics for sure.
    Turbo Got Dam it
    1/2 Gut
    TB Coolant bypass
    Modded airbox
    BPV to BOV
    More to come

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
    Exactly that. I remember an old coworker who put Altima cams in a 240sx for a sizable bump in power. I think he said it made 20-30hp. Worth studying parts an pics for sure.
    If I remember correctly, the cams are the same for all variants of the engine. With variable cam timing on most modern cars all there is to gain really would be lift. Timing and maybe duration can be adjusted.

The higher compression parts are what to focus on. A higher static compression will increase torque across the board and deliver power earlier.

I think I saw in perrikwp's build thread that he was seeing boost peak at ~13psi (compared to ~18 on v1s). Which would make sense too and explain the overall identical output numbers from hyundai. (Although he did dyno stock at higher than those... i think even possibly showing 15% higher torque... dont quote me on that part)

I believe the newer model using the 1.6t gamma also have a new intercooler set up. Not sure how that performs. Probably better than the old one.
    Flareon likes this.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lephoenix View Post
    If I remember correctly, the cams are the same for all variants of the engine. With variable cam timing on most modern cars all there is to gain really would be lift. Timing and maybe duration can be adjusted.

The higher compression parts are what to focus on. A higher static compression will increase torque across the board and deliver power earlier.

I think I saw in perrikwp's build thread that he was seeing boost peak at ~13psi (compared to ~18 on v1s). Which would make sense too and explain the overall identical output numbers from hyundai. (Although he did dyno stock at higher than those... i think even possibly showing 15% higher torque... dont quote me on that part)

I believe the newer model using the 1.6t gamma also have a new intercooler set up. Not sure how that performs. Probably better than the old one.
    The tunes and many parts used are different between different model year VT. The 19 is the most different as it shares more with the ES than the VT.

Perrikwp peak boost with stock tune on the dyno was 15.2-15.7 psi and dropped to 11-13 psi area just before the shift near redline. This is a little lower than previous VT models under the same conditions.

Stock tune he did dyno higher than previous VT years typically do however partially because he also had an intake and FMIC on the car as well which does add some power in areas.

The 19 does have a different intercooler setup that cools the air a little better but has more pressure drop as well which hurts flow and power compared to the previous design. This is why when the same FMIC is added to both cars on a tune that does not restrict power the 19 will see more gains due to the more restrictive OEM setup.
    Flareon likes this.
    '15 Auto VT

PB's with slips and video:

60' ET 2.05
    1/8 ET 8.70
    1/8 MPH 85.68 MPH
    1/4 ET 13.421
    1/4 MPH 105.57 MPH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links