Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need everyone's help. I purchased a set of wheels and tires (18x8.5 +38 offset, and 215/40/r18 tires), and I have a question about installing a 1inch spacer.. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tires and wheel measurements so please forgive me.

I realized after I purchased my expensive setup, that i could put a set of 18x9.5 +38 offset. My question is:
Can I put a 1inch spacer on my car with my 18x8.5 +38 offset to replicate the look of a 18x9.5 +38 offset?
The way I'm looking at it, is the spacer will push the the setup 1 in outwards which will cover the 1inch for the width? Please help me

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
What are the suspension specs? Any plans to go lower or change suspension specs with current setup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So doing extensive google research lol, I realized that with that tire/wheel setup and adding 1inch spacer it would look like a monster truck and look nothing like a 18x9.5 38 offset would look like. I realized that I need a 12mm spacer to match the poke of a 18x9.5 setup..

I used a tire calculator, and subtracted 38 offset with 12mm, and it gave me a +26 offset essentially on my 18x8.5, which essentially gives me the exact poke the setup I need.

Also I realized with some eibach lowering springs, and the fact I would need to get longer studs to fit my 12mm spacer, I realized that was to much of a hassle and more money that could be spent elsewhere.

I think I might just go with 8mm spacer and use my stock studs and call it a day.

Does anyone have any valid information on 8mm spacer being perfectly fine on stock stud lenght? I read some people say it's just safe enough and other say anything above 5mm should use longer studs..

Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So doing extensive google research lol, I realized that with that tire/wheel setup and adding 1inch spacer it would look like a monster truck and look nothing like a 18x9.5 38 offset would look like. I realized that I need a 12mm spacer to match the poke of a 18x9.5 setup..

I used a tire calculator, and subtracted 38 offset with 12mm, and it gave me a +26 offset essentially on my 18x8.5, which essentially gives me the exact poke the setup I need.

Also I realized with some eibach lowering springs, and the fact I would need to get longer studs to fit my 12mm spacer, I realized that was to much of a hassle and more money that could be spent elsewhere.

I think I might just go with 8mm spacer and use my stock studs and call it a day.

Does anyone have any valid information on 8mm spacer being perfectly fine on stock stud lenght? I read some people say it's just safe enough and other say anything above 5mm should use longer studs..

Can anyone clarify?
I'm using 6mm billet spacers with a 54mm hub centric opening and having only 4x100 holes for the studs.
Im able to use the stock studs and still have enough full turns of the lug nuts for good strength while torquing them to 90lbft.
Never had a problem with these and the car is driven hard.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
On that tire size people put 20 mm spacers on and clear even when lowered. Much more and the tires will rub/not clear.

With your setup I'd put the tires and wheels on the car as-is and lower it if doing so. Then put the rear under load and measure to see what will clear. Then do the same for the front. This will tell you the spacers needed to get the fitment you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trdtoy sorry if I did not answer it. I already have on hand the eibach pro kit which according to the site will drop the car 1.5inch. 18x8.5 with a +38 offset should look flush (based on other peopls pictures) with a tiny poke. I think if I drop it 1.5inch and get a 8mm spacer it should give me that extra poke I need without having any clearance issues or rub.

Misnblu- are you able to turn/tighten up to 6 full turns with 6mm spacers? On stock veloster studs? And you are saying you still have enough room?!

Anyone try 8mm on stocks and have no problem? I know 10mm spacer on stock studs will be an issue.

8mm will probably be the happy medium that will give me that clearance and that poke I'm looking for without any added extra effort or problems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I think why people are still able to use the 20mm spacers and lower it with no problems is because they are on stock wheels/tires which is an 18x7.5 with a +49 offset. 49-20mm= it will set the car at 18x7.5 +29 offset with a 66.3mm poke versus
18x8.5 with a +38 offset which is already at a 70mm poke.

Also the stock wheels have extra holes to allow 20mm spacer with added studs attached to them without having to shave down the stock studs.. my new wheels do not have that extra holes ):

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trdtoy sorry if I did not answer it. I already have on hand the eibach pro kit which according to the site will drop the car 1.5inch. 18x8.5 with a +38 offset should look flush (based on other peopls pictures) with a tiny poke. I think if I drop it 1.5inch and get a 8mm spacer it should give me that extra poke I need without having any clearance issues or rub.

Misnblu- are you able to turn/tighten up to 6 full turns with 6mm spacers? On stock veloster studs? And you are saying you still have enough room?!

Anyone try 8mm on stocks and have no problem? I know 10mm spacer on stock studs will be an issue.

8mm will probably be the happy medium that will give me that clearance and that poke I'm looking for without any added extra effort or problems
I'm turning at least 4-5 full turns before torque on stock studs. Never had an issue and personally would t go bigger than 6mm on a spacer.
Im also using McGard lug nuts which are known to be stronger than stock lugs.
Ive used McGard lugs in all my builds and they've lasted for the life of each car with no issues ever.

I probably will be doing ARP studs when I complete my rear axle swap and hub bearing and finish my front end build.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also I think why people are still able to use the 20mm spacers and lower it with no problems is because they are on stock wheels/tires which is an 18x7.5 with a +49 offset. 49-20mm= it will set the car at 18x7.5 +29 offset with a 66.3mm poke versus
18x8.5 with a +38 offset which is already at a 70mm poke.

Also the stock wheels have extra holes to allow 20mm spacer with added studs attached to them without having to shave down the stock studs.. my new wheels do not have that extra holes ):
You're using the studded spacers which is different than the plates I'm using.
Plates limit the hickness of the spacer due to stud length. Longer studs can be installed if you want the lighter weight plates spacers.
Studded spacers add weight to the unsprung axle weight which can effect ride and handling. 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn.. 6mm spacer only yields 5turns at most?.. I got some spline lugs sitting around not sure if they are just as strong mcguard lug nuts.. Damn maybe just cut my loses and stick to 5-6mm spacer.. was hoping I can at least reach 8mm spacer on stocks..

With all my reading from forum post to forum post some people are running spacers ranging from 5-8 with stock studs and claiming to be fine.. but I am starting to wonder about that lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was planning on getting some spacers without the added studs attached to them and was hoping my stocks could hold and tighten with 8mm spacers lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I was planning on getting some spacers without the added studs attached to them and was hoping my stocks could hold and tighten with 8mm spacers lol
My max plate spacer (7mm) I used safely was on my 1993 Toyota Paseo.
I also had the McGard lugs on the Paseo.
12 years with that setup and 175,000 miles later I never had an issue with the 7mm plates.
Good luck and post up a pic or 2 when it's finished or it never happened. 😂😉👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might just pull the trigger and buy 8mm spacers (hub centric).
I bought my wheel and tires which again are:
Tire: 215/40/r18
Wheel: 18x8.5 +38

Other mods:
Eibach lowering springs
And mobis struts/shocks
(Could of gone with koni yellows but no one in Las Vegas wanted to mess with them since you had to do some cutting apparently)

And yes I'll post it when it's done. Right now still waiting for the damn mobis to arrive since they are direct from korea lol. Bought them from socalgarage about a month ago.

In the garage waiting...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Please refer to post #6 before buying spacers to not potentially be out of some $.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please refer to post #6 before buying spacers to not potentially be out of some $.
Thanks trdtoy. I did not forget about your message. You implied that 20mm spacers with my tire size can still clear with no problems. But the idea of trying to see how it sits with the new springs and new tire and wheel setup is not a bad idea.

Also keep in mind I talked to a few members who are running 18x9.5 +38 with zero clearance issues and they have their vehicles lowered.

At this point adding 6-8mm spacers will be totally fine... I think.. but in the mean time, i will definitely check my car to see if i have clearance..

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks trdtoy. I did not forget about your message. You implied that 20mm spacers with my tire size can still clear with no problems. But the idea of trying to see how it sits with the new springs and new tire and wheel setup is not a bad idea.

Also keep in mind I talked to a few members who are running 18x9.5 +38 with zero clearance issues and they have their vehicles lowered.

At this point adding 6-8mm spacers will be totally fine... I think.. but in the mean time, i will definitely check my car to see if i have clearance..
Keep in mind anyone lowered on those wheel specs that clear are most likely not lowered much or are lowered on coilovers which is a lot different than on springs. Also they will be running tires with a stretch for sure likely a 215 or narrower.

So please follow my suggestion to not waste $ on anything else including body work

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I was looking at those mobis shocks/struts but waiting 1+ months for them not into that but they would keep me looking stock... do you have a tracking number? i got an email from greg that they would be 2-4 weeks to ship.

I have cut up struts for Konis in the past it isn't a problem. just a matter of it i want to change scca classes or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking at those mobis shocks/struts but waiting 1+ months for them not into that but they would keep me looking stock... do you have a tracking number? i got an email from greg that they would be 2-4 weeks to ship.

I have cut up struts for Konis in the past it isn't a problem. just a matter of it i want to change scca classes or not.
Yeah he told me that they are still waiting for it to arrive because there was some kind of holiday overseas.. I need my damn mobis already lol. I ordered it September 20th and still no tracking number or anything..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep in mind anyone lowered on those wheel specs that clear are most likely not lowered much or are lowered on coilovers which is a lot different than on springs. Also they will be running tires with a stretch for sure likely a 215 or narrower.

So please follow my suggestion to not waste $ on anything else including body work
Yep definitely going to see if it clears first with my eibachs.

Also I asked this person (shoutout to atl.vt)
He is on 225/40/18 with 18x9.5 +38 offset with ark gts spring (not sure how low those drop in comparison to my eibachs). Bu he claimed he had no issues really.

But before spending on any spacers I need to install everything and see how it settles.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts