Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 307 Posts

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Snail, I wish I still lived in baton rouge... Loved No Problem raceway! I also think we'd be good friends, as I'm super cool! LMAO! Nice runs btw, I'll have to go check your thread to see what all you got done to it! Also was this done on the stock IC iirc!? If so, not bad as you were seeing consistent numbers with so many runs. Confirms my faith in the stock IC.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Cars broke. :p Just kidding. Ummm... BOV or no? Smoke test yet for the vaccumn to see if there's any leaks you may be missing?

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm leaning more towards a possible missed vac leak... best sign is timing and afr's are both off. That's just my guess, rechecking can never hurt.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
It's about 2-3 days. 1 day for you to ship to them, 1 day for them to tune, 1 day for them to ship back.
What octane was you running at the track last night? And did you end up running with both filters like you was talking bout on the filter thread?

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Same gas I always use: Shell 93.
I finally ran some 93 in my VT for the first time since it's oil change last week, so far I've noticed a good difference on combustion/reaction from the car feel, but I also noticed i'm avg'ing about 2.7mpg less on fuel economy lol! I think I'll stick with 89 (hard to find 91 round here) til she hits the track. I'm hoping to get a track run in next weekend before I decide if i'm going to delve into spending the money on a tune.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
While this is nice and all, we have other factors to add in.

1. Are you a 2014 (different base map tune on 14's for one)? Which we all know to be a better tune.
2. What elevation are you at in Ohio?
3. Temp/Baro Pressure?
4. How much lighter are the wheels over stock? You dropped to 17's I see.
5. What size tire difference are you running now? Specifically height.

Lots of things can contribute to being faster at the track, I did it for almost 15 years til I had children. I still will, once I can get a break from work lol! First and foremost though, removing all that weight he did, might've gotten him 2/10's a second. It's ROUGHLY 1 tenth for every 100 lbs.. this has been known to fluctuate, especially in lighter cars so he could be gaining closer to 3 or 4 tenths as I don't know how heavy the seats are (front and back). Lastly, the biggest thing that will make for a good time is driver mod, it's the most important one. Lot's of time on the track accounts for knowing things to do, like when to shift, how to launch, feeling which way the car reacts to better, reading time slips and picking up where you need to, etc. I had a bone stock rebuilt 302 in my 85 GT and I took it to the track omw back into town and pulled a 14.2 and bout shit my pants. Soo.. that lead to only one thing, 15 years worth of playing with the Stang and drag racing/autox'ing it with my dad til one day she decided to butt kiss a F150. :\

Good on you for your run Nova, hope to see some more posted and some more great runs!

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Answers in red.
You gained little to nothing on the wheel weight I believe lol. Basically looks like you just had a good driver mod and the temp wasn't too bad for some runs! Nice running Nova!

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Stock rims are ~26 lbs., stock tires are ~23 lbs.

Dropping 6 lbs. of unsprung weight on each corner while using a taller profile tire is a pretty significant improvement.
Specifically dropping 6lbs on the front at each tire makes nice too, plus he's got beefier tire on smaller rims than ours which gives more rubber to support the car for nicer launches and shifts for sure. Honestly, i'm not surprised he pulled off the time he did.

Reactions: -X-

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Went back last night. Went 14.58
Weather was 10* warmer compared to last week when she ran 14.55.
Traction was also an issue this week (short times were averaging 2.35 last night and 2.20 last week).
Given that we ran a nearly identical ET with a 60' time that was .15 slower, we are on the right track.
Will be going back in a week or two to try and further dial in the launch.

As for the actual eliminations, she lost on a breakout by .02
Was a great race to watch!
No video Nova?!?! Awww, now you're hurting my feelings lol! Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. What kind of tire pressure you running with those tires? Also, you building a lil boost before launch?

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Well on the building boost for launch response, I understand what you're saying. However, that depends on the type of drag racing you're doing. Some just want the fastest time at the strip and aren't Bracket racing as we call it. Bracket racing is a whole other venue in drag racing, consistency is the main key lol! B/o = bad lol! (Breakouts for those that don't know, not body odor, but that too, is bad)

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Definitely on my list. I was just showing my wife what was involved last night (how simple it was). Maybe I'll have her do it. :)
Yeah, I have to agree I'm going to have to do the same thing. This Texas heat is killing my IAT's!!

Reactions: LitosWay

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Was my first time ever at a dragstrip. Best run out of 3 was 15.8 and I'm fully stock, even the crappy tires. Not sure if this time is any good but I had tons of fun and had better time than 2 Gens that I came together with.
What is the best way to take off in VT? First run (ever) I held it at around 4.5K and then WOT and dropped the clutch.. Resulted in spinning tires in one place until I hit 3rd, then I started moving...
Second run I held rpms at around 2.5K and then WOT, did much better, but still it was only 15.8...
Wonder if I should not try to gun it right off the bat but apply gas gradually?
Any suggestions? (Other than more practice)
You ran a 15.8 and had better times than Gens? O_O Yowzers. You'll get better, don't worry. Practice makes perfect.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Do NOT run with the traction control on, lower your launch rpms and don't necessarily hammer down full throttle off the take off to reduce some wheel spin. Another thing is to lower the tire pressure a tad for improved grip. Traction control is going to limit you severely.

Reactions: LitosWay and jworl
1 - 13 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.